Vagcom cable off ebay?

Tommy

Makinen...ha
Reaction score
Alright guys, i want to buy a cable for vagcom for my laptop, but everyone ive seen so far doesnt seem to work with my car/laptop!

I have windows vista and an a3 8p obviously..can any of you guys find a cable that will work for me?

Much appreciated.

Tom

I think people have issues with the cheap ebya items......

:( thats 350 dollars, and with the exchange rate at the moment, thats over £300!!! I know we dont like cheap tacky stuff but, is there no ebay cable that will fit my car, i mean im gonna use this like once a year!

Thanks by the way

How much was your car exactly?

If you look me up next tuesday might be able to get it for near £230 if the distributor comes through, but sorry wont get much advice on ebay leads mate as they're not worth the time or hassle, they're outdated, illegal, go wrong often & have been known to cause damage.

You've already wasted time looking for a crap lead & no luck, why waste more time when you can get the most uptodate version & future updates to date free, time is money, time you waste is money can spend on genune lead, problem solved.

I see your point, but i only want the cable so i can make my windows go up when i lock the car and for the lights to come on when i open the car!

Lot of money for just those 2 things imo

why didnt you say, lol, just check on the forum for the vagcom users sticky & there are plenty guys near you that would do it for a few beers or even free mate, if thats all you want anyway.

If your willing to drive North up to Leeds, I know a chap who knows ALOT about vag.com.... :yes:

Sorry John, but you do :) DVD worked a treat btw, thanks

How hard are they to use??? Is it worth buying vagcom just for a few little things and also, does it work on macintosh?

no mac OSX directly, but can use windows on mac with parallels or bootcamp & should work within that enviroment, not hard to work, just intially take care with things, you'll pick up quickly though mate.

Welll worth it for any of them cause audi charge £100 an hour & once you get it'll pay for itself in the 1st day alone considering what they charge.

I think I may get one but I'm really worried il bigger summin up. If you do, are you able to undo it all.

there is a chance u will ****** summat up, although its easier to get it right then do it wrong, just read up and take it slow at the start, and if unsure, ask on here, lots of people in the know

mate you wont ****** it up, buy genuine & you wont regret, no one I know whose bought genuine since the inception has ever regretted or complained of issues tbh, plenty of people including myself who will help you out mate.

check back with me tuesday for update if can get genuine cables.

I will only buy genuine. So with the Ross tech one, are you able to have the lights come on when you unlock car? How are the menus laid out on screen? Sorry bout the basic questions

heres oe of the uk distributors offering vcds pro kit in a case for 245 inc vat and delivery cheers Ian

Well things are also reliant on whats installed in your car aswell, module versions, looms, etc so this also has to be taken into consideration when enabling options, but you'll get it as we all did & still are mate, I'm far from knowing it all & doubt I ever will given how things change & evolve, learning curve but well worth it IMHO

Yeah, I had all kinds of S/A3's, TTs, A4s coming over to scan the car and had no issues with the latest version of the cable. Software updates have been free so far, which means new model support is there.

Anyway, with a genuine cable I had no issues... I originally had a cheap ebay knock-off, but that stopped working after 5th or 6th time. Bought a genuine one pretty quickly after that.

If your willing to drive North up to Leeds, I know a chap who knows ALOT about vag.com.... :yes:

Sorry John, but you do :) DVD worked a treat btw, thanks

Thanks Nick. Willing to help out if required! Beer tokens always welcome :beerchug:

How hard are they to use??? Is it worth buying vagcom just for a few little things and also, does it work on macintosh?

Works with Bootcamp, but not in Parallels That's how I use it..

Is it like a one fits all thing? Would I be able to do same stuff on a mates a4

You can buy a cheaper microCAN cable, which works on CAN based cars. Or go for the full cable which works on K-line based cars like the A4 up to the B7 model. The B8 I believe is also CAN based.

Is it like a one fits all thing? Would I be able to do same stuff on a mates a4

Best option is the Hex Can USB cable for pretty much nearly every vag car mate, I've done few jobs for people & its paid me back just on that alone, not counting the hundreds of times/hours used on my own car, really is best tool bought & best thing for my car, its more than the Micro Can yes but for me I'd rather have it for any car as never know if someone needs your help, those beer tokens soon add up huh John

Works with Bootcamp, but not in Parallels That's how I use it..

I use mine with Parallels and have no issues with it. Just make sure you have the latest version or Parallels as they did make some big changes in how the USB devices are handled, which made a big difference to Vag-com.

VM Ware fusion is also meant to be pretty good, but I haven't tested it with vag-com yet.

You need a beefy mac to do this though, as any additional latency caused by a slow host will make the virtual machine run much slower, which causes vag-com to spaz out and through communication errors.

Oh, and stick with Windows XP for vag-com, Vista is a huge resource hog, which won't help you to get Vag-com working on a VM.

I use mine with Parallels and have no issues with it. Just make sure you have the latest version or Parallels as they did make some big changes in how the USB devices are handled, which made a big difference to Vag-com.

You need a beefy mac to do this though, as any additional latency caused by a slow host will make the virtual machine run much slower, which causes vag-com to spaz out and through communication errors.

Yep, using the latest version, but my downfall could be my intel core duo (not core two) macbook. It was the first intel based macbook. I guess the CPU just isnt up to it. Time for a new one!!

lol, you lined that excuse up for the mrs perfectly John to buy a new one, lol

Yep, using the latest version, but my downfall could be my intel core duo (not core two) macbook. It was the first intel based macbook. I guess the CPU just isnt up to it. Time for a new one!!

That might be the cause of it... I'm using the second generation of Macbook Pros with the Core 2 Duo, which seems to be much quicker with stuff like VMs. Hope the missus gets the hint :)