Help Please V158 Temperature Flap Motor Location with Pics

Liber_A4_te

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a faulty V158 Temperature Flap Motor but cannot seem to locate where it is. I have stripped the glovebox and associated heating ducts. I have searched nearly every forum and cannot find a B8 reference for this location.

I have hooked up VCDS and run the the output tests for each motor and noted on the pictures attached which one is which.
  • Can anyone confirm where this V158 Flap Motor can be located?
  • Anyone have access to Elsawin for alternate Audi Drawings to show this location?
  • Anyone have/know of a DIY for the V158 Flap motor?
Any Help would be greatly appreciated
HVAC 2
HVAC 3
HVAC 4

Hi mate hope you’re well, I’m having the exact same issue, did you manage to find out where this motor was?

Cheers

The V158 (left) motor is mounted above the aircon evaporator core. To access this motor, in addition to removing the glovebox, you need to also remove the 2 air ducts and then the blower motor air housing.

What error/problem is the motor exhibiting?

The V158 (left) motor is mounted above the aircon evaporator core. To access this motor, in addition to removing the glovebox, you need to also remove the 2 air ducts and then the blower motor air housing.

What error/problem is the motor exhibiting?
Hi, thank you for the reply, the motor is making a really annoying clicking noise and also there is no hot air on the passenger side. Do you have a step by step guide showing how I remove the air ducts and blower motor air housing please? Is this a big job? lol

Ok, without knowing the exact noise its making, it sounds like your problem may be the same as in this video:

If so, the video will show you exactly what is likely to be the problem - not the V158 motor, but rather the holder bracket that the motor is mounted on having broken. Note that you don’t need to repair the bracket like in the video, you can purchase a replacement part from an Audi dealer. Read all the comments about the video also, they are helpful. You will need VCDS as used in the video to test the replaced part and to recalibrate your aircon. I’ve replaced this part in my own car just as in the video so can help with any questions.

Thats really helpful mate mine sounds exactly the same, you don’t happen to have the part number for the bracket do you? Thank you for sll your help

No probs, this V158 bracket clearly is a weakness as many owners have had this occur. If you read through all the comments and replies accompanying the Youtube video, the part number is stated somewhere.

No probs, this V158 bracket clearly is a weakness as many owners have had this occur. If you read through all the comments and replies accompanying the Youtube video, the part number is stated somewhere.
Ah, found the Audi part number for you - 8K2820892.

Hi mate, finally got round to doing this, eventually managed to get the motor out and as expected it was a broken bracket! So I’ve replaced the constant tapping has now gone BUT i noticed that when i put the temp to cold, just before the motor stops it makes one loud click, i noticed that if i push the bracket a little it doesn’t do it (I’ve opened and rechecked all the screws and fitting and everything is tight and as it should be) and it doesn’t do it when i put temp to hot. I’m a little confused, could this be something to do with calibration?

Cheers

Hi mate, finally got round to doing this, eventually managed to get the motor out and as expected it was a broken bracket! So I’ve replaced the constant tapping has now gone BUT i noticed that when i put the temp to cold, just before the motor stops it makes one loud click, i noticed that if i push the bracket a little it doesn’t do it (I’ve opened and rechecked all the screws and fitting and everything is tight and as it should be) and it doesn’t do it when i put temp to hot. I’m a little confused, could this be something to do with calibration?

Cheers
Good work. The breaking of these brackets seem to be fairly common with ageing B8’s. Have you performed the re-calibration using VCDS or similar?

I’ve noticed a slight issue, although the passenger side is now blowing hot air and is switching temp without any issues, the clicking noise is still there, would this be because it needs calibrating? Surely if the motor wasn’t in right it wouldn’t change the temp?

I’ve noticed a slight issue, although the passenger side is now blowing hot air and is switching temp without any issues, the clicking noise is still there, would this be because it needs calibrating? Surely if the motor wasn’t in right it wouldn’t change the temp?
I wouldn’t have expected the clicking noise to still be there, but regardless you do need to re-calibrate if you have not already. The recalibration will set the open-close limits for the flaps, and the aircon is unlikely to work normally until you re-calibrate.

So I’ve finally figured out why it is still clicking, spent over 2 hours lying in the passenger footwell, the clicking is because the little nobbly bit on the holder (next to the bit that rotates, the bit that usually breaks) should sit in a hole to ensure the motor doesn’t move...but this doesn’t it seems like the hole isn’t big enough, so I’m thinking of putting a thinner screw through it like in the video to ensure it sits in the hole and doesn’t move, i think this should hold the motor in place?

So I’ve finally figured out why it is still clicking, spent over 2 hours lying in the passenger footwell, the clicking is because the little nobbly bit on the holder (next to the bit that rotates, the bit that usually breaks) should sit in a hole to ensure the motor doesn’t move...but this doesn’t it seems like the hole isn’t big enough, so I’m thinking of putting a thinner screw through it like in the video to ensure it sits in the hole and doesn’t move, i think this should hold the motor in place?
? If you’ve purchased the same part as the one that broke, that “nobbly bit” should be identical(?). Did you locate the old broken nobbly bit to compare the two for size?

Nope, I couldn’t find it and it’s definitely not in the hole either, I’ll just have to do what the chap in the video does, like this it’ll be much stronger aswell :-|

Finally! So i had to modify the cover and mess around with it but i finally got it to sit where it should and noe the noise has definitely gone! I’m getting cold air on passenger side but I’m assuming this is because the flap needs calibrating?

Reactions: matt_a4
Finally! So i had to modify the cover and mess around with it but i finally got it to sit where it should and noe the noise has definitely gone! I’m getting cold air on passenger side but I’m assuming this is because the flap needs calibrating?
Good on you - that was a bit painful in the end, but you got there. Yes, incorrect air temps on the passenger side will almost certainly be because you need to re-calibrate the flap positioning.

MY garage says that in the workshop manual on a right hand a4 you have to remove steering column and pedals to get to it? anyone got any other guides? Seems like some people have done this via the glove box?

Any body got an guides or advice on removing the vents and blower motor housing ?

Any body got an guides or advice on removing the vents and blower motor housing ?

Cheers
Bringing an old thread back to life but how did you remove the motor housing. I need to do this now myself

Just joined with the same problem among the many others I'm finding along the way. Did you get that out in the end? Just tried today, all the glovebox and ducting was simple enough to get out, then can see the motor is easy to remove but unsure how to get the full thing out without breaking anything. Seems to be a latch type plastic piece in the top right that hooks over the lip and a bolt on the metal bracket to the left hand side. After that I can't really tell and dont want to just pull on it

Just joined with the same problem among the many others I'm finding along the way. Did you get that out in the end? Just tried today, all the glovebox and ducting was simple enough to get out, then can see the motor is easy to remove but unsure how to get the full thing out without breaking anything. Seems to be a latch type plastic piece in the top right that hooks over the lip and a bolt on the metal bracket to the left hand side. After that I can't really tell and dont want to just pull on it
Yeah I fixed mine.Remove bolt on left,the plastic white thing u push up slightly and pull it towards the passanger seat and that releases the air box. I posted a vid of how the clip comes off on the uk audi a4 owners facebook page

Yeah I fixed mine.Remove bolt on left,the plastic white thing u push up slightly and pull it towards the passanger seat and that releases the air box. I posted a vid of how the clip comes off on the uk audi a4 owners facebook page
Nice one mate, will have a go next weekend, I dont have facebook but will see if can use someone elses and have a look, cheers

Nice one mate, will have a go next weekend, I dont have facebook but will see if can use someone elses and have a look, cheers
this is looking from above the blower box after it's removed...you can see the white plastic clip that you push up and slide towards you to release the blower housing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-105417_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-105417_Video Player.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 709
Cheers for that, it does help to be able to see how it works first, nice one for the help, I'll have a go and see how I get on. Unplugged the glovebox too when digging for this clicking part and now have airbag light to add to the list, and the sun was in my eyes at the time so I pulled the passenger sun visor down and the clip that stops it flapping about snapped, the joys

Cheers for that, it does help to be able to see how it works first, nice one for the help, I'll have a go and see how I get on. Unplugged the glovebox too when digging for this clicking part and now have airbag light to add to the list, and the sun was in my eyes at the time so I pulled the passenger sun visor down and the clip that stops it flapping about snapped, the joys
Same thing happened me , eBay for visor clip and my airbag light went off after about a week by itself

Hi, I'm trying to get to my V158. I'm a bit stuck at the moment. See pics as to where I am at now. Can anyone advise what I need to do next? Any more bits needs removing? Or do I just need to release the white clip. I'm not sure where it's located?

Thumbnail 20210508 153004

Thumbnail 20210508 153012

Hi, I'm trying to get to my V158. I'm a bit stuck at the moment. See pics as to where I am at now. Can anyone advise what I need to do next? Any more bits needs removing? Or do I just need to release the white clip. I'm not sure where it's located?

View attachment 236644
View attachment 236645
The blower housing needs to come out....read above and I described how to remove it

I do have an 8P S3. When I first posted hadn't noticed this was an A4 thread. But was hoping it would be the same if not similar. Was ******* down today when I had a go at removing. Hopefully get a dry spell tomorrow and take another look at it.

I do have an 8P S3. When I first posted hadn't noticed this was an A4 thread. But was hoping it would be the same if not similar. Was ******* down today when I had a go at removing. Hopefully get a dry spell tomorrow and take another look at it.
Tbh I was looking on eBay at the housing and I can't see any slide like the a4 to remove it so it must be bolted in somehow. Look on eBay or Google at blower housing pics and that might give you an idea how it's attached. Sorry I can't be of more help

Did you get someone to scan an make sure that's the offending flap...the a4 has four but it's this one that causes all the issues

That sounds like a good idea to look at the blower housings on ebay. Will have a look now. Cheers.

For the benefit of others with an 8P S3 that end up finding this thread, the arrow in the pic below points to the V158. If you have VAGCOM you can run tests on it and if it doesn't move then you know its' broken/power issue. Got a replacement off ebay for £10. If it fails again I'm going to look into replacing the internals myself. Sod paying ~£90 for a motor, a potentiometer and some plastic.
V158

Finally got the job done, had several other more pressing problems pop up beforehand. Definitely a love hate car. Thanks for the help, wouldn't have worked that out by myself. Plastic part was cheap on eBay, broken in exactly the same way almost by design, a real pig to fit and line up but no more clicking, hate to think what Audi would have wanted for that.

Finally got the job done, had several other more pressing problems pop up beforehand. Definitely a love hate car. Thanks for the help, wouldn't have worked that out by myself. Plastic part was cheap on eBay, broken in exactly the same way almost by design, a real pig to fit and line up but no more clicking, hate to think what Audi would have wanted for that.
Glad it's all sorted....yeah definitely hate for a Audi quote to do this job lol. Not as bad as I thought it would have been