USB Ports Functionality Question

sokkia

Reaction score
I have had my car for a few weeks now but been away on holiday so not had much chance to use it. One thing has been annoying me about the USB ports and wondered if everyone had the same functionality or lack of it.

So if I plug my IPhone into USB Port 1, that’s the one under the AC control on the 2018 model. Apple CarPlay works fine, Media player works fine and on playlists I get the full list of songs in the playlist.
If I plug into USB Port 2 thats in the phone box under the armrest then the CarPlay still works okay but I don’t get full track lists on playlists or albums through the Audi MMI player, it just shows single tracks and every now and again when the player starts the next track the info on the display doesn’t change. The system plays the next track but still displays name etc of the last track. Also noticed I don’t get album art in the virtual cockpit either from this port.

Is this normal as it’s a pain to have wires trailing across the dash when there is a port under the armrest.

I have the Tech Pack fitted but don’t think that should make a difference.

I know this isn’t ideal and I can’t speak of the MY2018 BUT, you can get a short USB to lightning cable. Make sure it’s MFI certified. Looks much neater.

Yeah but that would still mean plugging into the USB Port 1 under the AC controls to get full functionality. Seems daft when there is a purpose installed phone box, all be it one I can’t wirelessly charge with using my current phone it’s still a good phone holding point.

This is why I can't understand why Audi moved one of them in the first place. Perhaps feedback was telling them they needed one that was easier to access...

Even if it’s to have one that’s easy to access, why give the easy access one more functionality than the one that is better to store your phone. Surely they should both do the same thing? Or is one of my USB not working correctly.

I’ve got a wireless charging phone but it’s pointless because you have to plug the iPhone in to use CarPlay which in turn charges the phone.

Does seem strange. I wonder if it’s worth contacting Audi and getting a fix for this. Do you use CarPlay mostly? Do you have the same issue with CarPlay or just the MMI interface

I use Apple car play using the USB port under the arm rest. I’m constantly having issues with it. The track doesn’t change on the DIS display and the Spotify app constantly show black screens with no icons but the words Now Playing in it. I have a feeling all of this is Apple issues tho. I can’t imagine that Audi would include different USB standards in their cars, they must do the same. Did you get the official Audi cable supplied though or are you usIng an EBay special?

It’s an apple lead that came with the phone. Can’t see how the lead would make a difference when using different ports as works fine in the centre dash Port 1.

Apple car play works fine through both ports with the same functionality from both USBs though have to say I have used that less than the Audi interface. The Audi interface seems to work fine from USB 1 but again only recently switched to that having had ongoing issues with USB2. When I switched immediately noticed that USB1 gives album art where 2 didn’t and so far the track listing has kept up with the audio. Biggest immediate difference is that on USB1 all displays show the full album track listing or playlist listing, on USB2 you only get the playing track displayed.