Used 2010 A5 Sportback 2.0 Tfsi

50Five

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been looking into issues with this specific model of A5 and the 2.0 Tfsi engine. It seems there may be a few problems to look out for with the most serious being badly manufactured piston rings leading to oil leakage and the rest. Working within a tight budget I don't know whether to go for this car or not Reg: GD10BDO. The thing that bothers me is that is the MOT 23rd Nov 2020 shows an oil leak, the one carried out today didn't. I am in Edinburgh and the car is in the Midlands, if I decided to travel tomorrow how would I know if the oil leak was anything sinister and/or related to the piston rings?

If anyone would care to have a look at the MOT history and feedback any words of wisdom I would be much obliged. Oh, and I noticed there is only 1200 miles between the 2020 MOT and today, something to ask the seller about?

Reg: GD10BDO

Thanks for reading

Pistons rings wouldn’t show a visible leak as they’re in the engine!

If you’re not sure, don’t go. Not exactly a rare car. I don’t see anything untoward in those mot’s. The leak may still be there but the test is so subjective the last tester may have thought it didn’t warrant an advisory.

Pistons rings wouldn’t show a visible leak as they’re in the engine!

If you’re not sure, don’t go. Not exactly a rare car. I don’t see anything untoward in those mot’s. The leak may still be there but the test is so subjective the last tester may have thought it didn’t warrant an advisory.
Thanks Abmat. I, like you see nothing untoward in the MOT history and the Service History is good. Out of interest, if there was any oil leak what and where might it be coming from? I know it's got a good few years and miles on it so I expect wear and tear, just not ready for a huge bill of any sort after purchase of any car. Cheers

I don’t like the mot history. The last few years have been irregular and it failed twice for a missing seat belt buckle, but in-between those tests passed.

is it on autotrader?

Being honest I wouldn’t travel from Edinburgh to the midlands for one, but that’s just me. Also looking on autotrader the price seems very low by a couple of K. I’d be wondering why.

Being honest I wouldn’t travel from Edinburgh to the midlands for one, but that’s just me. Also looking on autotrader the price seems very low by a couple of K. I’d be wondering why.
Yeah, I did wonder about the lower price. However, what I have found over the last weeks/months is that you get some private sellers who are selling at market value (£4500 is almost bang on for year & miles). There are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon and marking their cars up by 1-2k over current list value, mainly dealers or auction buyers selling 2-3 cars a month style. As for travelling, I have nearly always travelled as Edinburgh prices are ridiculous and there are far fewer cars than south of the border.

Reactions: abmat
With covid, cars have been standing allot, hence low mileage, however 2 failed due to missing belt buckle seems very odd tbh which also showing as passed on Inbetweeners, I'd probably look for another if they cant explain the buckle issue, as which cars dont have buckles, none tbh if going for mot given its an absolute must to pass.

Reactions: abmat
Yeah, I did wonder about the lower price. However, what I have found over the last weeks/months is that you get some private sellers who are selling at market value (£4500 is almost bang on for year & miles). There are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon and marking their cars up by 1-2k over current list value, mainly dealers or auction buyers selling 2-3 cars a month style. As for travelling, I have nearly always travelled as Edinburgh prices are ridiculous and there are far fewer cars than south of the border.
If the majority of equivalent cars are advertised for 6.5k, then that is market value. I can’t find any as low as 4.5.
I’d walk away(or not go!)

Reactions: 50Five
I never thought about that, DOH! As for the belt buckle, weird, I know. I'm probably going to pass, I am not going to rush things and to be honest with the price of cars at the moment I might look to try and save some additional cash to get a newer car.

With covid, cars have been standing allot, hence low mileage, however 2 failed due to missing belt buckle seems very odd tbh which also showing as passed on Inbetweeners, I'd probably look for another if they cant explain the buckle issue, as which cars dont have buckles, none tbh if going for mot given its an absolute must to pass.
I never thought about that, DOH! As for the belt buckle, weird, I know. I'm probably going to pass, I am not going to rush things and to be honest with the price of cars at the moment I might look to try and save some additional cash to get a newer car.

Gumtree is really bad for scammers, so its probably something amiss.

If the majority of equivalent cars are advertised for 6.5k, then that is market value. I can’t find any as low as 4.5.
I’d walk away(or not go!)
Yeah, I get that but all I meant was when checking Autotrader ir similar using the reg/mileage it is around the 4.5k for that car. The market is just daft right now, 2004 basic A4's for around the 3.5k mark. As i said in another reply, might save some more cash for a younger car. If you hear of anything petrol from an A1 , A3, or A5 Sportback or A4 Avant let me know. Thanks for your input, abmat

Gumtree is really bad for scammers, so its probably something amiss.
Yeah, I get that. There are some decent folk though, you get a bit of a feel for it when you start chatting and this one seems kosher. Anyway, back to driving my girlfriends spare car for now...Suzuki Alto :racer: Cheers