VW Passat club - & first question! (alarm)

UkPassatMan

Reaction score
Hi to all, I have just come across this site!

After much deliberation I have had to lose our much loved 318iSE BMW and decided to buy a '99 Passat 1.8T sport (16" 5 spoke alloys etc). I must say I am more than delighted with it, especially after even having to fork out £700 on full service, cam belt change and finally - a new air mass meter (£250 for a part - DO what??)

What a difference this last one has made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif The independent garage I had the work done last week said it was running quite flat (I thought it was ok after driving the Bee-em), but the new part has make it go a lot better - driving with a smile on my face now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One question that is increasingly worrying me is the security of these VW's. I have found that the factory fitted alarm (my car does not have ultrasonics but remote blipper and red flashing LED in the drivers door) could be easily disabled apparently, something that BBC's Watchdog programme hightlighted a few months ago. Am I right to feel worried? Should I junk the factory alarm and shell out on an aftermarket one instead?

Any thoughts on the subject?

Please help out, I will not want to park it anywhere dodgy until I feel happy about this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks in advance,

UKPassatMan