Wait for 2019 RS3 or not?

Powerenhancer

Reaction score
Placed an order last week for a 2018 RS3 Saloon with 9% discount. Deposit down and all approved etc. only to find that the order books closed just before the order was raised due to the impending release of the 2019 model. The dealer has found a car in the network that is almost identical spec to what I originally ordered and will honour the same discount.

I have 2 choices:

1. Take the unregistered car that will be available in a couple of weeks.

2. Wait approx. 3 weeks for the order books to open for the 2019 model, delivery estimated Sep/Oct.

I am assuming changes to the 2019 model are likely to be minimal?

Take the MY18 car.

As you say, MY19 changes will be minimal, usually an extra colour added to the pallet or an extra combination of options but the car itself will be 99.9999% the same. The car has already had a facelift, it wont get another facelift.

Reactions: sve170, Powerenhancer and jungle650
Rumor is that nogaro is on its way back.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, DW81 and RS4B5
Take the 2018 RS3. The 2019 A3 won't be released as an RS3 until around 2021...

Reactions: RGBARGEE

He's talking about MY19, not the new shape RS3, hence option 2 being:

'2. Wait approx. 3 weeks for the order books to open for the 2019 model, delivery estimated Sep/Oct.'

So there's no news on the MY19 changes yet? I was wondering why RS3 FL disappeared on some broker sites like UKCarBroker.

Take the MY18 car.

As you say, MY19 changes will be minimal, usually an extra colour added to the pallet or an extra combination of options but the car itself will be 99.9999% the same. The car has already had a facelift, it wont get another facelift.

This is what I am thinking.

He's talking about MY19, not the new shape RS3, hence option 2 being:

'2. Wait approx. 3 weeks for the order books to open for the 2019 model, delivery estimated Sep/Oct.'

So there's no news on the MY19 changes yet? I was wondering why RS3 FL disappeared on some broker sites like UKCarBroker.

Misread, it's been a loooooooong week!

This is exactly as I think - usually they let a model run half its life then issue the serious stuff. So I agree with 2021...

THEN you have to ask yourself what will it be like? 2021 is a long way off in car years and with the eco brigade getting their way, will Audi [heaven forbid] ditch the 2.5 and use the Golf R engine instead..? The upside to this not happening is that VAG have spent a lot of money on the new engine which should mean that it will continue. But I do ask myself why Porsche slotted the Golf R engine into the bottom spec Macan - I would have thought they, of all people, would have used the 2.5... (but thinking about it, the 2.5 would blow their 'S' model 3.0L out of the water, so I guess it had to be the Golf engine....:whistle2:)

I say take the 2018 car - you may never see a 400bhp A3 again...:blue::blue::blue: on the other hand it may well be a 500hp upgrade...:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I can see the 5 cylinder staying if paired with electric like a hybrid, I actually think that could be a nice combination. Lets say it keeps the 400HP engine and adds a 130HP electric one, combined around 500?? Lower fuel consumption and emissions, faster acceleration, more power etc. Just hope they somehow get around regulations to raise the noise levels.

I’ll be very peeved if they release Nogaro blue into the colour pallet as a minimal
Cost option.

I paid for exclusive on it for my 14 plate S3 a few years ago and almost ticked the box again for my RS3 due in a few weeks, but stopped myself last minute and ordered ARA blue.
If Nogaro is released. Anyone want an Ara blue RS3 :)

Reactions: VAG_Club001, martin1984 and Terminator x
This is exactly as I think - usually they let a model run half its life then issue the serious stuff. So I agree with 2021...

