VC Shutdown!!

zaka7

Reaction score
Right. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else. But today while driving my VC decided to go mental!
All the warning lights came on and the TC was flashing rapidly! I also had no speed and the rev counter wasn’t moving.
Then (unable to stop) the whole thing shut down and said ignition off! Then went blank. The car still drove and I got home using the old school method of remembering what gear I was in and guessing speed haha.
I shut the car down and have left it thus far.
Anyone else experienced this!! I’m hoping it will sort it self out but may also have millions of error codes now!!

You need to get the car into Audi asap. If it meant you were unable to stop, it's dangerous.

One of my big concerns with VC.

I remember when my TT dashpod died and that was a struggle.

You need to get the car into Audi asap. If it meant you were unable to stop, it's dangerous.

Nothing mechanical was affected. Purely software. The MMI screen was also unaffected and music still played, headlights stayed on etc. Just VC.

Just started the car again. No issues completely normal again. That’s so strange!

Just started the car again. No issues completely normal again. That’s so strange!

I'd plug in an OBD reader and check for any error codes. I wouldn't clear them, but instead take it into Audi and stress the danger of the situation (not being able to see your speed, for example) - I can see them replacing the whole thing.

I'd plug in an OBD reader and check for any error codes. I wouldn't clear them, but instead take it into Audi and stress the danger of the situation (not being able to see your speed, for example) - I can see them replacing the whole thing.

It was glitchy at start up with the warning lights (etc). It wasn't a case of it was fine then it died during driving, it just got worse and worse lol, so if it happens again i'll video it and then take it to Audi, if not i'll just pretend it never happened :) and hope it doesn't re occur.

Reactions: Jonny B and AudiNutta
The more electronics they throw at a car, the more chance there is of something going wrong.

And they want us to believe that autonomous cars will be safer !!!!

Off to Audi it is!! It happened again!!
First video the speed isn't working and all warning lights are on,
Second video (after it shut down and re started itself) the warning lights are all flashing!

Reactions: AudiNutta
Ok it won't let me upload the videos...

Get it into Audi. Something sounds badly wrong.

I am! Booked in tomorrow, Just hope they don't try to blame the ghost!

Don’t tell them it’s there! If you have the fuse then disconnect it before it goes in! They probably will because so I’ve been told the Ghost basically disconnects the dash and the ECU.

Put the video on YouTube so we can see.

Also good luck getting Audi to fix anything. I still haven’t taken my car back to fix any of the other 5 things wrong with it because they are useless and I enjoy driving it too much (also why I am getting an idependent garage to service the car.)

Right quick update. It seems it was the ghost that had developed and issue. My installer and Autowatch were brilliant and have installed a replacement FOC. We shall see now

Re Audi. I appreciate they can be difficult. But if you have a genuine issue and are within warranty they haven’t got a lot of choice.

Right quick update. It seems it was the ghost that had developed and issue. My installer and Autowatch were brilliant and have installed a replacement FOC. We shall see now

Re Audi. I appreciate they can be difficult. But if you have a genuine issue and are within warranty they haven’t got a lot of choice.
What was the issue with the ghost?

Glad you got it sorted! +1 on DOC’s question, but also who found the issue with the ghost? Did Audi turn you away or did you go to your installer?

Reactions: Tristan2
The issue was found by my Installer & Autowatch, They weren't sure what it was and said they have never seen it before, so they replaced the unit. We're not 100% the VC issue was being caused by the Ghost, but it made sense when they investigated and ran through some diagnostics. If it turns out that I still have the issue down the line with this system, then it'll be disconnected and taken straight to Audi.
I never took the car to Audi this time around.

Reactions: zippster, Mark@sasmobile and AudiNutta

No you haven’t but most if not all main Audi dealers seem to employ the worst people they can find.
The main issue is they never tell you they have damaged your pride and joy (no matter how minor) it’s only when you find something that was NOT there when you dropped your motor off and return it to them that they agree to fix it with no argument at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk