USB Compatibility

screeched

Reaction score
My 2021 A6 Black Edition with Tech Pack was delivered today and as the USB ports have changed from the 2019 one I had I'm looking for a new storage device for in the car. Previously my C8 2019 had two USB-A, a microSD and a SIM slot in the centre arm rest, but the 2021 only has two USB-C. Proper First World problems here, but where they are located puts any USB key in danger of being whacked when using the wireless charging pad in there. I know I'll end up snapping or damaging the port. There is a nice slot to the side of the charging pad though that looks perfect shape for a nice M.2 storage device, with perhaps a short right angle USB cable to it.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, was the storage recognised? Has anyone gone as far as trying and NVMe drive in there?

They are standard USB-C slots so as long as the device you plug has a USB-C cable you should be OK. I bought a couple of USB-C to USB-A adaptors (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVX3516/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=) to make life a t little easier. Yet to try them out though.
Thanks. I managed to find some further info in the manual which suggested they are USB 2.0 ports, but the manual doesn't refer to the A or C types so will give it a try and see.

They are definitely Type C, which is rapidly beconing the new USB stadard as it is a much smaller size and can handle higher voltage for charging, many lapptops charge via USB-C port and also provides for faster data transfer

Reactions: Sibmets
I am using a USB C to SD card reader for storage of video and mp3. This is the link of the product:
Amazon product
Amazon product
C
A