Valve Caps Stuck!

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All!

Well I bought some S line metal Valve cap covers that are locked via an alan key. Problem is, they are stuck on and I can't get them off. The alan key won't even fit into the hole now! Anybody have any ideas how to get them off?

Hi All!

Well I bought some S line metal Valve cap covers that are locked via an alan key. Problem is, they are stuck on and I can't get them off. The alan key won't even fit into the hole now! Anybody have any ideas how to get them off?

You could try a bigger size maybe an imperial key or a Torx bit sometimes they can get enough grip when refitting you caps add a thin film of grease to the threads so you can wade through the Elgin floods without your cap's seizing to the stems
good luck

Mole grips on the rubber valve and 10mm spanner on the valve cap? Failing that you'll need to cut the cap off and have the valve replaced.

as above they always get stuck on

unless you copper grease the 1st

i have to have all valves replaced on out ST cos of that

I had this exact issue with a set some friends purchased for me.

At first I couldn't undo them- it turned out the Allen key they provided with the kit was absolutely crap and after I had done them up it must have shat itself at the thought of undoing them :-\

I used my own set in the end and managed to undo them.

Needless to say I didn't tighten them back up as chances are the Allen key is made of the same material as the screw is - so will only be a matter of time until they got fully jammed in the valve cap.

If the top of the screw was rounded off - then the next thing I was going to do was to try and undo it by using long nose pliers - as there was a good mm or 2 to play with on mine.

Thats bad news ! Beware everybody, the little screw will rust to your valve so you cannot get your dust caps off so avoid alan key dust caps at all cost.
When i had my Bmw i got some dust caps with the alan key lock and they started rusting onto the valve so i had to take them off.
When i picked up my Dynamik i got a free set of Audi valve caps though and i noticed last week that the Audi logo fell out of one of the dust caps then a few days later i found the Audi logo on my drive so i super glued it back on.
The problem is the metal dust caps seem to corrode somehow onto the valve and they are a ****** to get off so i take them off and give them a spray with abit of WD-40 every now and then so they are lubricated and do not rust on.
In all furnace plastic dust caps are far better but just do not look half as good imho.

Use something like copper grease as different metals attack each other causing corrosion.

if you still cant get it off, take it to a tire place, let them cut the valve and replace it with a plastic cap.

my vw ones rusted up and wouldnt come for for love nor money