Using Alloygators on diamond cut wheels

BeagleKCH

Reaction score
I was looking at using Alloygators on a new A4, since they seemed to offer more protection than Rimblades. I then saw on their website that they were not recommended for diamond cut wheels due to a risk of retaining moisture under them, which in turn might cause pitting. I'd be interested for people's experience of using them on diamond cuts, since whatever the risk of damage, me curbing the wheels eventually is a near certainty.

I got alloy insurance from Audi when I bought the car (thrown if for free as well). I am rather ashamed to admit that I already curbed the driver side, had it completely refurbished and re-skimmed and looked brand new. Only just gone and ****** scuffed it again!

They don't recommend getting it done more than twice so now I'm thinking of holding of for a while incase I nick it again...I dont think I should be allowed nice things....

I looked at alloygators, but to me they are as ugly as those old bonnet bras to protect from stone chips....I would prefer to live with the stone chips than drive about with that stuck on my car. The black gators can look alright, but if it risks damaging the diamond cut as well then I certainly wouldn't consider them.

Reactions: Raiden and BeagleKCH
Seen too many stories of Alloygators and similar products coming loose at speed and flicking 'round' the paintwork around the wheelarch and door and ruining it all

Reactions: Gazwould and BeagleKCH
Diamond cut , looks nice but H I G H maintenance , your choice .

Reactions: BeagleKCH
Diamond cut refurbing is starting to become more common now, although it will set you back at least £500.

I tried looking at "wheel protection" for my alloys (Not diamond cut) and there doesn't seem to be anything reliable out there.

As more cars roll off the production line with diamond cut alloys (Common place now for Renault, Nissan etc)the refurb costs will come down.

I'd hold out and just be careful

Reactions: BeagleKCH