Value difference between 18 Plate and 67 Plate?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
My RS3 will probably arrive mid Feb (build is 15 Jan). There will probably be two weeks between arriving at the dealer and the 18 plate swap over.

However my PX value could potentially be effected if in that two week period I covered excessive mileage - I can’t say I will but I am trying to figure out that if I was to end up driving enough to remove 500 or so value from my PX would it be better to save money just swapping the car immediately and getting a 67 plate or waiting for an 18?

Essentially would the saving on the PX be worth more than the resale value IF I ever resold it?

That is tight - it all depends on the penalty on the current car tbf. Ordinarily you would wait the 2 weeks or so.

When you get a price fore your trade in tell them you want that price locked in for when you come to trade in in March for your new car. Both the Audi garages done it for me

Reactions: Rs1
So to put it in perspective my S3 Saloon has 10,100 miles on it now (collected July 4). I expect roughly 2k a month so I think I will be on 16-18k by March.

The dealer guaranteed the value of my car at a minimum after 17k miles at £25,750 @billymc92 - I think it will be worth more but can’t be sure. This will mean the negative equity - what I have to pay the dealer is around £9300 (then another £5k as the deposit). (Yes I know that’s a lot to pay to swap a new car for a newer car but I really want an RS3 and I am prepared to pay it but I don’t want to pay more than I need to).

He told me that for every 1000 miles roughly the car value goes down £500 - he also told me that value was not just mileage but age.

I drive lots - and if I look at it may be that in that 2/3 week period between plates changing I will drive 2k or more. I hope that I wont but its possible.

That could add £1000 to my deposit - if I swapped it right away I would have to pay less.

There are a couple of variables here of course - my mileage and when the car arrives - and it could be stuck on QC for two weeks for all I know - but it could also arrive by the second week of February. SO I am weighing up my options.

Reactions: Evotion and AudiNutta
No brainer, wait for the 18 plate

Another shout for an 18 plate here too

2 weeks? Wait! As far as those who ‘don’t know’ are concerned will see you in your 2 week old car on an ‘old’ reg.

2 months? Take it.

What does the delivery date say on your order form? And to be fair you’ll prob find the build might slow so the car arrives for March registrations any way.

1000 miles £500 is a quick call and a plate change does about the same all depending on model. Nice thing is s3 and rs3 are desirable so hold value a bit better. But are still affected.

IMO you want the RS3 on the 18 plate, and take the hit at the start IF there is any.

Normal depreciation curve will be based on 10-12k miles per annum rather than £500 / 1000m. You can always try the WBAC website or the Audi valuation tool which will give you an indication of what your car is worth trade.

Not sure I’d want to be driving 2k/24k a year in an Audi RS car though, it’s not just the depreciation but the tyres, discs, pads, servicing etc too.

If you’re doing that much mileage, it may make sense to buy a 2nd car, say an A1 TDi and split the mileage. Probably won’t work out much more expensive (if at all) when you work out the maths (fuel costs/mileage/depreciation/servicing/parts etc)

As for the question, don’t think I’d register a car in either August or February unless I was enticed by a higher discount for doing so. Wait until March.

This is a classic reason why it is stupid to have the age of the car in the licence plate - maybe there is a weak argument to show the year, but to have a six month denomination is just crazy. I cannot see any reason to have it - is there one?

This is a classic reason why it is stupid to have the age of the car in the licence plate - maybe there is a weak argument to show the year, but to have a six month denomination is just crazy. I cannot see any reason to have it - is there one?

Used to be August to August on the yearly.

I bet sales figures between April and August plummeted each year and then between August and December rocketed.

Guess it’s down to car trade price valuations. Everyone wants to limit depreciation as much as they can.

Reactions: Ben Hall
Yes, you have the reason exactly. But it is still crazy - why should an RS3 purchased in the last week of March be worth any less than one purchased in the first week of April?
Even having a crazy six month denominator builds in the sales issue as no one is going to buy a car in the lead up to August and now, April! I really cannot see any vague reason for it!

