Vinyl wrapping versus wet painting of chrome or similar brightwork.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A question about the above title really chaps, there would appear to be only several possible options open to owners with chrome or similar finish brightwork when it comes to a colour or finish change, partly due to the work involved in removing the trim around the doors and windows etc, insitu is the only real option by the looks of things.
Methods appear to include ,Vinyl wrapping & wet paint as the only possible options from a wear & tear basis, but which is better.
Wet painting is more invloved and costly but probably the better end result and longer lasting and will withstand weathering better, but what about vinyl wrapping.
is wrapping effected by UV light and dryout over time, what about removing it and will that be a problematic job.
how will it hold up in hot sunlight all day during the summer months over several years ,or will it degrade when the temp is colder in winter and start flaking off.
I know these may sound a bit overkill but i would like to get my brightwork redone in a satin black finish but it want it to last more than a couple of years, if wrapping is a short term solution i'd rather pay a bit more and go the wet paint route.
just want to get a better idea of the pro's and cons of the availble options chaps before taking the plunge .
any feedback would be great.
rob

I'm in the same situation. I can't wait to get rid of my chrome window strips. Satin black is the route I'm taking too.

Most decent vinyl films are rated at 5 or 7 year in external environments. Cheap no-name eBay vinyl is another thing.

Have you had a quote for wet paint? I've not been for one yet but willing to pay as long as the results are good.

I use local guy down the road from me to do all the wet paint jobs and he is very good, not cheap but you get a top class job , i think wet paint maybe the prefered way to go to be honest and will look the best but want to get a better overall idea on whats involved with both methods and the longevity of them, wrap maybe a good alternative but i have a nagging feeling that it wont last or weather as well as a good paint job.

As I'm getting a spare pair of roof rails painted (black of course) I'll get a quote for the window trim too.

I'm more in favour of a proper paint finish for those exact reasons. I'll probably have the car for quite a while so I want it done right.

As much as i MUCH prefer paint jobs, I would say get it wrapped in a gloss colour. You really cant go wrong as its virtually headache free, cheap and the finish is just as good.

It holds up very well even in this horrible winter we have had. Looks exactly like a paint job.

All my car has been 'de-chrome' wrapped.

Hope this helps.

There are a fair number of what look like nail marks in one of my rear door chrome strips. I think the previous owner's kid did them. I'll probably have to rub them down whichever way I go.

I'm torn between gloss and satin.

If the paint option is too expensive I'll be wrapping them myself.

Has anyone tried the Plasticote route?

Looking to decrome my S7 and just wondered how durable it is.

I tend to use Plastidip as proof of concept for things, then do it properly with paint/wrap when I'm happy.

Although it's pretty tough, some people have reported the door seals tearing it up.

In my very humble opinion, there's just something that doesnt sit right about having it Plasti -anything'd !

Reason being, I dont think its as durable as wrapping it (professionally of course) or painted.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Has anyone tried the Plasticote route?

Looking to decrome my S7 and just wondered how durable it is.

Look decent results but i know id have dribbles here and there and lumps and bumps. I'd have to pay some team to do this for me.

So looks pretty durable. I may do my chrome in plasti dip and see how it goes.

Your not on your own mate. Mine gets longer by the day.

thats the problem with these cars, theres allways a list and it only ever gets longer....lol

Reactions: carlcall and Dani_B19
Ooh yes. Think I may plasti dip the chrome in the car though.

What's people's thoughts on black trim in a lie car?

I just watched the vid and it does look like a viable option , i supose like all things, if you take the time to prep things properly first the end results will be good, also as with most finishes on a car if you look after them they will last .
I may give the plasidip HFC, a hard finish version a go for my brightwork around window and possible roof bars, its in a silk black so looks like a nice finish.

thats the problem with these cars, theres allways a list and it only ever gets longer....lol

That's the problem with any car I've ever owned....I always say I will keep the next one standard
smileyhaha.gif

Reactions: Dani_B19
Pretty sure HCF doesn't peel so its a permanent finish?

I've used Plastidip a few times with decent results but not sure how you'd mask the chrome as the window seals lap right on to the top of the chrome. Personally I think it would be pretty hard as when you remove the tape it will want to peel the dip too and if you do tear it when taking the masking off you can't patch in Plastidip like you can with paint. I think if I was going to the trouble to mask the car to do the chrome which in itself is surprisingly quite a big and time consuming job I'd just do them in satin black paint.
In principle Plastidip would be the perfect choice for doing the chrome but in reality I think it could turn into a nightmare fairly easily.
One other small thing to bear in mind is that UK Plastdip is not the same quality as the US stuff but there are sellers on ebay that do the US stuff.

For what it's worth I got my roof bars powder coated satin black and trim was wrapped. The roof bars have held up well to frequent use and still look great, my trim unfortunately was never the best job in the first place tbh but it still looks decent and hasn't deteriorated like I thought it would. If does start to look crap I'll probably go down the paint route next time.

nope the HCF is a permanent flexible finish in a silk finish, looks to be a harder wearing finish than a lot of products & with a easier method of application and drying over traditional wet paint methods, seems like a better option for around window trims and roof rails, i'd rather maskup around the parts needing treatment than take it all apart to done(roof bars)

nope the HCF is a permanent flexible finish in a silk finish, looks to be a harder wearing finish than a lot of products & with a easier method of application and drying over traditional wet paint methods, seems like a better option for around window trims and roof rails, i'd rather maskup around the parts needing treatment than take it all apart to done(roof bars)

Nope?
I said it was a permanent non peelable finish, I was just checking you were aware that it's not like normal plastidip and that its permanent.

Look forward to seeing it done.

yes fully aware of that detail and i have no problem with it being a permanent covering provided it looks rights and has hardwaring & decent life span , i dont want to be redoing every couple of years to be honest which is why i was drawn to this product over traditional wet spray method and its costs.

I think i'll get a tin to experiment with first, do some bodywork bits on my landcruiser and see how it works out for a few weeks and go from there.