Used A7 advice please :)

Jukes

Reaction score
Hi,

After some advice please!

Popped ino local Audi garage the other day as looking to change out my 2 year old 320D GT in september (I've been driving 3 series's for 8 years and fancied a change).

I was intending to check out some A5's / A6's but got totally distracted by a 2015 A7 3.0 TDI Quattro 272 - Black Edition.
(the others just didn't cut it after sitting in the A7, same as the Jaguars I saw straight after)

I'm basically looking for some advice regarding what I should be looking for in a used one?
The one above was £28K which was more than I was looking to spend in all honesty but is there a year you'd totally avoid, any surprises at certain mileages (like the turbo's going on the 320D's at 100,00-120,000 miles).

Any advice appreciated and hopefully I'll be joining the elite A7 club in the near future !!

Thanks

Simon

My thoughts :
2015 is going to be the facelift so thats good and with the BE spec, you'll have a fairly decent spec (heated/elec seats, headsup display,bose, bigger wheels, matrix lights )
How much has it done mileage-wise? I got mine in Feb - also 2015 for the same price and had done 20k

I don't think there are any obvious/known issues with these - especially the 272 engine...its a pretty solid car.
I've had no major issues since ownership with any small annoyances like rattles covered under warranty.

4 months on - still puts a smile on my face not to mention the (good) looks people still give it ... or rather its back

So that's a facelift car which is a definite plus (new style lights front and rear, plus matrix headlights -very cool and minor changes in the cabin)

Doesn't look like it has the tech pack - no headsup display, ACC etc. so worth checking what level of navigation/MMI it has. Think l can just about spot a SIM card in the MMI panel, which is good.

It's a big car, and really needs a rear view camera as standard. If there isn't one fitted, ask if they will fit one as a deal closer (about £800 worth, though can be fitted as an aftermarket)

Quite high mileage for a 2 year old, but as long as full service shouldn't have any mechanical issues. Brake dust is a nightmare and this leads to quite a lot of low speed brake squeal. Audi won't do anything, but aftermarket cures are available.

The most popular diesel in the A6/7 range is the BiTDI which has more power that the regular TDI, so you should have some margin to play with on price :racer:

Good spot RAF - I also noticed with the link that there is no tech pack so as you mention, no headsup etc
I thought the sim part only came with tech pack? Either way, the screen is smaller and the buttons on the panel are just that as opposed to the touch

Personally, I think it's too much money for the mileage and spec - Mine was same plate, same engine, from a dealer, full audi service history and under remaining warranty, 30k less mileage, with tech pack for around the same price. Maybe I was lucky or maybe they've gone up in price recently...

With the facelift, from memory the most obvious changes were that the 218/272 (used to be 204/245bhp) 3.0 engine was introduced in the facelift range along with led headlights as standard.

Reactions: Jukes and RAF_S7
Dieselgate has pushed diesel prices down, not up.
I agree, I think the price is on the high side given the mileage and spec.

Reactions: Jukes
Thanks Fella's, give me a shout if you come across anything worth a look ;)

Brake dust is a nightmare and this leads to quite a lot of low speed brake squeal. Audi won't do anything, but aftermarket cures are available.

Sorry to thread-jump.

RAF, can you expand on this please buddy?

I have terrible brake squeal and would love to know a solution.

Cheers

The disks themselves are fine, its the pads that cause the problem.

I changed my pads just after 15,000 miles. Not only were the wheels coated in black brake dust after just a few miles of driving (after washing the car) the low speed squeal was just embarrassing. Slowing down in town or at traffic lights and everyone would look. Couldn't pull into my estate without everyone looking it was that bad.

Pressure wash the car, and the squealing was gone, for about two days, then back again as the dust built up. Dealer didn't want anything to do with it - its normal they said.

In the end I changed the pads (front and rear) to a set of EBC RedStuff pads - these have a high ceramic content, and generate very little dust. Im now just over 23k miles, and the squealing is just a distant memory, and the brake dust pretty much a thing of the past. Cant recommend the EBCs highly enough.

Audi wont fit them (as they are non OEM) so find a good independent to do the job for you - unless your going to tackle yourself. (The rears need VCDS to release the electronic parking brake in order to change the pads)

The EBCs don't include the wear sensor (you can reuse the original if its not worn) You may also need to reuse the front dampening pads from your original brakes (model dependant)

You can purchase from EBC direct here.

Cheers,
John.

Reactions: mister.c.
The disks themselves are fine, its the pads that cause the problem.

I changed my pads just after 15,000 miles. Not only were the wheels coated in black brake dust after just a few miles of driving (after washing the car) the low speed squeal was just embarrassing. Slowing down in town or at traffic lights and everyone would look. Couldn't pull into my estate without everyone looking it was that bad.

Pressure wash the car, and the squealing was gone, for about two days, then back again as the dust built up. Dealer didn't want anything to do with it - its normal they said.

In the end I changed the pads (front and rear) to a set of EBC RedStuff pads - these have a high ceramic content, and generate very little dust. Im now just over 23k miles, and the squealing is just a distant memory, and the brake dust pretty much a thing of the past. Cant recommend the EBCs highly enough.

Audi wont fit them (as they are non OEM) so find a good independent to do the job for you - unless your going to tackle yourself. (The rears need VCDS to release the electronic parking brake in order to change the pads)

The EBCs don't include the wear sensor (you can reuse the original if its not worn) You may also need to reuse the front dampening pads from your original brakes (model dependant)

You can purchase from EBC direct here.

Cheers,
John.

Thanks so much John, really appreciate the response.

It's booked in at Audi next Monday for this and a couple of other issues - I'll see what they do / say before I order up some redstuff pads.

Thanks again

Reactions: RAF_S7