OliS3

Reaction score
2017 08 25 14 02 37 unicorn motor developments  Facebook Search

Reactions: ruairi83 and -Ju-
*popcorn*

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSS-S3, batch, AudiNutta and 3 others
I get that people want to map cars but then hiding it come servicing etc to save the warranty is effectively fraud.

Reactions: gone, Jassyo06 and richinsoton
I'll believe a map is completely warranty safe when you can take it to Audi to get it done, or there's an official post from Audi saying that they are working in conjunction with …

Reactions: AudiNutta, Milnesafc, Jassyo06 and 2 others
'& sign the file as if it were written by the official dealer tool'. All well & good until someone checks if the car was in a dealer on that particular date / no official record of a download on that day etc etc...

I'm yet to be convinced.

Reactions: Vertigo1 and TYb
'& sign the file as if it were written by the official dealer tool'. All well & good until someone checks if the car was in a dealer on that particular date / no official record of a download on that day etc etc...

I'm yet to be convinced.

Exactly. The mappers can claim whatever they like, if an engine comes in for warranty work and it looks like the result of a remap, they're going to do some digging before they fork out thousands to repair it.

Reactions: richinsoton
Exactly. The mappers can claim whatever they like, if an engine comes in for warranty work and it looks like the result of a remap, they're going to do some digging before they fork out thousands to repair it.

I agree. But then you can take it back to where you got it remapped and tell them they refused a warranty claim because of the remap. If they claim it's warranty safe when it's not surely you have grounds to claim against them.

I agree. But then you can take it back to where you got it remapped and tell them they refused a warranty claim because of the remap. If they claim it's warranty safe when it's not surely you have grounds to claim against them.

The speech marks make me think that they're playing it safe a bit and won't guarantee it's 100% warranty safe.

Reactions: OliS3
Assuming they haven’t gone bust in the meantime. In which case you’re screwed.

Assuming they haven’t gone bust in the meantime. In which case you’re screwed.
Unicorn aren't going anywhere. Forum sponsor and very well respected

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: FBF01
I might be missing the point, but aren't claims after a remap usually big bucks and near terminal problems? I was under the impression that a remap put extra strain on the engine & gearbox components hence why it voids the warranty, in effect pushing the car beyond the manufacturers safe limits. So, for example that chap in the yellow S3 recently whose clutch went because of a remap. We all agreed (i think) it was cos of the remap, but if he had got this style of remap then how is he meant to get it back to the garage to have the ECU flashed back to normal and then back home to ring Audi Assist when his clutch is f****d!?

Frankly I'm surprised such talk is permitted on here. As stated above, this is fraud and thus illegal.

Ultimately I guess if you remap, you have to be prepared to void your warranty and front the money yourself.

Reactions: Mark_86 and Jassyo06
Looks like potential fraud to me and absolutely unfair to any potential future owner!

I might be missing the point, but aren't claims after a remap usually big bucks and near terminal problems? I was under the impression that a remap put extra strain on the engine & gearbox components hence why it voids the warranty, in effect pushing the car beyond the manufacturers safe limits. So, for example that chap in the yellow S3 recently whose clutch went because of a remap. We all agreed (i think) it was cos of the remap, but if he had got this style of remap then how is he meant to get it back to the garage to have the ECU flashed back to normal and then back home to ring Audi Assist when his clutch is f****d!?
I have to agree, ok I used to run a map before audi were bothered and have warranty work done. BUT audi sold me a car that had been remapped and didn't care. Seems like they're put there foot down a lot recently and I can understand why. Some stage 2 cars are making stupid power and in the long term is going to wear the car quicker.

Regarding the clutch, they don't last with stock cars but if you're going to map it you've got to expect to uprate the clutch

Ultimately I guess if you remap, you have to be prepared to void your warranty and front the money yourself.

Indeed and that's perfectly fair. People need to accept this if they remap and not try to find ways to defraud Audi if something goes wrong.

From what I've heard audi are quite fair on what they cover on a mapped car. As long as they don't completely void the warranty which they don't then it's fair enough in my opinion

What is the difference between fitting a tuning box to a car and driving it around removing the tuning box when the car goes to be serviced and having your car remapped and then the remap removed. The answer is nothing. Yet a lot of tuning boxes are sold by companies as the solution to increased performance whilst a car is still under warranty as they are touted as being undetectable.
There are plenty of people fitting tuning boxes to these cars and removing them when the car goes to the garage
I would take a remap from Rick any day of the week over any tuning box. He has vast experience with these cars having owned one for a long time so knows what makes these cars tick.
Failures are seen on bog standard cars that have never been mapped or had a tuning box fitted.

Reactions: xpoweruk, NHN and FBF01
Hi All,

Just seen this thread and would like to add some clarity.

