Vibration and humming sound

vwgtiking

Reaction score
It's coming from passenger footwell. I had the garage check for wheel bearing and ball joints but there is no sign of these being at fault. Any suggestions????

There is no common pattern to when it makes that noise.

inner cv or G/box , Diff.

PLS note there is no noise at standstill but it starts make a noise and vibration from anything about 10mph Upto 60mph.

Could it still be a wheel bearing but not showing usual symptoms and tests

Have you swapped wheel from front to rear to rule out wheel balance issue?

I had 17s on previously and now have 18s. Same noise. I have had for about a year now. Getting louder, frequent and now the vibration.

I do need tyres as on legal limit so will have them changed this week to see if that helps.

Slight update. When out and it's raining, rain seems to make the noise/vibration a little less noticeable, not much. Sometimes it comes on when turning steering wheel a few degrees when cornering.

definitely sounds like a wheel bearing

I've had a duff wheel bearing which was causing what I could best describe at the time as "wind noise". No evidence of the bearing being rough when the wheel was spun. In fact, the mech couldn't identify which side had failed. We took a chance and changed the NS - problem solved.

I've had a duff wheel bearing which was causing what I could best describe at the time as "wind noise". No evidence of the bearing being rough when the wheel was spun. In fact, the mech couldn't identify which side had failed. We took a chance and changed the NS - problem solved.

Sounds like the same as mine. At first I thought it was like a piece of arch or trim under the car vibrate against the wind.

Change the N/S wheel bearing

Take 2 long fast bends- 50mph or more and left and right hander, if your problem lessens as you straighten up then it is definitely a wheel bearing. Next you have to find whether it is front or back..... Wheel bearings on A4s seem to be Sh*te, I have changed 2 so far and need a 3rd one doing now.

Anyone know part number for a gearbox for an Audi A4 b6 5 speed. 1.8t. 2004