Vacuum caused turbo & brake servo problems

Austineer

King of cabs ;)
Reaction score
Guys,

I have finaly decided there is something definately wrong with my car. After driving home yest having a bit of a play I was thinking to myself 'this doesn't feel like anything over 200 bhp' and yet as stated on my previous post I had full boost (1.0 bar) indicated on my gauge.

However when on my last 10 miles or so my car transformed literaly instantly. Throttle response become much crisper and the car just seemed to have much more power yet amazingly no difference in boost.

An additional thing I noticed was a transformation in the brakes. I have been wondering if there has been something wrong with them since I had the car and was one of the reasons for the change of discs & pads with a full bleed of the brake fluid.

Though this did give a mild improvement it was nothing significant. Now after yest my brakes have sharpened up by a big margin. The brake pedal travel has reduced about at least a inch with the amount of braking effort required by the foot has reduced by at least half if not more.

After this I began to think about what limited knowledge I knew about the brake system with their being a feed off one of the vacuum lines for brake servo. (So guys a bit of help here would be appreciated in what system is used and what sensors are used by the brake system).

So as a guess I am thinking that I was driving round with my brakes either having limited or no servo assistance. This would explain the excessive brake pedal travel and the crap performance.

The one thing that got me was that it seemed if the increased performance of the engine/turbo and the increased performanced in the brakes were somehow linked by a fault somewhere in the system i.e. same vacuum feed for engine/turbo & brakes used.

I am guesssing that its a vacuum as my indicated positive boost hasn't changed. so any thoughts would be appreciated guys.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

I have finaly decided there is something definately wrong with my car. After driving home yest having a bit of a play I was thinking to myself 'this doesn't feel like anything over 200 bhp' and yet as stated on my previous post I had full boost (1.0 bar) indicated on my gauge.

However when on my last 10 miles or so my car transformed literaly instantly. Throttle response become much crisper and the car just seemed to have much more power yet amazingly no difference in boost.

An additional thing I noticed was a transformation in the brakes. I have been wondering if there has been something wrong with them since I had the car and was one of the reasons for the change of discs & pads with a full bleed of the brake fluid.

Though this did give a mild improvement it was nothing significant. Now after yest my brakes have sharpened up by a big margin. The brake pedal travel has reduced about at least a inch with the amount of braking effort required by the foot has reduced by at least half if not more.

After this I began to think about what limited knowledge I knew about the brake system with their being a feed off one of the vacuum lines for brake servo. (So guys a bit of help here would be appreciated in what system is used and what sensors are used by the brake system).

So as a guess I am thinking that I was driving round with my brakes either having limited or no servo assistance. This would explain the excessive brake pedal travel and the crap performance.

The one thing that got me was that it seemed if the increased performance of the engine/turbo and the increased performanced in the brakes were somehow linked by a fault somewhere in the system i.e. same vacuum feed for engine/turbo & brakes used.

I am guesssing that its a vacuum as my indicated positive boost hasn't changed. so any thoughts would be appreciated guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat,

On the A3, there was a recall for the part you mention. The vacuum line to the brake servo fails. If i were you i would see about replacing it...Should only be a few ££. Thats really the only thing which will account for crap brakes AND crap performance! Keep us informed.

Rich

hi all , see vaccuum seal? this thread is similar to my car's symptoms. what is the conclusion anyone?