Washer Jet Questions

giblets46

Reaction score
Hi, with the cold weather, and gunk all over the roads I have a couple of washer jet related questions!

• Heated Washer Jets: I've read two things about these, one says they come automatically below a certain temperature, the other says they come on with the rear windscreen heater (and another states the wing miror heaters should be selected). Which is it?
  • Headlight washers: Do these spray everytime you spray the windscreen? One in ten times? Only when headlights are on?
Cheers!

Not any more. The B6/7 solution was much better i.e. you controlled it.

Now it's automated. I played with VCDS trying to change it to how it was but I've have had to set it to a higher number between washes.... infact since I've just had my 3G software upgraded and all my settings have gone, this is one I need to re-do.

My B8 is the same as Redspudder's.....hold the stalk in for more than a few seconds and the headlights wash as well.....every time.

Thanks, just the heater system to work out now!

Yeah sorry.You're right. I was confusingmyself ... and then everyone else!

"The headlight washer system only operates when the lights are switched on. The headlights are automatically washed the first time and every fifth time you move the lever to position 5. The headlights will also be washed if you hold the lever in position -5- for longer than 2 seconds."

Position 5 is winscreen wash.

I was trying to disable the 5th time thing.

Does the B8 have as standard heated washer jets, or is this an option?

Ran a B6 S4 for a long time and never had a problem with washers freezing. Bought an ex-Audi B8 S4 and the washers keep freezing up.

Had a quick look and pretty sure there are no electrical connections. Any ideas?

I believe all have heated jets in fact I can't believe they wouldn't have. Perhaps it's not the jet that's frozen but the bottle. Since it's new to you maybe someone didn't maintain the correct mix?

A week or so ago we had a thaw, so I sat in the car with the washers running constantly until the bottle was empty, then refilled with neat quality washer fluid.

Weird. I've never had an issue on my TT, S4 or A4.

I use Audi's fluid and vary the mix according to the season. Perhaps that's it ... or maybe it's coz I live in the tropical south ;)

Halfords -15 (neat) stuff works a treat, and currently its -8

Audi goes to -70 and my mix means I'm currently good to -30.

Overkill? Maybe but I don't have it freeze on the screen when I apply it or suffer blocked jets etc.

I've not bought any for ages as last time I bought a number of them and of course you dilute them but the website says £4.25

Audi Accessories < Owners area < Audi UK

I guess if could get expensive if you're doing big miles or the conditions get really mucky so that you use gallons of it.

Last edited:
Yep Audi, VW and Skoda is all the same. I even checked the price at Skoda in case I could save a few pennies but I couldn't.

I got some pre-mixed Sainsbury's stuff the other day after the last lot ran out, about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.
Had it in a week, and washer barely work ever, just read the label, for winter weather down to -2c!!!

Audi chrome is also known to stain when using cheap screen wash, so watch that too....

Thanks Scotty. Poured in neat concentrated washer fluid bought in Costco when the bottle wasn't empty and it seems better.

Otherwise car goes well in the snow. Was a bit worried about going from a manual to the S-tronic but so far it seems to go without problems