THEN you have to ask yourself what will it be like? 2021 is a long way off in car years and with the eco brigade getting their way, will Audi [heaven forbid] ditch the 2.5 and use the Golf R engine instead..? The upside to this not happening is that VAG have spent a lot of money on the new engine which should mean that it will continue. But I do ask myself why Porsche slotted the Golf R engine into the bottom spec Macan - I would have thought they, of all people, would have used the 2.5... (but thinking about it, the 2.5 would blow their 'S' model 3.0L out of the water, so I guess it had to be the Golf engine....:whistle2:)

I say take the 2018 car - you may never see a 400bhp A3 again...:blue::blue::blue: on the other hand it may well be a 500hp upgrade...:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
The Macan doesn't use the Golf R version of the engine though, it uses the 252 PS version from the A4 2.0 TFSI. That engine was put in to sell more units in places that have big taxes based on displacement or emissions, which the 2.5 would be pointless in doing and Porsche have no history with the 5cyl anyway, it's an Audi thing.

There are rumours that VW will be bringing out a Tiguan R with the 2.5 but I'm not sure whether that will actually happen. Might be the rumoured upcoming VR6 turbo they're putting in the Arteon R if it happens.

Reactions: RS4B5
@trilla the TR spotted at the ring was a customers car with a doner 2.5 engine. No way will it get the RS3 engine imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

That is a tad embarrasing as I (although it is my wife's in truth) have a Macan with the base engine and just saw on the paperwork it was 2xxbhp so assumed it was the 290 of the Golf R! oops!:redface new: The engine is actually the only decent part of the car anyway!

Yes to the hybrid, but I just wonder if it would be priced too far out of its league - after all look at the hike in price of the RS3 now! Would it be viable if any higher?

Very interesting that the RS3 is gone from the configurator.

I think for them to remove it there must be some significant changes - more than just a normal MY refresh. I am not suggesting its going to be more powerful but there will be changes that require removing it and putting it back later.

Normal MY changes don't have this happen.

Placed an order last week for a 2018 RS3 Saloon with 9% discount. Deposit down and all approved etc. only to find that the order books closed just before the order was raised due to the impending release of the 2019 model. The dealer has found a car in the network that is almost identical spec to what I originally ordered and will honour the same discount.

I have 2 choices:

2. Wait approx. 3 weeks for the order books to open for the 2019 model, delivery estimated Sep/Oct.

Powerenhancer, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm late to the topic or I'm going about this the wrong way. Any chance of telling me where you were offered 9% on a factory order please? My local dealer who I've bought numerous cars from is only offering 2%. Cheers

Powerenhancer, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm late to the topic or I'm going about this the wrong way. Any chance of telling me where you were offered 9% on a factory order please? My local dealer who I've bought numerous cars from is only offering 2%. Cheers
Hi there ive been looking for a while the 9% might be because its a saloon as it seem hard to get any real discount on the sportback the best i was offered was through carwow on a 53k car was 4.3% then spoke to lical dealer there werent intrested in even trying to match it but on another thread someone said what about looking for a year old one with same spec infound one very close to the spec i wanted (didnt have pan roof) had less than 4k on the clocks and was asking 46k.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I’ll be very peeved if they release Nogaro blue into the colour pallet as a minimal
Cost option.

I paid for exclusive on it for my 14 plate S3 a few years ago and almost ticked the box again for my RS3 due in a few weeks, but stopped myself last minute and ordered ARA blue.
If Nogaro is released. Anyone want an Ara blue RS3 :)
Ara actually looks incredible under the sun, if I had a choice though, I'd go with Nogaro too lol

Hi there ive been looking for a while the 9% might be because its a saloon as it seem hard to get any real discount on the sportback the best i was offered was through carwow on a 53k car was 4.3% then spoke to lical dealer there werent intrested in even trying to match it but on another thread someone said what about looking for a year old one with same spec infound one very close to the spec i wanted (didnt have pan roof) had less than 4k on the clocks and was asking 46k.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Hi, it's a saloon I'm after - I'd be delighted to know where I can get anything like 9% - any suggestions? Cheers.

Thanks Martin - I have. 4% was the best offer from 1 agent, pennies from the rest unfortunately.

Best bet would be to order at the end of a quarter. I’ve always found being polite but to the point works. Also be ready to do the deal there and then to get the best discount, none of this I’ll think about it.

