Waking the neighbors! It has to stop.

RS3CA

Reaction score
Hi. Wonder if someone can assist. A few questions....I expect someone else will have asked but 'search' doesn't seem to pull up anything.

The car has the sport exhaust option fitted with dynamic pack.

1. Cold starting wakes the neighbors! The motor springs to life in a very excessive way. It barks on with excessive revs (completely unnecessarily) and calms down after 30 seconds or so. It's like an exhaust valve is open in 'comfort' mode until it warms up a bit. Can this be tuned out? Each start is noisy, every time, unless hot.

2. Suspension in comfort mode was very acceptable when I picked the car up. It is much firmer now. Does the car 'learn' your driving style? If it does how do you reset it?

There are some things I like about this car apart from the above. EVERYTHING!

Reactions: CJ92
The exhaust valve can be fixed closed, but then it will never open in any conditions inc dynamic mode. I too was surprised it was so loud in start even in comfort.

Don't think the suspension learns. But it may bed in and settle over the first few hundred miles. Shouldn't make a huge difference to ride though.

My neighbors are not happy with our M135i and Cupra 280 starting up. On Thursday we were signing up for an ex showroom RS3 when a new owner just taking delivery started his up in the showroom. My wife was so startled she quite literally jumped out of her seat and told me I couldn't have the car. Salesman and I convinced her this was a special loud exhaust that we're not getting. I hope I'm right or I'll have to find a way to quiet it down.

Reactions: VAG_Club001, CJ92, BillTheButcher and 1 other person
I love the exhaust note when the car starts from cold.

To hell with my neighbours... I don't like them anyway!

Reactions: K55P BK, RS3 S., Ewan Currie and 7 others
Ours is the 'sports' exhaust. It's amazing. BUT I was told the comfort button made it as quiet as a Bentley. :)

Hi. Wonder if someone can assist. A few questions....I expect someone else will have asked but 'search' doesn't seem to pull up anything.

1. Cold starting wakes the neighbors! The motor springs to life in a very excessive way. It barks on with excessive revs (completely unnecessarily) and calms down after 30 seconds or so. It's like an exhaust valve is open in 'comfort' mode until it warms up a bit. Can this be tuned out? Each start is noisy, every time, unless hot.

2. Suspension in comfort mode was very acceptable when I picked the car up. It is much firmer now. Does the car 'learn' your driving style? If it does how do you reset it?

It does this for a reason and is part of the engine warm up procedure .

Huh? It opens the exhaust to noisy setting for a reason?? Not sure I follow you. It's the only car I've ever had that need to rev the engine so high on start-up (manual choke cars excepting). No problem with it revving, but with the exhaust noisy setting? Really? Why design a car that has the option of little noise...and then turn up the volume at cold start. Somethings wrong here. I must be doing/not doing something to induce it as I can't think the car is a). faulty or b). designed to do it unless requested. I'll get the manual out!

Try starting it and giving it a quick rev then let it settle see if it goes quiet quick.

Blipping it won't stop it, you just have to wait. And actually I've found trying to pull away whilst it is still in high idle it is very jerky and the gearbox has no idea about clutch control! I just wait now until it settles and use the time to plug the phone in and select a playlist for the journey.

It is by design, but I agree it's a poor design choice to have the flaps open. I get the need for a high idle as it wants to get oil moving and heating ASAP but it could do it quietly if drive select was pre set to comfort mode.

Oh well most other performance cars it had went off high idle if you blipped the throttle.

Reactions: Shocker
Blipping it won't stop it, you just have to wait. And actually I've found trying to pull away whilst it is still in high idle it is very jerky and the gearbox has no idea about clutch control! I just wait now until it settles and use the time to plug the phone in and select a playlist for the journey.

It is by design, but I agree it's a poor design choice to have the flaps open. I get the need for a high idle as it wants to get oil moving and heating ASAP but it could do it quietly if drive select was pre set to comfort mode.

My RS4 does it and believe me its a lot louder than the RS3,i read somewhere that there are fans that blow the exhaust gasses through on cold start to heat the cats hence the need for the flaps to be open.

http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com/docs/ssp/vwusa.com_ssp_822703_4.2l_v8_fsi_engine.pdf

Secondary Air Injection System

To heat the catalytic converters as quickly as possible, the fuel mixture is enriched during cold- starting and warm-up. This results in a higher percentage of uncombusted hydrocarbons in the exhaust gas during this period.

Because of the air injection downstream of the exhaust valves, the exhaust gases are enriched with oxygen, leading to oxidation (afterburning) of the hydrocarbons and the carbon monoxide. The heat released during this process also heats the catalytic converter, helping it to reach its operating temperature faster.

The secondary air injection system is comprised of:

• – Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Relay J299

• – Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Motor V101

• – Two self-opening combination valves

Input signals:
    – Signal from the Oxygen Sensors (for system

diagnosis)

– Engine Coolant Temperature Sensors – Mass Airflow Sensor load signal
Secondary Air Injection Pump

Connection on

Reactions: josedebardi
It always barks on start-up, just one of those things. Sod the neighbours quite frankly!

TX.

