Want to sell my S4 but what to buy? suggestions...

a4quat

Reaction score
Ive got my S4 up for sale http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-AUDI-S4-...s_UK?hash=item2ea8475c85&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
and need some suggestions on what to buy next, im wanting to pay a lump off my loan and buy something for around 5-6k, i've seen an 03 plate subaru but you stick out like a sore thumb with one of them! ive seen a rx8 for 6k but dont know much about their rotary engines! so place suggestions here please....:icon_thumright:

i wouldnt consider the RX-8 they arnt that quick no torque and drink fuel like no tomorrow.

Whats the object of the car? you want fun? speed? looks?

2nd hand rx8's often need expensive full engine rebuilds and drink oil (and fuel) regardless fo the state of the engine.

What are your priorities? Speed, handling, load space?

Thought about getting two cars? Pug 106 Rallye + a 1.9TDI Avant or something like that?

Agree, stay away from the RX8 - So uncomfortble and sound awful aswell as limited performance, you'll get bored too quick!

Subaru's nowadays sling you into the 'Boy racer' category....but I wouldnt say No to a Minter P1.

How about a Seat Leon Cupra R? Lovely looking Bulky motor...

I was really wanting anything (within reason) that's not fwd but im actually coming round to the fact that i cant really think of anything apart from a b6 1.8tqs!
my needs are that there is just usually me in the car but weekends there is all 4 of us in it occasionally, the seat leon cupra r is a good idea co the wifey has a leon and it copes quite well when the whole family is in that! its just that the build quality isnt too good on her car, plasticy squeaky kinda car.

I was really wanting anything (within reason) that's not fwd but im actually coming round to the fact that i cant really think of anything apart from a b6 1.8tqs!
my needs are that there is just usually me in the car but weekends there is all 4 of us in it occasionally, the seat leon cupra r is a good idea co the wifey has a leon and it copes quite well when the whole family is in that! its just that the build quality isnt too good on her car, plasticy squeaky kinda car.

Really boring to sit in too, dashboard wise, i always wanted a cupra r, got a diesel instead as couldnt aford insurance etc, and after it crashed i just couldnt bare more year with that dull interior.

If its fun then id suggest the clio 172 182 etc.

After the S4 i think its the only downgrade where you'd still have fun.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1276538.htm

something like this. Just heaps of fun.

or failing that,

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1260453.htm

Go jap, best bang for your buck.

Last edited:
maybe approach it from the other side: why are you ditching the S4?

fuel economy? cash-flow? size? too big/too small? vandalism?

if you just a want a cheaper, more economical version of the S4 to free up some cash and keep running costs down, then a 1.8TQS with a few tweaks (remap, RARB) will still give you some kick and better economy... injectors/turbo are the next upgrade, but then you'll start losing the economy...

scooby would be good fun, but not much class... is this for long a daily commute? (back to the economy question)

I didnt notice that in your sig mate, So the mrs has a Cupra - Yeah Id be the same, why have the same motor!!

So your trying to stay 4x4??

How about a nice clean Golf 4motion? Ive had some fun in one of them and sound awesome with exhaust and filter...

or....how about an S3????

lostbok asked about my daily commute, it is 10-15 mile, so not much really but i do about 10-12k per year.
Also asked about the reason I want rid of the S4, its because i just want to pay a chunk off my loan so i can put some cash into my savings for christmas and whatever comes along so im not really bothered about fuel economy.
BMW 530d = good idea
clio 182 = good idea
S3 = good idea
jag and skyline = not really interested

okay - so "freeing up cash"... and it's not about size / economy or needing something faster / slower... and given the interest in the Clio / S3 sounds like you're open to the idea of much smaller cars and/or 4-pots...

I can see why the RX8 appeals - I was seriously considering one, but only because it would have been on the company scheme and they pay for ALL maintainence and everything (aside from petrol)... they're a bit light on torque, but supposed to be very chuckable and good fun. That said - not sure i'd touch one 2nd hand!

There's a lot out there, especially if you're open to going older too (BMW E30 318is's are cheap and fun!)... rememeber 4motion and S3's are kinda Quattro, but you'd need to spend a grand or so getting the Haldex to behave like a Torsen system (in the A4's, S4 and up), so don't expect the S3 to behave like a mini-A4 out the box...

I can see the appeal in the smaller cars, but I'd also want something more solid for the familly, so you'reback at the obvious choice (certainly for anybody on this forum): 1.8TQS, £250 on a remap into the 200+bhp territory... £75 for a RS4 RARB and it'll be taughter (and a LOT lighter) than your S4 and a few grand cheaper ;)

After that, look at injectors, turbo's (presumably clutches) if that's still not quite pushing your buttons - but that can all be done later - after you've freed up the cash from the S4 and are feeling better about spending some cash.

OR..... get the missus an A4 1.8TQS and then get yourself a little old MX5 for some cheeky top down RWD motoring?

Last edited:
How about a Subaru Legacy B4 RSK?? 280 bhp, AWD, way more subtle than an Impreza and i just happen to have one for sale, in black! :whip:

and Huwbert just bought an A4 Quattro Sport.... you know what the sensible option is.... 1.8TQS and a few minor tweaks...

The other option - if you're reluctant to go all the way to a 4-pot and/or want to keep the engien as standard, then how about an A4 3.0 Quattro (£5k will get you a 2004 S-Line - with 150k mileage!) and just over 6 will get you a Votex kitted version with 70k... both have leather, but no Sat Nav... but then the leather is harder to retro-fit ;) The S-Line looks more OEM and will give you more than a grand to throw at Sat Nav, RS4 RARB and any a few other tweaks that you may want...

When I had time for all those upgrades: I would have gone for the 1.8T as it'll be lighter and easier to tweak the engine, but then you might be like me (now) and just looking for reasonable power out the box, so just look at the 3.0 V6? Or cross over to the dark side and go turby-derv? But then you do definitely lose some of the fun and revvy nature of those petrol engine, if not the pace ;)

Last edited:
okay... if 530d is an option, but fuel economy isn't an issue and you still want a bit of genuine grunt...

BMW 540i Sport (4.4 litre V8) - they're at a discount due to the market being flooded as company fleets are cut down and people avoiding big petrol engines....

For <£5k, there's a 2002 with full leather, tv, satnav and full BMW service history.... but since there's no mention of mileage, I'm guessing "starship".... but still worth a look (and test drive)....

Only thing worth being wary of: the gas-guzzler tax band kicks in for cars after which date? Might be well worth going for a slightly older car if that band is 2001/2002!!

edit: whoops - yep, thought this might be an issue:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/News/Road-tax/Guide-to-tax-changes/

"How road tax is calculated: Whereas car tax on all models registered before 1st March 2001 is based on engine size, cars registered on or after that date are taxed according to their emissions."

So if you're going for a big-engined car, then maybe stick to the pre March 2001 models, otherwise that's £200 extra a year on tax alone...

Last edited: