VOSA MOT Check - Strange Discepancy

vag_fan

Reaction score
Hi guys
Have put a deposit down on an A3 TDi at a local garage. I thought id check the MOT history via VOSA and it came back with the following:

6583_286308754833903_520391233_n.jpg

As you can see, between 2011 and 2012, only 500 miles was recorded. I may be being paranoid, but i suspect something dodgy here? The dealer is doing a full HPI check, but im not sure this will reveal the whole truth.

What actions can i take here?

Cheers!

Could be a perfectly good explanation or it could have been clocked. Have you run the reg number past Audi to see if they have had it in at any point in that period?

Worst case.:
If its been clocked properly and the owner at the time has not had it in to a dealer ship or the mileage is not recorded somewhere (Fuel card) then you'll never know any different

Best case:
Its just hardly been used that year.

Is the last registsred keeper private or company? Leased or not?

Could be a perfectly good explanation or it could have been clocked. Have you run the reg number past Audi to see if they have had it in at any point in that period?

Worst case.:
If its been clocked properly and the owner at the time has not had it in to a dealer ship or the mileage is not recorded somewhere (Fuel card) then you'll never know any different

Best case:
Its just hardly been used that year.

Is the last registsred keeper private or company? Leased or not?

I have emailed Audi asking them for everything they know about the vehicle, just waiting on there reply.

Im not sure about the last registered keeper just yet, although i know it was given to the dealer in a PX deal - which makes me think it was a private owner

I would go to the dealers and looks at the V5 to see if private/leased/company also go through the owners pack to see if its been in to anywhere like Kwikfit, just maybe something to give you a lead.

If its private use the address to call a few garages in with a few mile radius to see if they have had it in at all.

Problem is these Audi do wear very well, mines done over 100k and if it was clocked back to 40 you would not question the interior

I would go to the dealers and looks at the V5 to see if private/leased/company also go through the owners pack to see if its been in to anywhere like Kwikfit, just maybe something to give you a lead.

If its private use the address to call a few garages in with a few mile radius to see if they have had it in at all.

Problem is these Audi do wear very well, mines done over 100k and if it was clocked back to 40 you would not question the interior

I do have all of the mot stations details via googleing their names, but im not sure of what exactly i can ask them?

Would it be a case of saying the car was in for an MOT in 2012, but the MOT prior to that was at a different station and there is only 500 miles between the two?

Not sure how i can go about investigating this!

Yeah that's what worries me, this could have been to the moon and back if its had dodgy owners, don't want to fork out for a cabbage

they say the steering wheel and gearstick start to show ware at around 80k but dont go buy the car if your unsure as it may come around to bite you in the future

I do have all of the mot stations details via googleing their names, but im not sure of what exactly i can ask them?

Would it be a case of saying the car was in for an MOT in 2012, but the MOT prior to that was at a different station and there is only 500 miles between the two?

Not sure how i can go about investigating this!

Yeah that's what worries me, this could have been to the moon and back if its had dodgy owners, don't want to fork out for a cabbage

I dont mean MOT garages, I mean just a local garage that may have done a service or changed pads. Just ring up and ask if they have ever had reg no ******* and if they recorded the miles

Thanks for the help chaps, the garage is going to run a full hpi for me so I will pursue further once I'm armed with more info. Audi last seen it in 2009 so not much use to me

If youre worried about it before buying it, just wait till youve bought it and it hiccups.Best leave it mate.

Reactions: vag_fan
looks like it may have been clocked if you ask me....if you put in the area code of the two phone numbers listed on the MOT Garages it's Gainsborough and Romford 153 miles apart...

Sorry just read through the MOT in a bit more detail.. one of the issues raised is the same, is there no PASS record after the first MOT shown on the screenshot.. that could indicate the car was off the road (as it didn't have a valid MOT)

Also could have been a typo by the MOT tester.

Ive seen many cars sit on traders forecourts for year after year, I bought a Saab 900 Convertible last year from a trader who had owned the car for 3 years and just threw it in for an MOT every year, it had done 100 miles in the first year, 400 the second and 12 the third year.

the trader had it priced wayy to high, i bought it because i got it at mates rates but it raised concern when i tried to sell it.

Isn't there a bit in the a3 stickies hip mileage flaw beware? Take a browse at that

Sorry just read through the MOT in a bit more detail.. one of the issues raised is the same, is there no PASS record after the first MOT shown on the screenshot.. that could indicate the car was off the road (as it didn't have a valid MOT)

Good discovery mate, this seems like a legitimate scenario. Ill see what the hpi check digs up too before I make any judgement.

I was going to post the same, the failure on a bush on 2011 is still there in 2012. If there is a pass, something fishy is going on, if there is not pass it could be that it was kept off the road.

might be worth contacting dvla for a sorn enquiry.if its been off the road it wont be taxed

can't you get it scanned and double check the "hidden" ECU mileage???

i *think* that is one that doesn't get 'clocked' even if someone takes a few miles off the car.... I may be wrong though.....

:thumb:

after the first fail did it ever pass?

Yeah, the realisation has just hit me :uhm: There was no pass between these two dates indicating that it should have been off the road which explains the 500 miles between them. Although they seem like an illegal 500 miles which shouldnt have occured, i think it means the car mileage is genuine. Non the less, i have emailed VOSA to dig a little deeper!

Thanks for all the input chaps, greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
It could have been sitting on a dealers forecourt for some time then moved to another dealer before you seen it. I have seen this quite recently with small independent dealers it just makes there stock rotate and makes them look busy with a good sales.

I went to see a r32 that was in a Indy dealer for over 6months nice looking car in pictures but over priced and had been re-spayed on the front end and had lots of over spray all over it so I walked away then when I bought my 3.2 the same r32 was sitting in the garage. I was shown it and when I said I had went to see it at xyz garage about 8 months ago that was it just moved on to the a3 3.2.

As said get it scanned as the mileage is recorded on the engine ecu and I don't think that can be changed.

When it comes to cars i personally walk away of there is even the slightest suggestion that there is something dodgy. Plenty more fish in the sea so to speak.

It could have been sitting on a dealers forecourt for some time then moved to another dealer before you seen it. I have seen this quite recently with small independent dealers it just makes there stock rotate and makes them look busy with a good sales.

I went to see a r32 that was in a Indy dealer for over 6months nice looking car in pictures but over priced and had been re-spayed on the front end and had lots of over spray all over it so I walked away then when I bought my 3.2 the same r32 was sitting in the garage. I was shown it and when I said I had went to see it at xyz garage about 8 months ago that was it just moved on to the a3 3.2.

As said get it scanned as the mileage is recorded on the engine ecu and I don't think that can be changed.

I think this is more than likely the situation.

The distance is 150 miles between the two MOT stations as russwuss pointed out, so it seems they might have kept the car for a while after the MOT failed and then passed it onto another dealer before it passed.

On another note, i wish it was a 3.2 V6 i was shopping for!! :hubbahubba:

When it comes to cars i personally walk away of there is even the slightest suggestion that there is something dodgy. Plenty more fish in the sea so to speak.
Quite. WAY too many issues most of which being explained away theoretically.DODGE IT

Reactions: vag_fan

Is this the blue R32 now in the VW garage in Rutherglen by any chance?

SF06 VMP???

cheers

Yeah that's the car I was talking about, wanting to know if that's the one Iain went to see.

I was going to look at it this weekend... hence why I'm asking, I may as well not bother! lol