VAG DPF app on CBAB engine...

ScottyP45

Reaction score
Anyone tried the vag dpf app on android for the 2.0 CR 103 kw engine? Supposed to work under the CFFB code but mine won't connect. I spent ****** £65 on an obdlink lx adaptor but that was a mistake perhaps as although it was recommended by the app author, I'm not sure it isn't that which is actually incompatible. I have a carista one coming today for £15 which I know should work. The obdlink app works but its crap anyway, but carista app reports the obdljnk adaptor is only elm327 v1.3 and should be 1.4 for CAN compatibility hence why I suspect it could be the issue and have ordered the carista one.

I just want to know the status of my regens while driving as I'm in heavy city traffic for ages each day, with a short burst of motorway at the end so if I knew it was doing a regen I'd keep driving till it finished.

Vag dpf says "adaptor responds to OBD 2 requests but not CAN xxx xxx requests. Engine or adaptor may be incompatible"

Update: I got the Carista app and adaptor, works well but again VAG DPF cannot read the DPF status on the CR TDI 140 engine at all, I spoke to the app author (VAD DPF that is) and he says it (CBAB) uses an old protocol that he can't figure out.

Has anyone been able to read DPF status with any app at all on the 140 CR engine?

There are PID's available on the various apps but so far none relating to PM (particulate matter) or DPF have produced any data. As my car has just gone over 100k I really want to be able to easily see when a regen is required without resorting to hooking the laptop up with VCDS, and an app over Bluetooth would be excellent.

Im using the VAG DPF app on my 2010 140 TDI - not sure what my engine code is I'll check. Its a brilliant app and very handy for letting you know when the regen is complete.

Cheers Chris, PIDs 06b2 and 0601 report data, but not in the format that either vag dpf or torque pro expects. Even using a custom PID CSV from tdiclub for VW I had no luck. I spoke to Daaren Applaga the writer of vag dpf and he said he could get data from the CBAB but it should be the same as the cffb engine, though that doesn't work for me.

Just checked and mines a CFFB. Strange how it doesn't work for you like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190617_180519_com.applagapp.vagdpf.jpg
    Screenshot_20190617_180519_com.applagapp.vagdpf.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 386
Yeah seems the CBAB doesn't respond but the CFFB does....VW emissions scandal methinks. The car is acting dumb when you ask it to report any DPF pids

Nah I didn't get it done, too many folk unhappy with the car afterwards - I'm unhappy enough with it as it is without making it worse.

Only thing I notice is a weekly regen - but as my journeys are quite short this is to be expected. Whats up with yours like? Since I bought mine a year ago mines been faultless.

My journey is 20 miles of crawling traffic each way, the soot keeps rising and it has tried to regen 5 times, but had no successful regens. Id like to know when it is trying so I can maybe drive past home and up the motorway to let it finish. I wish it let you know when it was happening, so I got a Carista adaptor and it works fine but vag dpf can't read the dpf figures. I now realise that VCDS can't either over OBD so it's not supported. More to do with the whole emissions thing. I can read the DPF vis engine blocks, but not over OBD even using VCDS and the hex interface.

The car has cost me a fortune in just 5 months with various failures and I'm adding 1200 miles a month so want to make sure the DPF doesn't hit the critical soot level and need a new one. It's at 17g just now and no doubt if it can't regen, it will hit the 45g limit in due course.

A good way of knowing its regening is to watch your idle, as it'll idle about 1000RPM during the process. And you could then drive round until it the idle drops back to its usual level.

Are you sure its not your OBD dongle that might be the issue? Is it supported by VAGDPF? i am using this dongle:

Amazon product

Cheers Chris, that link doesn't work mate can you repost it? I have a carista adaptor which is really good as far as I can tell. All the extra coding works so surely I should be able to read the DPF eh. I had an obdlink LX one before that cost a fortune and didn't do as much as the carista. It didn't work on the vag DPF app either.

Cheers mate, that looks like a nice wee adaptor. I may get one of those yet for later use.

so latest...I bought a Foxwell nt520 pro handheld that is configured for vag, can do others if you pay for add on software but first car brand is free. This badboy can do vag coding, adaptations, check dpf soot load and trigger regens among much more. Usually £300 but I got one direct from Foxwell for £120. Saves me trying to run with a notebook connected.

Yep, you need to know the block numbers but either looking them up on rosstech wiki or know them from VCDS, allows coding of new or existing modules, and reading & logging live data.

Dpf stuff is straight from the main menu icons. It's a cracking tool. Just updating it now which takes a while, but it's got dealer level diags and coding in a handheld and if you change car makes later or the wife has a non vag, just pay £40 to download the firmware for the new car.

Here's a vid on using the functions on vag...i have the later model 520 pro that has a better button layout as this guy suggests for the 510. Cheapest place to get one is www.foxwelltool.co.uk and I ordered mine Friday, it arrived this morning so definitely UK stock but the warranty is with foxwell China not UK since the company is actually based there and the UK mob are just approved resellers. It's more expensive to buy from foxwell UK.

I called the UK branch in Wales to check it was authentic which they confirmed.

So I hooked up the nt520 and it works like a charm. Once programmed to talk vag canbus, it went straight into dpf data from the menu. Looks like I've got 99ml of oil ash and soot level is at 7.5g so far. I reckon I'll get another 45k miles out of the DPF as long as the regens happen and I won't keep the car that long (to hit 150k) so all good so far!

It even reads the module faults codes I already know about and displays coding options from the menu without knowing the block numbers, but also works if you know the block you want to look at or alter and is bi directional (can set or read any data including coding keys and clusters!)

Good that you can finally read your DPF values now. When mine completes its regens the filter stays 24% full. Not sure what the actual soot value is at this level though without checking. I figure I've got plenty life in it yet like you have.

I think if i have any issues or problems with the DPF/EGR, I'm going to remove the lot. But so far so good and I think it will be fine as long as you let the regens complete which I always do.

Do you run any additives in yours? I use Millers with every fill up. Definitely makes a difference to MPG and I'm hoping it does internally.

Yeah I use diesel redex every 2 tanks and every third or fourth tank I now put redex dpf cleaner in and I'm going to run v power now instead of Tesco diesel. I know now they accumulate about 1ml of oil ash every 1000 miles and the absolute limit according to VCDS is 145ml. If the soot level goes too high with no regen done then it's lights out for the DPF as Audi say it can't be regenerated without a risk of fire. Max that can be regenerated is 45g.

Good that you can finally read your DPF values now. When mine completes its regens the filter stays 24% full. Not sure what the actual soot value is at this level though without checking. I figure I've got plenty life in it yet like you have.

I think if i have any issues or problems with the DPF/EGR, I'm going to remove the lot. But so far so good and I think it will be fine as long as you let the regens complete which I always do.

Do you run any additives in yours? I use Millers with every fill up. Definitely makes a difference to MPG and I'm hoping it does internally.

So if yours is 24% full, that's about 36ml of oil ash, has your car only covered about 40-50k miles? Mine's at 68% now and just hit 100k.

So if yours is 24% full, that's about 36ml of oil ash, has your car only covered about 40-50k miles? Mine's at 68% now and just hit 100k.

When mine completes its regen its down to 5.55g of soot mass and 0.07l of oil ash residue. Its just about to flick over to 65k mate

Ah ok so 70ml for 65k, that's about bang on. The 24% doesn't make any sense unless it's the level of soot till regen time, I thought that should clear each regen to zero. I took it you meant 24% of filter lifespan.

Last edited:
Yeah i presumed it only going down to 24% meant it was a quarter full of its projected lifespan. How often does yours regen? Mine does it every week, so about every 200 miles.

So yours is about 50% through its life span, maxing at 145ml or 0.145L is the limit. Mine tries each week and I do 250 miles a week but due to my commute being 20 miles each way of crawling (think London rush hour M25) traffic in Edinburgh, it never gets the chance. It's tried 5 times according to VCDS and not managed once. That's why I wanted to know when it was ready so I could trigger one and keep driving up the motorway once I got near home, because that's when the traffic clears a bit. Since then I've been taking it for a longer drive at the weekends up the M90 on a quiet stretch early morning to get it to do the regen and that's been fine now.

My average speed long term is 18mph! I never get the chance to get over 40 for more than a minute or two on the way to or from work. The rest of the journey is crawling in 1st or 2nd gear for most of the 20 miles.

Thats handy to know! So about another 60k of life left in it. I dooubt ill have the car that long anyway tbh.

Thats a bit of a nightmare. Aye you're best taking it out on the weekend and giving it the chance to complete. Once mines started I always extend my journey until its finished like. Which is obviously easy to do with the VAGDPF app. People go on about DPFs being really bad but as long as you let them regen theyre fine. Had mine a year now and its been faultless.

Aye that's why I wanted the vagdpf app to work but sadly it doesn't. The handheld does the job now and it's good for all the other stuff, would have been easier with an app on my phone but lots of my engine OBD2 blocks won't even read in VCDS and the Bluetooth ones can't read canbus. Mines a UDS crossover with some modules UDS and some KWP2000 as I've now realised. Think I'll be back to BMW next.

Thats odd, least you can read the values now though. Looking to keep mine another year or two, then not sure tbh.

Yeah i might change mine this year but definitely by next year for sure. This time I'll spend more money to get a much newer motor with less miles on it. I was a bit hasty when I got this one, the money was burning a hole once my original choice fell through. (Wasn't as nice up close) and the wife was getting fed up of me going on about nothing but cars so I kinda grabbed this one on impulse. Wasn't even set on an Audi at all to begin with.

Yeah this is my second and the second with cluth judder. Seems to be a common problems with Audis looking on google. I might stick with them for my next car though as I want a DSG anyway. Much better for the commute!

Oh aye definitely, auto is the way to go on a crap commute, my next car will be an auto or dsg for sure.

Reactions: Chrismawa