Want those nice LED running lights off a S6 on your S3 or A3?

Me likes allot! id fit them if there is a replacable housing.

I wouldnt want to see the hole where the fogs were

Not sure if anybody else has contacted VAGParts, so I've just sent Alan a mail to see if he can track down any additional information on what is needed and prices, etc.

Will let you know the outcome.

Couldn't resist something as shiney as this so just got me some off ebay £120 inc. pp

From now on I'll be waiting for postman to deliver like an expectant father!

MarcQuinlivan said:
Not sure if anybody else has contacted VAGParts, so I've just sent Alan a mail to see if he can track down any additional information on what is needed and prices, etc.

Will let you know the outcome.

I sent an email asking for prices etc... No reply as yet other than the "We've got your email" auto responder.

Von Maximo said:
Couldn't resist something as shiney as this so just got me some off ebay £120 inc. pp

You'll have them in time for the weekend. It's a crappy forecast so you'll be in the garage all weekend! Get some pics up.

Von Maximo said:

Looks like we've found our guinea-pig!!

Out of interest, which bumper do you have? Standard or S-Line? Or do you have an S3?

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the install.

MarcQuinlivan said:
Looks like we've found our guinea-pig!!

Out of interest, which bumper do you have? Standard or S-Line? Or do you have an S3?

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the install.

Standard bumper with fogs so need to source some blank fog light grills or try to adapt originals with mesh or plain plastic of some sorts. Already been to Audi stealership and they want £20 per grill!

from what I've been reading on various forums I'm hoping that the S6 fog light insert thingy will be a direct swap for the A3 S-Line one - if that's the case, then the whole job becomes so much easier.

wouldn't mind spending an extra couple of quid on the grilles to have it looking right, plus when it comes time to change the car, the lights can be easily un-retrofitted (if you know what I mean!)

Take it you will be able to splice the wire from the LED running lights into the DRL lights just behind the bulb housing in the engine bay?

If so they will work off the DRL switch in the car and the wire would be a easy feed from the LED light location in the lower grill just up the engine bay?

JohnS3 said:
I sent an email asking for prices etc... No reply as yet other than the "We've got your email" auto responder.

£107 for the lights and wiring bits, but you have to make up your own loom. Postage is extra.

MarcQuinlivan said:
what does "wiring bits" mean?

You can't actually buy a loom for the lights so vagparts will sell you the correct plug and wiring terminals so you can make your own. You just need some wire and away you go.... ;)

JohnS3 said:
£107 for the lights and wiring bits, but you have to make up your own loom. Postage is extra.

Do AS.net members get a discount from varparts? If so then the price will be a little lower.

But this this mean I have to start cutting holes in my grills?

funguf said:
But this this mean I have to start cutting holes in my grills?

Mine have just arrived in the post! My initial thoughts are that the bumper & Grill are going to have to be modified/butchered

Would love to see some pics of how others have actually fitted these units before I atempt. Anyone got any links or info?

Von Maximo said:
Mine have just arrived in the post! My initial thoughts are that the bumper & Grill are going to have to be modified/butchered

Would love to see some pics of how others have actually fitted these units before I atempt. Anyone got any links or info?

Then check out the link I posted above...

Just had mail from Alan @ vagparts.

They have added the S6 LED DRL kit to their shop - £127.11 plus the VAT for ASN members with the discount.

They can also provide fog light deletion grilles for £16 each.

Von Maximo,
any update on how your install is going?

I guess the fog lamp deletion grills are only for the normal bumper. The S3 does have larger holes.

JohnS3 said:
I guess the fog lamp deletion grills are only for the normal bumper. The S3 does have larger holes.
S-Line fog light deletion grilles are also available at the same cost. I would assume the S3 is not available as it comes with fogs as standard.

JohnS3 said:
Thats what's stopping me from doing it.....
if you let what the saxo\corsa\nova drivers do stop you from doing something to your car, you'd never be able to do anything - bigger wheels, lowering, body kit, upgraded radio, etc.

The difference with these is that if done properly, they'll look genuine, whereas on a nova\corsa\saxo they'll look aftermarket and cheap.

MarcQuinlivan said:
if you let what the saxo\corsa\nova drivers do stop you from doing something to your car, you'd never be able to do anything - bigger wheels, lowering, body kit, upgraded radio, etc.

The difference with these is that if done properly, they'll look genuine, whereas on a nova\corsa\saxo they'll look aftermarket and cheap.

Difference is function over form, rather than the 'covered in superglue and ram raided halfords' look.

They look ok if fitted correctly, I can't see how they would coinside with an S3 bumper though without modifying the part around the fogs, also with the fogs already in place I don't really see any need for them.

Each to their own though.

S3IZZO said:
Difference is function over form, rather than the 'covered in superglue and ram raided halfords' look.

They look ok if fitted correctly, I can't see how they would coinside with an S3 bumper though without modifying the part around the fogs, also with the fogs already in place I don't really see any need for them.

Each to their own though.
I take your point - however, I have the S-Line bumper, so it is an easier(ish) mod for me.

If you could get a fog light deletion grille for the S3 would you consider fitting the LEDs?

I'd perhaps consider fitting them to the A3 S-Line sportback we've got (providing they looked OEM as per the white S4 above) but not the S3 - I like it the way it is, I can't see any point changing something just for the sake of it when it will provide little if any difference to the actual workings of the car.

Just finishing of my retrofit of these lights.

This aint for the faint hearted as you need to cut/modify the bumper, manufacture brackets and there's no going back either, especially if you had fog lights as you have to cut the brackets off.

But once fitted they look the dogs! Well worth the effort and cant believe how bright they are! Just need to sort the grills out and I'll post some pics

S3IZZO said:
I can't see any point changing something just for the sake of it when it will provide little if any difference to the actual workings of the car.

why did you fit 19 inch RS4 replicas then? they don't make any improvements to the actual workings of the car.

Von Maximo said:
Just finishing of my retrofit of these lights.

This aint for the faint hearted as you need to cut/modify the bumper, manufacture brackets and there's no going back either, especially if you had fog lights as you have to cut the brackets off.

But once fitted they look the dogs! Well worth the effort and cant believe how bright they are! Just need to sort the grills out and I'll post some pics
I'll look forward to seeing the pics.

This is a cheaper solution to the OEM S6 lights:

SurajLEDLights.jpg

S6c.jpg

LEDsoff.jpg

count me in on groupbuy provided they come with necessary blanking fog plates for the gap so that the finish product looks like the white s4's

Not sure what it is but on every pic I've seen so far they seem to low down to be of any pratical use !
Suprised there is not a rule governing what height they have to be from the road ?
the solution that Naresh has shown seems the simplest - but agree they would not look good with the S3's foglights
Richard

rsarjantson said:
Not sure what it is but on every pic I've seen so far they seem to low down to be of any pratical use !

They are intended to be side lights, so they only need to show other road users of your presence. And considering that they are brighter and more distinctive than the norm I would say they do a better job!

rsarjantson said:
Suprised there is not a rule governing what height they have to be from the road ?

Why should there be? they're not exactly scrapping the floor!

rsarjantson said:
the solution that Naresh has shown seems the simplest - but agree they would not look good with the S3's foglights
Richard

Simplest but wont be as effective or look as good as the A6 version plus if you intend to use them as replacement to your original side lights then they wont be DOT approved.

rsarjantson said:

Looks like there is, taken from here. Thanks to babelfish for the excellent translation...

That applies to all vehicles if the day driving lights "is correctly installed. Day driving lights must be installed as follows: - minimum distance by the soil 25 cm if the lights only as TFL to be used. - minimum distance is used by the soil 35 cm if the lights as TFL and parking light. - maximum distance of the soil 150 cm. - the distance between the lights must be at least 60 cm. - the distance from the vehicle outside edge maximally 40 cm."

JohnS3 said:
Looks like there is, taken from here. Thanks to babelfish for the excellent translation...

That applies to all vehicles if the day driving lights "is correctly installed. Day driving lights must be installed as follows: - minimum distance by the soil 25 cm if the lights only as TFL to be used. - minimum distance is used by the soil 35 cm if the lights as TFL and parking light. - maximum distance of the soil 150 cm. - the distance between the lights must be at least 60 cm. - the distance from the vehicle outside edge maximally 40 cm."
is this a German law or a European one?