Vacuum lines on central locking pump

vetch

A4 Avant
Reaction score
One of the vacuum lines on my central locking pump has torn/snapped off. Obviously the central locking doesn't work as the pump is disconnected (and as I don't want the pump to "over run" I wont be using it either).

So, can this vacuum line/pipe be easily replaced?? I hope so!

HAve you had the pump out, is it definitely the hose that's split? The reason I ask is that the othe common issue is for the pump mechanism inside can fail and you can buy a recon kit off ebay.

Yeah, its definitely the hose. Its not split, its torn completely from the pump - Im the one who did it! I didnt know what the central locking pump was, but it was directly in front of the Bose sub (which I am looking to remove) so I was gently easing it out and one of the small vacuum hoses tore off. Gutted!

Those hoses get very brittle over the years and its very common for the hoses to split/rip when removing the pump. I shouldn't think its an easy job to replace due to the location of the pump.

Can you cut off the bad part of the hose and maybe get a plastic insert to bridge the gap to the pump?

I've been thinking of doing something along those lines, but the hose has torn right at the very end, just before the plastic end bit that goes into the pump!

Any idea how far into the car these hoses go?

I'd still be in the same position though, wouldn't I? Unless a replacement pump would have the hoses attached so that I could splice them to my hoses?

Ive just realised your local to me! You have PM mate.

whats the common issue with the pump ?? my central locking packed in last night... i can hear the pump run so i thought it would be a popped off pipe or something... could it be worth checking the pump first ?

There's not really enough pressure in the system for a pipe to pop off. If you can hear the pump but nothing is happening the most common thing is that the mechanism inside the pump has broken.

Do a few searches on here because there is a guide somewhere to fixing it with a recon kit off of ebay. Only costs about £30