VIM Video-in-motion now possible on 2018+ MIB

Evil Derboy

Reaction score
Firstly I'd like to give a big shout out to @RJ-8V for his help on this.

Those of you that have been hoping to get video in motion working on your MY2018 Audi will no doubt have been frustrated to discover that OBDeleven's VIM app will not work on your car.

With @RJ-8Vs help on this I can now confirm that this is now possible. First step is to update your MMI to the latest firmware (P5092) which also slightly tweaks the Google Maps interface and brings it up to the latest version (not much to see other than a different Google logo and minor differences to how the maps are shown - horizon on 3D view and additional license text showing).

Firmware is available on the net. Download to an SD card and then update via the MMI engineering menu.

Once this has been done, you can then use the OBDeleven app as normal to activate VIM and you're good to go.

Cue various posts from the forum morality police about why you shouldn't unlock VIM in the first place....but if you have kids you'll understand the benefits!

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren92, NevMan, paul wev and 2 others
Great work guys & nice sharing.

Reactions: NevMan
Also possible on all A3 Facelift models with MIB+. Just update to P5089 and apply VIM. Update takes around 15-20min.

Reactions: NevMan and Darren92
Just a note, updating firmware outside of the VW Group SVM process will void your MMI warranty:

IMG 2229 IMG 2234

1) won't void the warranty as it is the original firmware update

2) svm process can be done and fully cleared.

Reactions: NevMan and Darren92

If complete via SVM then all will be ok, but anyone downloading firmware from "the internet" will not have access to the correct tools most likely. If update is complete without SVM process ODIS flags the 5F as invalid for vehicle and thus warranty is void.

....and as an example of what I have been saying, someone has been in contact for help after updating their MIB firmware "at home" with firmware they sourced via a forum, used a calculator to "sign off" on the SVM process and clear the errors, then went to SEAT to have Full Link activated and guess what? SEAT flagged his MIB as tampered with / no longer valid for the vehicle!

Scan taken after the visit to SEAT:

Screenshot 2020 02 20 at 214407

Reactions: NHN and 8YARWY
Just goes to show, screw around with stuff when you don’t know what your doing/or read on a forum and you’ll regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJAlix
This happens so much & as per Alex says so to speak, you can lead a horse to water, you get fed up repeating to owners......

Reactions: 8YARWY and DJAlix
Am just tired of seeing poor quality, bad and dangerous information on the forum, and people trying to defend it and trying to call-out the people who actually know what they are doing.

Reactions: 8YARWY and NHN
damn... this is much harder than expected.. i did get to the engineering menu rather easily watching the up/down flip switch for facelift cars. and also confirmed my current MMI version is P4219. (MHI2_US_AU37x_P4219). I have been searching forever for a P5029 I can download, zero luck.. Most of the pages are all European based firmware.. 5029? or 5089? I seen both mentioned... thanks bros.

Also possible on all A3 Facelift models with MIB+. Just update to P5089 and apply VIM. Update takes around 15-20min.
After updating the firmware is it possible to activate Video in motion with Green Enginering Menu or only with OBD Eleven?