We are not about to start accepting cars on tow trucks to reset them back to factory.

Unicorn have a history of honest and transparent tuning. We have stated publicly numerous times over the years that if you are worried about your cars warranty in anyway do not modify it. We will never guarantee any modification will retain the original warranty.

However, there have been numerous cases where parts have failed and have not been warranted because the car had been previously tuned, even though the tune would have had a negligible effect on the part in question (e.g. cam shaft sensor, runner flap motor). IS38 turbos also fail at an alarming rate. The reason for this is that they have serious manufacturing defects which causes premature failure. They can and do fail regardless of whether the car is tuned or not. We are in a position that the car can be flashed with the original software and it will respond to the dealer tool as it had left the factory and not automatically void the warranty.

If somebody wants to run a large turbo setup, run it hard and then has an engine failure then they shouldn't expect the manufacturer to pick up the pieces!

The vast demand for tuning boxes is driven by the fact they are marketed as warranty safe. They are inferior to a proper calibration in every way, both in terms of potential power outputs and engine reliability. However, people buy them as they think if anything goes wrong they can take it off and send the car to the dealer.

Thanks, Rick

Reactions: MikeParkin, baby.sportback, -Ju- and 3 others
Hi All,

We are not about to start accepting cars on tow trucks to reset them back to factory.

Unicorn have a history of honest and transparent tuning. We have stated publicly numerous times over the years that if you are worried about your cars warranty in anyway do not modify it. We will never guarantee any modification will retain the original warranty.

However, there have been numerous cases where parts have failed and have not been warranted because the car had been previously tuned, even though the tune would have had a negligible effect on the part in question (e.g. cam shaft sensor, runner flap motor). IS38 turbos also fail at an alarming rate. The reason for this is that they have serious manufacturing defects which causes premature failure. They can and do fail regardless of whether the car is tuned or not. We are in a position that the car can be flashed with the original software and it will respond to the dealer tool as it had left the factory and not automatically void the warranty.

If somebody wants to run a large turbo setup, run it hard and then has an engine failure then they shouldn't expect the manufacturer to pick up the pieces!

The vast demand for tuning boxes is driven by the fact they are marketed as warranty safe. They are inferior to a proper calibration in every way, both in terms of potential power outputs and engine reliability. However, people buy them as they think if anything goes wrong they can take it off and send the car to the dealer.

Thanks, Rick
The fact that you'll flash back cars is wrong and you shouldn't be advertising that you can do it.

What is the difference between fitting a tuning box to a car and driving it around removing the tuning box when the car goes to be serviced and having your car remapped and then the remap removed. The answer is nothing. Yet a lot of tuning boxes are sold by companies as the solution to increased performance whilst a car is still under warranty as they are touted as being undetectable.
There are plenty of people fitting tuning boxes to these cars and removing them when the car goes to the garage
I would take a remap from Rick any day of the week over any tuning box. He has vast experience with these cars having owned one for a long time so knows what makes these cars tick.
Failures are seen on bog standard cars that have never been mapped or had a tuning box fitted.

Well said that man!

So you're defending the concealment of a remap on the basis that unrelated components could fail. Will you refuse to restore the original software if it's likely the failure is related to the remap? Who's to decide what failures are and aren't relevant?

If Audi state that their warranty is voided by a remap then that's their prerogative. Regardless of what failures occur and whether you deem them related to the remap, restoring the original software in an attempt to deceive Audi into honouring a voided warranty is fraud.

Reactions: TYb and testcard
Audi regularly flash over a remap to reset the software and restate the warranty. They have released official statements to this effect. This is the same process.

Yes we certainly would refuse to reinstate software on a car that had a modification related failure, and for this we would use our own experience and judgment. If you are coming to us for a service, it would imply that you respect our expertise in this field. We are not infallible, far from it, but this is encompassed in the risk you take when modifying your car.

If it's something you are not comfortable with then it will not be a service you will utilise. I am under no illusion that somebody may wish to take advantage of such a service to try and obtain something they rightfully are not entitled to, but that is essentially their prerogative. Much like I cannot guarantee that they will not use their vehicles newly acquired prowess to break the speed limit.

Rick

Reactions: MikeParkin, Rolly12, FBF01 and 1 other person
We are in a position that the car can be flashed with the original software and it will respond to the dealer tool as it had left the factory and not automatically void the warranty.

Aside from the other issues highlighted by others, do you mean you will flash the ecu as if it had just left the factory or to the date of when the remap was made? Wouldn't it be weird that, for example, my 2014 A3's ecu had no history stored at all when going in for warranty work? Sure Audi would be suspicious. ,must admit I have no idea what's stored on the ecu but I'm just curious!

The ECU doesn't have a history as such - there is no log of all events, just a current kind of "status" of where things are at. Things like mileage are in there, but we stay clear of that.

