VCDS Has Arrived!

Pasteurised

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got VCDS, scanned the car and the only fault coming up is:

17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
P1200 - 35-00 - Mechanical Malfunction

Ive bypassed the N249 so im guessing thats what this means?

Cheers

Sounds good pal. Where did you buy it from?

I'm really wanting to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like the n75 valve but I'm probably wrong, I'm sure somebody will point you in the right direction.

Hey guys, just got VCDS, scanned the car and the only fault coming up is:

17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
P1200 - 35-00 - Mechanical Malfunction

Ive bypassed the N249 so im guessing thats what this means?

Cheers
Yes but points to another issue... This code is because the ecu had a reason to dump boost as it was unhappy about something (typically ovetboost) and didn't see boost drop as it expects... It then assumes a mechanical malfunction of the N249/DV... As your N249 is bypassed it won't dump boost this way... It will shut the throttle and cut N75 duty to control boost still though

<tuffty/>

Ok makes sense, ive cleared the code as ive no idea how long its been stored, and going to take the car a good blast tonight, and get some proper logs, hopefully it doesnt come back!

What location do i need to log to get ignition timing?

Last edited:
Sounds good pal. Where did you buy it from?

I'm really wanting to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it from a friend who used to have an A3, you can buy genuine one ross-tech website or ebay

Done a pull in 3rd gear:
screenshot_5.png

The P1200 code came back but from the data only looks to have overboosted by 1.5psi

That's frustrating, so how do you know it's overboosting? Because actual is greater than specified? I assume the car has been mapped, could the map be the problem?
Didn't you get a stage 1 ECU?

Yea its 100mbar more on actual than specified at 5800rpm
Yea its a "stage 1" map, mass airflow seems to vary between 190-210, maybe the fact ive got "stage 2" mods like intake and downpipe is whats causing the problem

0.95 lambda is 14:1 afr?
a quick google says thats the stock WOT target on these cars, is that true?

For std yes, tuned no... running this lean is purely for emmisions... tuned cars (in fact any turbo car) should run richer under boost to manage heat and perform better...

No mapped engine should be running that lean under boost

<tuffty/>

Yea my last car i set 11.5 as the target afr so 14 is crazy.
Seems my car is actually in great condition, just has a **** map, so thats easily fixed lol.

yep 0.95 is stock, but your boost requests are not stock are they

longer log ideally but your map does'nt have additional fueling it should have..

If i log group 020 will this tell me if the ecu is detecting knock and pulling timing?

yep 0.95 is stock, but your boost requests are not stock are they

longer log ideally but your map does'nt have additional fueling it should have..

Yea looks like the LAMFA table is stock, so 0.85 lambda (12.5:1) then slightly richer at high rpm would be best?

Last edited: