VCDS diagnostics newbie

Rjw76

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m hoping regular users of VCDS can help out a first time user here. The photo shows the fault readout from my wives car. I’m a fairly competent amateur mechanic, but this is the first time I’ve done
any diagnostics like this, and have a few questions I hope people can help with:

1. What is the actual fault code here... is it 008598, or another number?
2. Where do I find out what that code actually means (it’s obviously to do with the lambda sensor signal, but is that telling me the sensor is faulty, or that something else is faulty which is being picked up by the senor?
3. Where can I find out what the ‘Freeze Frame’ data refers to?
4. Once I know, and have rectified, the fault, I assume I need to reset the fault code. If the fault isn’t rectified correctly, will the fault code return? I.e. in order to ‘test’ the repair?

I know these probably sound really dumb questions but, as I said, this is my first time using the VCDS and I can’t seem to find any answers with the usual internet searches.

Thanks in anticipation!

Attachments

• E5F39203-A6AF-4025-94C1-DEA4B26AA91E.jpeg
    E5F39203-A6AF-4025-94C1-DEA4B26AA91E.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 164
Hello all, I’m hoping regular users of VCDS can help out a first time user here. The photo shows the fault readout from my wives car. I’m a fairly competent amateur mechanic, but this is the first time I’ve done
any diagnostics like this, and have a few questions I hope people can help with:

1. What is the actual fault code here... is it 008598, or another number?
2. Where do I find out what that code actually means (it’s obviously to do with the lambda sensor signal, but is that telling me the sensor is faulty, or that something else is faulty which is being picked up by the senor?
3. Where can I find out what the ‘Freeze Frame’ data refers to?
4. Once I know, and have rectified, the fault, I assume I need to reset the fault code. If the fault isn’t rectified correctly, will the fault code return? I.e. in order to ‘test’ the repair?

I know these probably sound really dumb questions but, as I said, this is my first time using the VCDS and I can’t seem to find any answers with the usual internet searches.

Thanks in anticipation!

https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/dtc_screen.html

Info on the error here

https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/threads/p2196-o2-sensor.31912/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above Ross-tech is the best place to find out any info about your fault codes as they give u a brief description about the codes plus info on what could cause said code and simplified account about how to go about fixing .
If ur cable is registered with Ross-Tech you can join there forum where u will find tutorial videos about how to use the cable for certain things .
1 good bit off advice i was always given was when doing a scan always do an Auto Scan first as it contains all the info for all ur modules incase u have to replace . Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

As above Ross-tech is the best place to find out any info about your fault codes as they give u a brief description about the codes plus info on what could cause said code and simplified account about how to go about fixing .
If ur cable is registered with Ross-Tech you can join there forum where u will find tutorial videos about how to use the cable for certain things .
1 good bit off advice i was always given was when doing a scan always do an Auto Scan first as it contains all the info for all ur modules incase u have to replace . Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help guys.