PS my neighbour loves the start-up noise, he wandered over and specifically mentioned it recently.

PPS swapping out the sports exhaust might work, I reckon you'd be able to get someone to take it off your hands ;)

Reactions: RGBARGEE, jimojameso and Snake Pliskin
Its a performance car guys and you paid extra because you wanted the noise of the sports exhaust and now you're moaning and suggesting its a "bad design":wtf: And it'll do the same with the standard exhaust thats the mechanical workings of the car.

Reactions: Ghost, Yorrick, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
I'm not bothered, if there is a good technical reason per your post then fair play.
It's just the 1 in 50 times I might want to make a quiet exit I can't, but with those odds it's not a problem!

I'm not bothered, if there is a good technical reason per your post then fair play.
It's just the 1 in 50 times I might want to make a quiet exit I can't, but with those odds it's not a problem!

Just use the Hyundai i10 Premium SE Morning Blue, its even the right colour for the quiet early morning starts:yahoo:

Reactions: josedebardi and T-800
Lol .... :)

Come on it's an RS .... we want it to loud !!! :)

We'd be moaning if it was quiet ha ha !

Reactions: Yorrick, jimojameso, Scotty2011 and 2 others
Agree with Daytona
After owning an RS4 the 3 is quiet by comparison on start up

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Haha, it seems you've got yourself in a situation.. most worryingly with the other half, I give my sympathy :haha:

In fairness, these cars are bought to be loud, if anything from what I have heard previously I would say it could go louder :racer:

Cold starts are part of the joys of owning one, your neighbours can't exactly complain too much if you are starting your car.. they meet the noise regs for on road use don't they? :happy:

Before you start trying to change anything to ruin the experience of the car and spend any money, the only advice that can be offered IMO is invest in some earplugs for the neighbours, just to rub some salt in the wounds :yes: ;-) I will take great enjoyment in waking my estate up at 6am on my way to work :haha:

Reactions: AndyB-S3, T-800, Yorrick and 2 others
Oh well most other performance cars it had went off high idle if you blipped the throttle.

Your Scooby never used to
I remember you turning on the anti lag and blasting up the street at 5.30 in the morning
Loved it

Lol alright Don,
Aye you and jules loved it.

The focus Rs b7 rs4 and the m135i all working like that with a quick blip .

Alright dude
I'm sure your m3 used to come of high idle with a blip
Just bought myself a s5 v8 in black if your wondering why I'm lurking about on Audi forums
Nearly bought a Scooby but everyone I seen had rot or head gasket problems
Audi awesome with the v8
Looked and test drove that 6.2 vxr8 down at Arnold sharks but it broke down on test drive
Tried a rs4 but that done same
So v8 Audi beast it is
Give me a shout when you get the rs3

Have to agree that if you spec the dynamic pack you are asking for trouble (I have!). However I fitted a BMW performance exhaust to my previous M135 and have to agree it was pretty embarassing first thing in the morning, in fact I took it off after just 6 weeks as I preferred the standard 6 cylinder sound. On the RS3 though I think its a must spec item for me as I want Mag ride. TBH I'm sure the neighbours will be okay, they'll get used to it.

One of mine insists on leaving his Disco V6 diesel ticking over early each morning on the drive and it no longer wakes me as I have come to expect it...

Speculation that I've bought the wrong car needs correcting :end of discction:

I'm not about to start asking my neighbors what car they think I should get either :sign ot:

But it's odd that Audi have gone to the trouble of designing a car that can be both noisy and quiet when desired....but not from cold. :sadlike:

Wondering if the valve could be closed during start in the software?? Presumably this issue exists with the standard exhaust too??

It's good that it's loud chaps, get a Nissan Leaf if you're concerned about sleepy neighbours!

TX.

Reactions: AudiNutta and xpoweruk
Your neighbours should be more productive and get up earlier.

Reactions: RMJ891, AudiNutta and Spin140
Does anyone have a recording of a cold start? :hubbahubba: Only one on You Tube of a Sepang blue car, that isn't the best really.
When I went out on test in one, I can remember how loud it was parked on the other side of the dealership car park and we were inside, it was very loud to say the least haha. Regretted immediately listening to the salesman by waiting inside :sadlike: I've been out in 5 of these now, only heard one cold start when I were inside.

I don't have the sports exhaust but I can't wait to annoy my neighbour... They're tossers! :'(

Reactions: RMJ891 and jimojameso
I don't have the sports exhaust but I can't wait to annoy my neighbour... They're tossers! :'(

Totally agreed. My street has 5 courses including ours, 2/4 neighbours are families of tossers that we have argued with before and the other two are elderly.. waiting to see how it will go down :yahoo:

As for the rest of the 20+ houses I will pass on the way out, I can't speak for them :haha:

Start the car, as soon as it starts, turn it off and start it again. Will still be loud as soon as it starts but the loud idle will not be there.

I do not imagine it being great for the car however

happy to swap you for my standard one and pay for the swap over.

Start the car, as soon as it starts, turn it off and start it again. Will still be loud as soon as it starts but the loud idle will not be there.

I do not imagine it being great for the car however

Not worth doing that, the car won't appreciate it as you said haha.