VCDS mods

c.grex

Reaction score
I have a B8 A4 at the moment and there are a few mods out for this that can be done via VCDS. I'm thinking of things like enabling mirror dip on reverse, Tyre pressure monitor, enabling the parking graphic. Plus there where other things like middle swipe etc.

is there anything that can be done via VCDS yet?

Plenty of stuff I think, mirror dip. needle sweep, parking graphic I've all seen mentioned. Seatbelt warnings perhaps too.

Looks good. We will have to see what people have managed to do. I'm not paying for TMPS but will have for free if it can be enabled, same with graphic for parking.

TPMS is probably doable. It becomes a legal requirment for new cars in a year anyway so I would imagine it could be switched on.

TPMS could only be switched on if it uses the abs system to monitor the rotation of the wheels. If the TPMS uses valves then it would be doubtful it could just be enabled...

I'm pretty sure it uses the ABS system.

Like I say, they will have known that they will be mandated next year, so probably just did it in software and didn't even bother considering designing a version without them, so it'll be a simple software switch next year when they all come with them.

All speculation of course, but that's what I'd do!

Also, the manual says it has to monitor your driving for 15 mins when you reset them to get used to what an inflated tyre is, which says to me that it's monitoring wheel rotation rather than actual pressure as it would be with special valves.

RE: TPMS - Does anyone know if the 8V still has a physical button to reset the "pressures" or is it done via DIS?
This will dictate how successful it would be enabling via VCDS I guess

Like I say, they will have known that they will be mandated next year, so probably just did it in software and didn't even bother considering designing a version without them, so it'll be a simple software switch next year when they all come with them.

All speculation of course, but that's what I'd do!

Also, the manual says it has to monitor your driving for 15 mins when you reset them to get used to what an inflated tyre is, which says to me that it's monitoring wheel rotation rather than actual pressure as it would be with special valves.

It'll only be mandatory on 'type approved' passenger cars, not all new cars. Same as it was for DRL's...

The way it worked on my A4 deepened on which ABS module was fitted. Some came with the right one, some didn't. I think it was all about what other options you had fitted.

guess we just need someone with VCDS to have a play with a A3!

Damnit why did I sell my cable?! :(

I presume the 8V still only needs the CAN cable like the 8P, the HEX isn't required?

It'll only be mandatory on 'type approved' passenger cars, not all new cars. Same as it was for DRL's...

Nope, that limitation has already come in (since the A3 I think), it's all new cars full stop from Nov 2014 I think I remember reading. DRLs have a date where all new cars (even old types) have to have them too.

In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with TPMS. For N1 vehicles, TPMS are not mandatory, but if a TPMS is fitted, it must comply with the regulation.

Tire-pressure monitoring system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll be plugging mine in on day 1 to see what I can play with!

Reactions: c.grex
Yes, it is wheel rotation based.... There are no sensors in the wheel/tyre.

Maybe somewhat related; my old Passat estate had TPMS fitted - it worked pretty well (got plenty of use, unfortunately). I once went through a patch of oil on a roundabout and could feel the steering pull from side to side as the front wheels scrabbled for grip - that triggered the TPMS system, presumably because it was also wheel rotation based.

There are two generations of systems called indirect TPMS, I wonder which is used on the A3?

Anyone around the midlands area with a VCDS cable want to help me enable a couple of things? :)