Vehicle Wrapping

saq85

Reaction score
Im actually thinking of starting my own business.
Thought it would be good to ask you guys (car enthusiasts) what is stopping you from getting your cars wrapped?
Besides price that is...
Is it the inconvenience of leaving your car and being carless?

I appreciate any feedback and thoughts on this topic. Positive or negative :)

Regards.

My biggest concern would be the level of skill and care being paid to my car, and what might be done and then covered up with the wrap, ie scratches from blades etc that would only be found when the wrap is removed and hard to prove who did it and when.

Next up i guess would be knowing that the job and finish was going to be good and not look like **** or start to peel/bubble up after a few months.

Another would be door jams etc, many places stick pictures up of their wraps but you dont get to see the bits that aren't able to be wrapped so you don't get a good idea of how it might look when done.

iirc wrapping was not overly cheap, £1k for an average car? which is no small amount of cash so unless I really wanted to change the colour of my car, it is not something i would do for fun, both for cost and also the risk of something going t*ts up as mentioned.

Without doubt, recommendation and some really detailed picture galleries showing work carried out would be a must for people to be confident in handing their price and joy over.

Hope that helps.

Price obviously being the main issue, the second issue is the amount of shoddy work around, i would want to see i am getting my moneys worth. I've seen loads of people with wrapped cars where the wrap just looks a bit crap going around any edges on a panel

When it comes down to it, a wrap is only as good as the person wrapping it. And the price should reflect the quality of the work. Work of past work and recommendations to boost business up is the norm, but it only take one or two negative feedback to ruin ones reputation with the way things work today.

Even though I have a wrapped car, I'd never personally go for a wrap, I prefer a good paintjob. I feel a wrap is high maintenance to keep it looking good.

Reactions: Ghost
My biggest concern would be the level of skill and care being paid to my car, and what might be done and then covered up with the wrap, ie scratches from blades etc that would only be found when the wrap is removed and hard to prove who did it and when.

Next up i guess would be knowing that the job and finish was going to be good and not look like **** or start to peel/bubble up after a few months.

Another would be door jams etc, many places stick pictures up of their wraps but you dont get to see the bits that aren't able to be wrapped so you don't get a good idea of how it might look when done.

iirc wrapping was not overly cheap, £1k for an average car? which is no small amount of cash so unless I really wanted to change the colour of my car, it is not something i would do for fun, both for cost and also the risk of something going t*ts up as mentioned.

Without doubt, recommendation and some really detailed picture galleries showing work carried out would be a must for people to be confident in handing their price and joy over.

Hope that helps.

Price obviously being the main issue, the second issue is the amount of shoddy work around, i would want to see i am getting my moneys worth. I've seen loads of people with wrapped cars where the wrap just looks a bit **** going around any edges on a panel

When it comes down to it, a wrap is only as good as the person wrapping it. And the price should reflect the quality of the work. Work of past work and recommendations to boost business up is the norm, but it only take one or two negative feedback to ruin ones reputation with the way things work today.

Even though I have a wrapped car, I'd never personally go for a wrap, I prefer a good paintjob. I feel a wrap is high maintenance to keep it looking good.

Would just like to thank you guys for taking the time to write a reply.
I have officially register my business name today :D and I'm currently in the process of booking training with some very reputable company's.
Trying to get a hold of a decent unit now for practising on mine and my wife's car. Wish me luck!_

Reactions: DieselJake, Chop., jojo and 1 other person
Good luck! i hope things work out well and post up some pictures when you've got some cars done

Reactions: saq85
Where are you based, want a car as a guinea pig? lol
I'm based in Birmingham, its still very early days and looking at timelines I don't think I'll have my own set up for another 3 months (and even then I will be very inexperienced)
As for Guinea pigs I have 3 pals, a wife and also my own car which will all be Guinea pigs and are willing to pay for materials and just a tiny bit of actual labour. Maybe once I've actually done a couple of cars I could make a audisport member offer at a highly discounted rate (mates rates if u like) to make up for my inexperience and to build up my portfolio. Watch this space! :D

Reactions: ROB64 and jojo
You also have to bear in mind a quality install will take around 15 hours (a full weekend!)

On the plus side. I've had some trial company logos made today... I don't like them Lol.

I'm based in Birmingham, its still very early days and looking at timelines I don't think I'll have my own set up for another 3 months (and even then I will be very inexperienced)
As for Guinea pigs I have 3 pals, a wife and also my own car which will all be Guinea pigs and are willing to pay for materials and just a tiny bit of actual labour. Maybe once I've actually done a couple of cars I could make a audisport member offer at a highly discounted rate (mates rates if u like) to make up for my inexperience and to build up my portfolio. Watch this space! :D
Haha, cool, I'm just down the road. Typing this reply in Birmingham! :cool:

Hi @saq85 the wrap thing isn’t for me, but I wish you all the best.
icon_thumright.gif

You also have to bear in mind a quality install will take around 15 hours (a full weekend!)

If it helps…
It maybe worth you doing a little research on hotels B&Bs near where you intend to set up, and days out and attractions.
Im over 2hours drive from you, but if I was to have my car wrapped, I be happy to make a weekend of it and I bet others would too.

Reactions: Sandra
Hi @saq85 the wrap thing isn’t for me, but I wish you all the best.
icon_thumright.gif

If it helps…
It maybe worth you doing a little research on hotels B&Bs near where you intend to set up, and days out and attractions.
Im over 2hours drive from you, but if I was to have my car wrapped, I be happy to make a weekend of it and I bet others would too.
Hi, many thanks for your reply. This is a brilliant idea I didn't even think of. Will definitely give it more thought. Thank you!

Reactions: Sandra and Ghost
what are the logo's you have had made up, what was wrong with them? I work in this area and your best bet is to do a little homework and find logos you like and look at why you like them, colours, fonts, styles, decals etc. Use google, behance, pinterest etc. Will help the designer get it nailed and keep costs down. Remember HIGH QUALITY PICTURES in a spotless until will give people confidence in you so will be vital. A website can be done cheap and use facebook, twitter, instagram to help boost awareness.

what are the logo's you have had made up, what was wrong with them? I work in this area and your best bet is to do a little homework and find logos you like and look at why you like them, colours, fonts, styles, decals etc. Use google, behance, pinterest etc. Will help the designer get it nailed and keep costs down. Remember HIGH QUALITY PICTURES in a spotless until will give people confidence in you so will be vital. A website can be done cheap and use facebook, twitter, instagram to help boost awareness.
Hi and thanks for taking your time to reply to my thread. To be fair with the logos I just had a trial few made for under £5 from fiverr.com I just didn't love them, they were OK but not as clean cut as I would like. My initial logos had a silhouette of a car but looking around at companies that work in the automotive industry this is too widely used. Then I tried a front facing car silhouette but it just became to complicated. Still thinking about the overall design and thinking of scrapping the idea of a logo with a car and maybe just have text with some sort of symbol/logo...

Definitely will be going down the social media route! Thanks for the input about having a clean and bright workshop.. Will be doing that!
It seems like everything is happening at once right now.. Trying to move house, just started a new (day) job. Finishing up details about business plan and still thinking about which training provider to go with. Prices can go astronomical for training :O

Logos dont need to be over complicated, a decent weighty font and maybe just a tweak in it, a slice through a letter perhaps with a slight curl to represent the wrap aspect.

We start brand creations at £500 and go from there so not getting much at a five is not surprising but you should be able to get someone to work something up for around £100 if they are a bedroom trader and then supply you the relevant files ie a vector for trade use and then jpegs, gifs etc for online or internal use. No good someone doing you a logo on photoshop that then wont scale up etc or is too complicated for you to get made up into signage.

Money is the only thing stopping me. Paying at least 1k for a wrap is too much! A good job round here is about 1500-2000. Getting a car plastic sprayed is the way forward.

Logos dont need to be over complicated, a decent weighty font and maybe just a tweak in it, a slice through a letter perhaps with a slight curl to represent the wrap aspect.

We start brand creations at £500 and go from there so not getting much at a five is not surprising but you should be able to get someone to work something up for around £100 if they are a bedroom trader and then supply you the relevant files ie a vector for trade use and then jpegs, gifs etc for online or internal use. No good someone doing you a logo on photoshop that then wont scale up etc or is too complicated for you to get made up into signage.
Hi and thanks for taking your time to reply. I understand you pay for what you get but at the moment we want something simple. We will not be in a position to pay £500 for brand creation just yet but let's see what the future holds. Out of interest, do you have images of what you've produced for past clients or a website? Thanks.

Money is the only thing stopping me. Paying at least 1k for a wrap is too much! A good job round here is about 1500-2000. Getting a car plastic sprayed is the way forward.
Thanks for your feedback, wrapping isn't for people on a budget (even I don't have my car wrapped). My business plan is focussed around wrapping. However once I'm more established, I'll want to branch out in to other services. If the demand is there I'll include dipping. Theres pros and cons to both. Such as dipping being cheaper and vinyl being hard wearing.

Happy to announce it's been over a couple of months since I've quit my day job. I now have the ability to wrap! I have had a unit to work from and i have been wrapping away for the past few months. (Yes i am quite new!)

I was thinking of maybe offering some sort of services on here? If your dsg gear indicator trim is chipped or you just want it wrapped in carbon
Or if you want your mirror caps wrapped...
Or whatever you can put in the post to me i can get it done and send it back to you

Got a couple of pics on Instagram @suitedcars

Please let me know what you think :)

Reactions: Peter Metcalf
Had a nightmare wrapping my r32, learnt so much! Technique is key.
A few pics of bits and bobs...

Finally got my hands on some carbon fibre, going to be messing around with it the upcoming week :D

Attachments

• IMG-20170321-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20170321-WA0027.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG-20170308-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20170308-WA0007.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG-20170222-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20170222-WA0007.jpeg
    891.1 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG-20170317-WA0030.jpeg
    IMG-20170317-WA0030.jpeg
    917.3 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG-20170224-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20170224-WA0006.jpeg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 463
Oh and here is my Brand logo, any feedback positive and negative is appreciated :)
Zoom into the letter i to find a incognito tie :D

Attachments

• SuitedCars-white.png
    SuitedCars-white.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 457
Reactions: THQuattro
Can't upload pictures of the completed car as its over the 2MB limit :/

hi im not too far from you worcester based ive been wanting my chrome trim wrapped for ages is this somthing you could do any idea of price and time car would be needed (window trim and roof rails) would like to support a fello member although i do think you should look into plasti dip not just for cars but parts.

Hi @martin1984! It is something i could definitely do, if you send us a couple of pictures of your roof rack and window trim I can give you you an estimate on price and time.
Appreciate you wanting to support a fellow member,

As for plastidip it is on the cards for the future :)

Sorry for later reply here the pucs so its th roof rails and the trim around the windows
e5f01ee8dcce0e5d611df50c60a78315.jpg
0e1de709431c50c5d9a2970ded6f7b7c.jpg
7897f1b3a526493daa4f13c86639cbf6.jpg
5856d07bea1d3ee13b187631f777d0be.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Reactions: THQuattro
I'm slowly getting work in finally, but guys... I keep forgetting to take pictures :'(

A recent shot of some messing about
IMG 20170423 194725 809

Reactions: THQuattro, Pinky1959, martin1984 and 1 other person
Yes you can call SMS or WhatsApp 07761716981 or email suitedcarsltd@gmail.com (I know I hate Gmail business emails aswell! I have suitedcars.com and co.uk just havnt had time to make a website + email)

Got a vinyl rack fitted, wooo...

Black is currently very popular as you can tell :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170403_161354-3024x2268.jpg
    IMG_20170403_161354-3024x2268.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 432
Also got the lighting sorted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170501-005124-1080x1920.png
    Screenshot_20170501-005124-1080x1920.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 399
  • Screenshot_20170501-005014-1080x1920.png
    Screenshot_20170501-005014-1080x1920.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 426
Can you carbon wrap the Audi rings on a b8 a4

Ive got someone comming down tomorrow to get his chrome grill in black I'll have a mess about with the Audi rings and see how it goes buddy. @Rich76

You maybe getting a call from me soon mate.
Yeah that's cool matey.

Hey I saw you are a moderator... Any chance you could rename this thread and move it to another section? Havnt actually thought of a name yet though, lol.

@Rich76
Tried to do the rings, it was a nightmare! Short answer is no, they cannot be wrapped to a high standard.
Definitely something that could be hydrodipped though. A fair few places have started doing that.

Attachments

• IMG_20170502_160441-1612x1209.jpg
    IMG_20170502_160441-1612x1209.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 438
Finally got somewhere to put the kettle. This was actually a faulty vanity unit from Victoria plum. It's supposed to have a sink on top but I thought I could just use it as storage/tea counter so I did a makeshift job of cutting some spare shelf panel down to size and wrapping it in black :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170502_190921-1209x1612.jpg
    IMG_20170502_190921-1209x1612.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_20170502_194745-1612x1209.jpg
    IMG_20170502_194745-1612x1209.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_20170502_194826-1612x1209.jpg
    IMG_20170502_194826-1612x1209.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 401
Reactions: DieselJake
No problem
I'll look in to getting them dipped or just buy a set off the net

Before and after a grill and foglights dechrome.

Attachments

• IMG_20170505_204023_511.jpg
    IMG_20170505_204023_511.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 441
Reactions: martin1984 and DieselJake
Thanks @saq85 went to his work shop and had my window trim de chromed a long hard days work but looks first class
4bdf6d866e8e70fac60eb020ac63030e.jpg
b4b6da8f9c4b865ac7adfc9e0a656ec7.jpg
67a3b4c74605ce0f10e0ffb1e8bb46af.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Reactions: THQuattro, Enbarr, ROB64 and 2 others