Call around a few dealers as well as some will be more willing to negotiate than others but above all.... be polite.

Good luck

Thanks for that good advice. Currently working away at the moment but I'll give it a bash when I'm home. Thanks again.

I think for them to remove it there must be some significant changes - more than just a normal MY refresh. I am not suggesting its going to be more powerful but there will be changes that require removing it and putting it back later.

I would guess the most significant change would be the price, normally a small increase to go with any "additions" to the spec ;)

It’s not been removed from the Configurator though?

I will update next week on where to get the bigger discount. Also applies to the hatchback.

The model 19 car may be equipped with more options included in the price, possibility of a black edition etc.
The infamous bucket seats might finally make an appearance lol
Then some new colours as the guys have noted ... could be worth waiting imo, especially if you can get the same 9% discount.

As for the brand new platform next gen car.
With Merc releasing a new A45 AMG with over 400 bhp you can bet that Audi will continue with the 5 cylinder 2.5l engine but I think they will bolt on a small hybrid unit too which will bolster overall power even higher :icon thumright:

I have 2 choices:

If the order books are like the TT-RS think it could be longer than 3 weeks before you'll get an order placed Books for the TT-RS Closed 24th Feb and still not re-opened.

I have a question, how have people been offered their discount? Has the dealer applied the discount before VAT or after.

The reason I ask, have been offered separate deals. 9% from dealers but 1 has offered it before VAT has been applied, the others have offered 7.5% after VAT. The 9% still equates to 7% after adding VAT so is this a dealer fudging the figures to make them sound better than what they are.

Discount should always be before vat, delivery, rfl etc

Can’t discount hmrc’s slice of the pie but obviously if the basic price is less the vat will be less

That doesn't seem right to me. Lets say you want a £50k car, before tax it'll be £41,667. If you take off 9% of that, its £37,917. Add the 20% VAT on top and its £45,500 (which is still a 9% discount). The other one would be 7.5% off £50k, which is £46,250. Unless I've made the calculations wrong somehow.

People calculate the discount they receive off the OTR list price of the car.

The dealer however can only offer discount on the pre VAT price of the car and can offer no discount from the OTR costs, delivery charges, first registration fee and first years VED rates. These are fixed and payable by the dealer.

The dealer doesn't specifically offer you a % figure, they let you know the cash price they can deal at. The customer (or comparison websites) then do their own maths to come up with a % discount off the list OTR price

To keep everyone on the same page, you should always calculate it from the OTR list to what you're actually paying.

Last edited:
I have a question, how have people been offered their discount? Has the dealer applied the discount before VAT or after.

The reason I ask, have been offered separate deals. 9% from dealers but 1 has offered it before VAT has been applied, the others have offered 7.5% after VAT. The 9% still equates to 7% after adding VAT so is this a dealer fudging the figures to make them sound better than what they are.

VAT is irrelevant as it works out the same regardless of how it is calculated.

If a car is 40,000 + VAT then the total price is 48,000

If you subtract 10% discount from the base price it is 36,000 + VAT, which is 43,200

If you subtract 10% from the full price it is 48,000 – 4,800, which is 43,200. Essentially the discount is 4,000 + VAT (4,800). It works out the same.

What about options ?

Discounts I’ve received in the past have been off the list price of the car.
Options have been a full rrp.

So say 10% off list price, plus options, plus Vat, rfl etc

I know some brokers have the options discounted when you pick them from the list. Not sure about the dealer.

What about options ?

Discounts I’ve received in the past have been off the list price of the car.
Options have been a full rrp.

So say 10% off list price, plus options, plus Vat, rfl etc

Every discount I have ever been quoted (BMW or Audi) has included options.

PM me. I am in the process of gaining permission from the dealer.

Here my 19 RS3 sports edition

Attachments

• Snapchat-860013199.jpg
    Snapchat-860013199.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 2,611
Reactions: NevMan