Reactions: MartS300
Yes, you have the reason exactly. But it is still crazy - why should an RS3 purchased in the last week of March be worth any less than one purchased in the first week of April?
Even having a crazy six month denominator builds in the sales issue as no one is going to buy a car in the lead up to August and now, April! I really cannot see any vague reason for it!

because people are mad about a number plate, trust me it matters, but it only affect the cars value by a month or two on the initial value

Relax and stick a private number plate on it. Most people spend thousands on extras for an RS only a small % of which they "get back" on disposal

Reactions: Evotion and JamesBaby
Yeah, I like the private plate idea if appearance/ego is important (is for me!) as you still have an 18 MY car.

Edit: I'd still take the 18 plate and if it was just weeks but not months.

Yeah, I like the private plate idea if appearance/ego is important (is for me!) as you still have an 18 MY car.

Edit: I'd still take the 18 plate and if it was just weeks but not months.

Hi, I'm new here... Well, not that new, but haven't been here for a while.

This thread interested me as my order was expected late Feb for delivery in March on an 18 plate. I've been told this week that the car is now ahead of schedule, built and could be ready to collect this month.

Although excited about taking it early, I'm not sure if I really want to wait for the new plate. How much of a difference do you think a March registered car's value will have over a December registered car?

Am I crazy still wanting to wait, with it being around a 2 month wait?

Financially it would have suited me to take it in March too, but how much of an argument do I have for not collecting it early?

It's kind of more dependant on the time of year you come to sell as to what it does to the value. Although the extra 6 months of age will be reflected a little in the value, it is the mileage that will have a bigger affect.

As some of the above have said, if you were due to be collecting say mid feb, I would be waiting for an 18 plate. But if you can collect now or wait for an 18, I would be collecting now, 100% unless it makes more financial sense for you to collect at a later date for monthly payment / deposit reasons? in which case you are within your right to refuse delivery until the agreed/invoice date.

Reactions: PaulGTR
It's kind of more dependant on the time of year you come to sell as to what it does to the value. Although the extra 6 months of age will be reflected a little in the value, it is the mileage that will have a bigger affect.

As some of the above have said, if you were due to be collecting say mid feb, I would be waiting for an 18 plate. But if you can collect now or wait for an 18, I would be collecting now, 100% unless it makes more financial sense for you to collect at a later date for monthly payment / deposit reasons? in which case you are within your right to refuse delivery until the agreed/invoice date.

Thanks.

I'm torn at the moment to be honest.

My original reasoning is that I'm an IT contractor and my contract is up end of Jan. By taking the car in March I'm can be sure I'm back in a new contract before parting with a large cash sum. By taking it early, I'd potentially be taking a large part of my savings, which could come back to bite me if the contract market is weak in Jan/Feb.

My wife would kill me if I bought a car, then spent 1-2 months "between contracts".

Of course if I can secure a new contact between now and Feb I'm laughing, but the closer to Feb, the more I might want to wait until March.

Thanks.

I'm torn at the moment to be honest.

My original reasoning is that I'm an IT contractor and my contract is up end of Jan. By taking the car in March I'm can be sure I'm back in a new contract before parting with a large cash sum. By taking it early, I'd potentially be taking a large part of my savings, which could come back to bite me if the contract market is weak in Jan/Feb.

My wife would kill me if I bought a car, then spent 1-2 months "between contracts".

Of course if I can secure a new contact between now and Feb I'm laughing, but the closer to Feb, the more I might want to wait until March.

In that situation, If you are buying the car outright I would still take it now, you'll have it paid off, have the value and if needed can just keep it off the road or sell, If however it is on a PCP I would wait until March. Audi can have no issues with this, as you ordered it and planned for around that delivery date financially, it is down to them to store it and deal with issues, you bought an 18 plate car for March end of.

You guys are more patient than I am. I’d be outside the dealer as soon as it arrived screaming ‘gimme gimme gimme!’ :)

Reactions: billymc92 and teslaboy
Wait for the 18 plate. Better financially, it'll be an 18 plate, and it will help build the anticipation so that it'll be a great feeling when you pick it up.