Virtual cockpit in pre face s3 8v

S3 syc

Reaction score
Can the virtual cockpit be put into pre face 2016 model s3?I know of 1 or 2 pre face golfs that have been done was wondering if it was possible on the s3 as really thats the main thing id change to a newer model for ideally after money ive spent on it id prefer to keep my own and add this on? thanks

Yer gonna need deeeeep pockets for this, be easier to part ex and get the newer FL with it in.

Reactions: Jassyo06, DW81 and DJAlix
In order to have a Virtual Cockpit retrofitted properly you will also need to retrofit all the supporting components:
  1. Virtual Cockpit Instrument Cluster
  2. Virtual Cockpit Dashboard
  3. MMI4G Gen 2 Unit and Controls (+screen depending on current setup)
  4. Virtual Cockpit Steering Wheel + Airbag
Without fitting number 3 you will nave no Media Data or Navigation display within your new VC and if you do not retrofit number 4 then you will have no control over the VC display options. Not installing a new dash (2) will leave you with all kinds of issues in the long run.

Note: Milage CANNOT be adapted, so your new VC will start counting from zero however your ECU will continue correct service milage.

More grief then it’s worth IMO

Reactions: Jassyo06 and T-800
More grief then it’s worth IMO
Grief? No... but this retrofit is not cost effective lol However some people have genuine reasons for wanting to complete this retrofit, with my most common customers being amongst the PFL RS3 owners who want the modern tech with their cast iron engine block. The FL RS3 is aluminium and yet to be proven, and there are not that many mods on the market as the car is very new. Many modded RS3 owners, and S3 actually, are very invested in their cars and starting over again with a FL vehicle is not possible or practical for most.

Reactions: ZeA38VSport, DW81, Schizophonic and 1 other person
This is just my opinion but never have liked all these computer dials in cars much prefer the good old analog ones. But like everything in life the computers are slowly being used in everything. Can’t imagine how complex it would be to repair if the VD was to ever sh.. itself

Reactions: Matt Titanium, T-800 and Jassyo06
Would sooner keep the dials than pay thousands for this virtual cockpit, definitely not worth it and it will soon be upgraded with a higher res screen come the new car

Reactions: DW81 and T-800
This is just my opinion but never have liked all these computer dials in cars much prefer the good old analog ones. But like everything in life the computers are slowly being used in everything. Can’t imagine how complex it would be to repair if the VD was to ever sh.. itself
Its replacement unit time if anything happens. Audi would then send the faulty unit back to the manufacturer for repairs, and if repaired the part number changes to "A".

Its replacement unit time if anything happens. Audi would then send the faulty unit back to the manufacturer for repairs, and if repaired the part number changes to "A".
So if that’s the case you would have to wait for your one to be repaired. I thought it would be a case of unplugging the old unit and plugging in the new one with a few tweeks to do. So you could be immobile for a while then.

So if that’s the case you would have to wait for your one to be repaired. I thought it would be a case of unplugging the old unit and plugging in the new one with a few tweeks to do. So you could be immobile for a while then.
No, your unit is swamped out for a new one and the faulty unit sent back to be repaired. Once fixed it’s then sold as a spare.

No, your unit is swamped out for a new one and the faulty unit sent back to be repaired. Once fixed it’s then sold as a spare.
Pretty much what Apple do with iPhones

Reactions: DW81

So does it mean any hardware part# ending with A is basically same as the one without and it's a repaired unit?
Hardware part# ending with alphabet B onward denotes a newer version I supposed?

So does it mean any hardware part# ending with A is basically same as the one without and it's a repaired unit?
Hardware part# ending with alphabet B onward denotes a newer version I supposed?
Correct re the A. Not sure re the B.

the mrs has a new 5 series as a hire car at the moment (great car btw) and it also has a screen for it's dials.

I much prefer analogue dials to be honest, in the same way that i prefer a good analogue watch to a digital one. I'm all for having a central screen for media etc but there is just something much cooler about analogue instrumentation. I reckon the top car brands will go back to analogue after the craze has finished or have a mix of the two.

Reactions: CHEZ
In order to have a Virtual Cockpit retrofitted properly you will also need to retrofit all the supporting components:
  1. Virtual Cockpit Instrument Cluster
  2. Virtual Cockpit Dashboard
  3. MMI4G Gen 2 Unit and Controls (+screen depending on current setup)
  4. Virtual Cockpit Steering Wheel + Airbag
Without fitting number 3 you will nave no Media Data or Navigation display within your new VC and if you do not retrofit number 4 then you will have no control over the VC display options. Not installing a new dash (2) will leave you with all kinds of issues in the long run.

Note: Milage CANNOT be adapted, so your new VC will start counting from zero however your ECU will continue correct service milage.
Thanks for the info alix, exactly what i was lookng for. Does sound a big job mind.

Reactions: DJAlix
I am in the middle of the vc changeover.
VC in pre facelift only is not the issue.

Radio:
You also need a new radio or no telephone, radio or mp3 layout in vc.
Navi in vc needs a special radio. An unlocked radio is a must. (for an upgraded radio, navi high screen is needed. For control you can use the old ones, a new one for looks. Dont forget your telphone antennas, usb ports and console including wiring.)

Acc:
Acc will work, but you will not have moving acc in vc , more an on/off switch in the grafics.
gen3 acc will work ok. So prapare for an upgrade. (these need FEC)
The first generation ABS modules will not accept the gen3 abs and give an ESP_33 error.
PLa 3.0 have the same error on these abs modules.
The 3th generation ACC have PACC funktion. Altough you need a way to enable FEC for PACC....

Towbar:
If you have a towbar, prepare to upgrade your module. older modules gives errors in vc.

VC control:
For the vc control, you need a new steering wheel (with view button) and airbag. The older round airbags will not fit. Older gateways won't accept your new steeringwheel so prepare to upgrade.

Camera: the older type camera will work for lane assist. Traffic sign recognition wil NOT work. You need the new type camera for this.

Side assist:
Older side assist will work. The newer side assist wil comunicate with vc. But needs cp removal and calibration, ony audi can do this.. (RTCA is the reason for opgrading side assist, you need pla2.0 or 3,0).

For people who are worried where to saw the dash for VC. The cover for vc fits in the uncut hole off the old cockpit. Its a tight fit. You can easy mark the saw line when the cover is in. I used a multitool for this.

The cockpit need cp removal and adapted to your keys. Odis will do this for you.

parts and bits.
The VC cover
Cable fron old to new cover.
Brackets (2)
Top cover for the stalks,bottem cover for vc (you only need the bottem cover for vc including the lether. Cant buy seperately at audi)
If found in junkjard/ebay take bottem and top stalk covers. Facelift top does not fit pre facelift bottem..

Reactions: ME CODING
Hi @m rol.
I also in the process to upgrade my A3 PFL 2014 with VC.
My Situation at the moment is that.

Installed:
MIB2 prepared for VC
FL Steering with View
Side Assist PFL
ACC PFL (acc3 written in VCDS) will these work in VC normal?
PFL Camera
MOST and Display Cable Preinstalled

Planed to install the next steps:
VC with cp and key learning
FL 3Q0 Camera. I hope to find an FL camera Bracket but at the moment i have to chang the Windshield. Hope after that all Assist will working
FL Side Assist with cp

You know something about that the new FL 3Q0 Camera do not let will the Lane Assist work?
And maybee you also know if my ACC will work?
These is in VCDS to my ACC Sensor

Adresse 13: Distanzregelung (J428) Labeldatei:| 5Q0-907-567.clb
Teilenummer SW: 5Q0 907 567 H HW: 5Q0 907 567 F
Bauteil: ACC3 H07 0096
Codierung: 001E1701FE030B
Betriebsnr.: WSC 12345 123 12345
ASAM Datensatz: EV_ACCBoschMQB 001023
ROD: EV_ACCBoschMQB_AU37.rod
VCID: 40D8B1863A050E978A9-8014

Thanks
Sebastian

Your acc will work fine. It can be that the acc in vc works vissually as an on off switch.
Looks like your Acc is factory specs. This means you can easaly upgrade to newer version.(your car has fec for acc) Acc sensors are not expensive (only the round one) I am stuck on old round sensor. Or expensive fec install. (There is only 1 guy i know who can do this, and get or registerd on audi server..)

Side assist works fine as do pre fl rvc and pre fl lane assist. Lane assist camera from pre facelift is not capable to show traffic signs on vc.

Altough lots off people don't agree putting the lane assist camera sonewhere else, i am aware some mounted on rear view mirror are working correctly. (Calibration is needed)
Going to do this instal soon.

Google earth is the last hurdle. Seems impossible...

Last edited:
Google Earth ist possible. The Guy who help me with this VC retrofit have Google Earth retrofit MIB2 in his own car.
BUT! You need an from Audi original during assembly process activated AudiConnect and Google Earth activated MIB2 Unit. If You found an Unit that is activation you can Prepare it with the patch to work in your car.

Ok the FL Camera i want to install in the next weeks,
My prefer is to change only the camera bracket himself. But i don't find these bracket as an single part. I need an old brocken FL Windshield and cut out these bracket to install it on my own windshield. I visit some dealers around me but no chance. So it looks at the moment so that i have to change the shield.

ACC, ok you mean i see in VC the green sign that acc is on and my set speed? But not the big graphic "road" with lines and the detected car in front of me? Show VC me in the small green icon the detected car?
What for an ACC sensor you have in your early VC times that not work like this way? Now you have the FL ACC?
I have retrofitted the ACC also the sensor is flashed to the last version of these round sensors.

Sorry for my question but what means FEC for ACC?

AHh ok Feature Enable Code or SWAP SoftWare As Product.

Ok yes my car has it from factory in. So i installed the ACC sensor and the rest of coding and everything worked.

Acc: every visual works the main acc is only on or off. If acc detects another car it will pop up but thats it. You don't see the car closing in on you.
So car in display is on (detects car) or off.
The issue; you don't see when it's time to overtake. On non vc you see dots on the side while coding in on car in front.

The pre sense part works perfectly. Showing increasing red line when you come top close.

The old round sensor (2013 and 14) have no fec. Only cp. So it's great retrofit material.

Your sensor could be fine with vc. If not, you can upgrade easy. If you have odis you can even calibrate it jourself.
To calibrate you need:
Level floor
90 flat wall (parking garage is usefull.. )
Odis

Park car with acc sensor exactly 1.2m from the wall (wall to acc sensor is 1.2m).
Measure distance from front wheels to wall. Distance must be the same.
Do the same with the rear wheels.

When tot are sure the car is in perfect place, steering wheel is centered, get out of the car and calibrate from the outside. Calibration must be done on empty car. Without driver.

My 8v1035035 is hacked. I guess audi connect is not activated.. also you read everywhere Google earth licence is not supported anymore. I was hoping to do the canadian a4 Google earth. But no luck.

my MMI2 retrofit has both google maps and Audi connect working fine so yes, it is possible but I know of somebody else who doesnt have them and hasnt been able to get them working. So something needs to be done before being hacked?

ACC, ok you mean i see in VC the green sign that acc is on and my set speed? But not the big graphic "road" with lines and the detected car in front of me? Show VC me in the small green icon the detected car?
What for an ACC sensor you have in your early VC times that not work like this way? Now you have the FL ACC?
I have retrofitted the ACC also the sensor is flashed to the last version of these round sensors.

Sorry for my question but what means FEC for ACC?

Maybe all the sensor needs is the latest version software to get moving acc in vc.
I have the 5Q0907541 acc sensor. Mine goes to 200kmh.

jaa we will see the next weeks.
today i stack for test the 3q0 cam and FL side assist in the rear. everything works fine. Cam of course need calibration. but no faults

Step by step

Reactions: m rol
Ok cool. But 1m34 is an Big picture.

you calibrate ist by yourself?

Not installed yet..
25 a4 papers...

Yesterday i installed the FL side view Sensor. And Everything work.

So today is the Day. I Drove to an freind and We Connect the VC. Deactivate the CP and Code all the Rest. Uuhhhh aahhhh

Reactions: Marky79
Job done.
VC is working and fitted to the Dashboard

Attachments

• E7FB197B-E036-4885-AFF5-048A4EE85F6F.jpeg
    E7FB197B-E036-4885-AFF5-048A4EE85F6F.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,005
Reactions: Leevr
Sebstar can you post details on side assist retrofit please . Well done on your completed projects

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hm ok. I installed the FL side view Sensor in my preFL bumper. I used an dremel to let fit the FL holder in the old styl hole. Connect the the preFL harness to the FL harness from the Sensors. Changed the LED in mirror, because FL is intern different to preFL. Hm Yea, codet the Sensor to the Car and Done.

Attachments

• C0AB0FE7-3F51-4BFF-9E1B-681E4F0F0D46.jpeg
    C0AB0FE7-3F51-4BFF-9E1B-681E4F0F0D46.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 708
  • 1575C161-CD42-4CFC-B483-E7216E0F06E0.jpeg
    1575C161-CD42-4CFC-B483-E7216E0F06E0.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 475
Thanks . Was it just a pfl to fl? I was thinking of doing a complete retrofit and wanted to know what was needed are the modules used ? Did they need calibrating?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk