Used Audi not doing the "approved used checks" properly

DJslim

Reaction score
Hi there i am posting up on behalf of a friend that has just purchased an 09 Audi A3 sportback 1.6 petrol.
unfortunalty within 1 week he has suffered a 50 mph blowout and a failure of the central locking, he has now had to pay for a considerable taxi journey from the middle of nowhere as well as quite a few other items from the 145 point inspection (missing keys ect)

My question to you guys is what would you be asking for from the garage that sold it to him in compensation and how would you go forward with regards to dealing with the dealer. (Audi main Dealer)

Many thanks guys for all your support

When you pick up an approved used are you get given the 145 point inspection report and you are supposed to check it before handover. If it said "3 keys" and he only got 2 then they should be giving him the extra one for no charge, so he should have approached them about that instead of paying for the extra ones and it's unlikely they will reimburse him.

In terms of the blowout; did he check the inspection report and check the tires were in good condition himself? If not then he hasn't got much come back as Audi could say the tires were ok and the blowout was caused by something else (road debris etc). One of the first things I did when I got my car home was check the tires as that was going to be a big expense if they needed replacing.

If the central locking has failed then this should be covered under the 12 months warranty you get with an approved used Audi. You also get Key Insurance which covers any fault with locks - they should fix it without charge.

Any failures of the car that are covered under warranty and have left him stranded he should have called the number for his Audi Roadside Assistance which you get for the 12 month warranty period, if you don't do that and make your own arrangements then the costs (taxi etc) are not reimbursable. Terms and Conditions of the assistance plan state this. Of course this would not cover his blowout......that's just a tire failure and it'd be difficult to prove Audi were at fault.

Trying not to jump to any conclusions here, but it doesn't sound like he paid much attention when he picked the car up as all over this would have either been covered verbally or covered in his purchase pack, and you certainly go through your pack when you pick up something like a car to find out exactly what benefits you have and what you are (and are not) covered for.

Reactions: SamHendry