Washer jets retrofit

aristides

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals

Tell me something. How big of a hassle is it to remove the washer bottle to add the headlight washer system?

Just had a look at my engine bay and the washer bottle seems to be well stuck underneath.

Would it be a wise move to open up a hole in it to add the pump for the washer jets?

Cheers

you couldnt really add the hole afaik mate as the heaedlight washer system bottle has a recess for the pump

you couldnt really add the hole afaik mate as the heaedlight washer system bottle has a recess for the pump

NHN is currently doing it to my car, so it can be done

By the sounds of it, it's a HUGE fecking job

i wasnt saying it cant be retro'd i was recommending the use of the new washer bottle

Let me know how it goes don, cause i`m thinking of adding the jets myself, even if its not needed here in Greece by our MOT

Let me know how it goes don, cause i`m thinking of adding the jets myself, even if its not needed here in Greece by our MOT

I've done it for the novelty factor, and also for MOT when it comes about in 2012 for cars with xenons

AFAIK, it's been finished :)

Proof that it can be done, just a lot of work :laugh:

20100607-IMG_2524.jpg

20100607-IMG_2526.jpg

Oh man i`m loving the pics. How hard of a job was it actually?

And who fitted them? NHN? I`d like to hear some ideas on how to remove the washer bottle and how to attach the new pump!

pumps are push fir if youre removing the bottle, im not 100% on howto though the accident did that for me :)

Haha Phil,ok then gimme an guess, what would i have to remove to get access to the washer bottle? :)

esiest for acess is the radiator panel but thats wayyyy too much work you should be able to get it out from the top, if mine was still in id have a look, ill check my a3 and get back to you tomorrow

Thanks mate really appreciate it.

I`ll also wait for NHN to give me a guide on how to get my hands on this ****** washer bottle! Really , could they hide it ANY better? :)

you couldnt really add the hole afaik

The washer bottle has a mark where the hole would be if supplied precut for the system

i was recommending the use of the new washer bottle

Nah no need, cut hole out as I did.

Hey at last all done! Looks good! You're getting there now!

You mean I am, he's just buying the ocassional lunch lmfao

pumps are push fir if youre removing the bottle, im not 100% on howto though the accident did that for me :)

Need a bung that the pump pushes into which is fitted into the hole
Haha Phil,ok then gimme an guess, what would i have to remove to get access to the washer bottle? :)

Bumper off & washer bottle sits pretty much in front of drivers wheel, easy access

esiest for acess is the radiator panel but thats wayyyy too much work you should be able to get it out from the top, if mine was still in id have a look, ill check my a3 and get back to you tomorrow

Nope, no need to remove rad etc.

I`ll also wait for NHN to give me a guide on how to get my hands on this ****** washer bottle! Really :)

Do you have elsawin?

Use existing bottle.

Its things like wiring with correct gauge for current load, relay & relay plate, plus like Jordans car, yours may have a low electronics board under the bonnet, which inturn needs wiring from to the interior fusebox, etc etc etc, alot of work, let alone his other mods.

But feck me, that pic we got Jord is amazing huh, really is such a perfect take mate, kudos.

Those washers are the funniest aswell man, love em, make me laugh everytime I see them in action.

It probably would work, but thats not to say you wont need other wiring etc to get it functioning, as I have had to do with Jords car, I never use Kufa looms.

It probably would work, but thats not to say you wont need other wiring etc to get it functioning, as I have had to do with Jords car, I never use Kufa looms.
I guess i would need some extra work since Kufatec are a bit sh1tty but it will help me gain some time to begin with

I`ll keep you posted mate, i`m defo gonna need your help :)

heers nhn didnt realise the washerbottles came precut, ive only ever seen the ones ithe headlight washers

they arent pre cut but they have a circle that you can use as a guide to cut you original. Am I right in saying they jets are about £70 each or was I having a bad dream? Looking good indeed, Im fairly sure its my next mod, just rare for parts 2nd hand LOL

cheers nhn didnt realise the washerbottles came precut, ive only ever seen the ones ithe headlight washers
The washer bottle has a mark where the hole would be if supplied precut for the system
Hence why I said that me old cockle :p

they arent pre cut but they have a circle that you can use as a guide to cut you original. Am I right in saying they jets are about £70 each or was I having a bad dream? Looking good indeed, Im fairly sure its my next mod, just rare for parts 2nd hand LOL

Yeah the parts are a shed load Ew trust me, but so cool mate, the novelty factor alone makes it worthwhile to me, yeah I know simple things simple people, who cares, kid at heart :p

Ah also, no need to remove the bottle, did it all whilst still fitted to car.

Little helper for modders:

When dremelling out the hole, plastic bits get in the bottle which could block the pumps, so slowly fill the bottle up from above & the plastic bits will rise up to the hole if you park the car on a slant so the bottle side is higher, gravities a wonderful thing huh, empty a little liquid then redo this 3-4 times, no need to fill the washer bottle up, just so water rise just above the hole.

Last edited:
How did you feed the cables from the washer pump to the inside of the car though NHN? Easy? :)

And one more thing, this is the correct elsa diagram right? (I know its in Greek but you get the idea)

elsaa.jpg

Last edited:
Do me a favour please, make it smaller, its ridiculous.

Thanks in advance & yes that looks correct.

Ridiculous? :)

I resized it to fit a 19" screen!!! Looks fine to me cause of my 22" screen :)

Could you also do me a favour mate, do you have a part number for the relay (J39)? And any part numbers (other than wires) that you needed to fit!

Many thanks again

That elsa diagram is all greek to me mate.

That elsa diagram is all greek to me mate.

Could you post your ELSA diagram that describes the washer jet install? I guess it would be the same just with english descriptions.

I`m currently thinking of avoiding the kufatec solution and doing a loom myself, but im gonna need the plugs + relays to complete it.
That`s why i asked for the part numbers!

Look at the kufatec loom -> I already found the part number for the main plug that connects to the pump, but im missing the second plug + the relay

kufatec.jpg

PMSL, sorry couldnt help myself, reminds me, have to watch Big Fat Greek Wedding again, love that movie.

You need to check etka mate as yours is a different year to mine & the car I'm doing, you need to follow the wiring through that fits the pump, fusebox etc, I cant advise really given cars changed alot in 08 as I've seen prefacelift with some facelift parts, just work back from the pump mate using Elsa, wire gauges, relay positions, etc.

The relay goes into the relay plate thats above drivers footwell, elsa shows you where that relay sits & etka will advise which relay it is that fits in that slot as etka will say headlight washer relay, then etka will advise which wires fit which relay, fuse positions etc.

I cant stress enough how important it is to use either the correct gauge wire in these applications or next 1 up as there are some wires that dont exist with pin ends needed, so you use say a 1mm instead of a 0.5mm as I did, also noticed the relay doesnt have the 0.5mm pin end so I got the next best size & cut end of & soldered the pin end to the 0.5mm wire I had, cause can end up with to much resistance if not to careful, airbag circuits are especially touchy in these cases.

Now go read Aristotle :p

My headlight washers have stopped working for some reason, is there a single fuse for the headlight washers?

there is a fuse for them. It will be marked on the trim cover for the fuses. When did you last use them? Could it have happened during the frost & you havent noticed or is a recent thing. Could also check they arent stuck down with crap.

Couldn't tell you the last time I noticed they worked, I'll check the fuse and give them a quick clean.