Rick

Hi All,

Thanks, Rick

I'm a huge admirer of your work Rick, from what I've heard. However to bracket all "tuning boxes" as far inferior is not on, not accurate. You cannot tell me that the Abt unit, or the MTM Cantronic, are no good - in fact having seen inside one of the MTM boxes, you're practically fitting a piggyback ECU there's that much going on!
Fully agree however that cheaper options that just wind up boost and fuel are not a good idea, and I dare say that any faults they cause will be obvious should questions be asked.

Reactions: RSS-S3
So you're defending the concealment of a remap on the basis that unrelated components could fail. Will you refuse to restore the original software if it's likely the failure is related to the remap? Who's to decide what failures are and aren't relevant?

If Audi state that their warranty is voided by a remap then that's their prerogative. Regardless of what failures occur and whether you deem them related to the remap, restoring the original software in an attempt to deceive Audi into honouring a voided warranty is fraud.

Mate, Audi rip you off as it is. Stop defending a company that has defrauded all its diesel customers for years on end!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: davc, fence, FBF01 and 2 others
Mate, Audi rip you off as it is. Stop defending a company that has defrauded all its diesel customers for years on end!!

Oh give it a rest. Whatever Audi/VW have or haven't done is no justification for advocating fraudulent warranty claims.

Reactions: richinsoton
Oh give it a rest. Whatever Audi/VW have or haven't done is no justification for advocating fraudulent warranty claims.

I've to give it a rest after one post?

All your posts on this thread say "fraudulent warranty claims" or something along they lines, it's boring... give it a rest

Reactions: MikeParkin, FBF01, RSS-S3 and 1 other person
Excuse me for actually having some principles and giving a toss about the law.

Reactions: richinsoton, Bitzieee, Ormesome and 1 other person
Excuse me for actually having some principles and giving a toss about the law.

I think the majority of people got that after your first post.

Take a seat in the moral high chair
6d3362cebd6329621425d68332ce6c4c.jpg

P.S. I don't and never have remapped my car due to worries of potential refused warrant claims.

Reactions: FBF01
Well done Rick, ever the innovator, tracking down the code for that want simple, so I applaud the r&d, also, you can't please everyone.

Reactions: MikeParkin, xpoweruk, Glasgoe Joe and 2 others
I'm a huge admirer of your work Rick, from what I've heard. However to bracket all "tuning boxes" as far inferior is not on, not accurate. You cannot tell me that the Abt unit, or the MTM Cantronic, are no good - in fact having seen inside one of the MTM boxes, you're practically fitting a piggyback ECU there's that much going on!
Fully agree however that cheaper options that just wind up boost and fuel are not a good idea, and I dare say that any faults they cause will be obvious should questions be asked.

The MTM etc are a piggy back, and they are still inferior to a proper calibration, They cannot alter and control the internal torque structure of the ECU, they are just taking away boost reading here, increasing fuel pressure signal there etc. They cannot alter the feed forward PID loop for the boost control. They cannot change the PID control of the fuel pump. They have no idea of the current turbine flow, wastegate flow, compressor speed, compressor efficiency and calculated exhaust gas temperature. There is no technical situation where they can ever perform better than the original ECU - apart from being used to drive additional outputs such as water injection - the JB4 is good at this for example but I still wouldn't let it manipulate any sensor values

Rick

Reactions: Rob2k68, MikeParkin and OliS3
The ECU doesn't have a history as such - there is no log of all events, just a current kind of "status" of where things are at. Things like mileage are in there, but we stay clear of that.

Rick
Thanks for clarification that the ECU doesn't have some huge memory that records every last detail that some people seem to think on here. Probably wasting your time arguing with alot of people on here aswell who fundamentally disagree with remaps no matter what you say, and think tuning boxes are more moral for some weird reason.

Reactions: Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. and Rolly12
I've to give it a rest after one post?

All your posts on this thread say "fraudulent warranty claims" or something along they lines, it's boring... give it a rest

I'd say it's factual over boring mate and companies/car owners shouldn't be pulling the wool over others.

I don't see this as any different than all those with piggy backs like JB1/4, DTUK etc where the main reason people get them is that possibly undetectable so not to void warranty. I bet nobody with one of them leaves it on when getting any work done. We don't hear endless talk of how wrong that is but as soon as a tuner possibly has undetectable software everyone on high horse about it.

Reactions: Rob2k68

I shall sit here with my popcorn in hand, whilst you (A complete stranger on the Internet) guesses and informs other people of whats actually been done to my car!

You dont know Me or My car.....So I would advise getting your facts inline before you start Bringing out your ******** ;)

Have a nice day........

Reactions: MikeParkin
That wasn't very polite!