Washing Observations

What's wrong with a Halfords dual action polisher? Because in principal its basically the same as any other dual action machine ...actually the Halfords DA being cheaper it won't spin as fast as a Flex/Rupes polisher so even more impossible to burn through a clear coat you can use a dual action polisher all day long and it won't burn through the clear coat it's designed not too because of its free spinning offset axis .....you shouldn't hold car paint detailers in such high esteem as its not that difficult to get the same results on the paint work as they do... you probably paid a fortune to a detailer hence your upholding opinion of them ....although in your defense using a detailer is a lot more convenient to a lot of people......perhaps you should take up detailing then you'll find out for yourself how straight forward it really is....
Nothing wrong with Halfords DA tbh. The detailer I use gives me a discounted rate but it’s still a lot of tedious hours correcting etc. just trying to make him aware of the dangers of rotary’s combined with inexperience on a nice car.

Reactions: 3vans and Jassyo06
I've done a fair bit of DIY swirl and scuffs removal.... if it's your first attempt go by a scrap bonnet or door to practise on before going at your rs3!

I just used my girlfriends car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Southall87, RSt3ve and Jassyo06
Side skirts are also damn soft and prone to swirls
You should increase the dilution rate of the snow foam you use ...bottom of the car only but then again thought you got a ceramic coating? Anyway a smaller DA is ideal for such area's

Reactions: 8YARWY
Im glad you know everything ;) thanks god
Far from it....but if you care for the paint on your car like you say you do well it's well worth looking after it .....Turbo ain't the easiest paint to look after it being a flat paint

Far from it....but if you care for the paint on your car like you say you do well it's well worth looking after it .....Turbo ain't the easiest paint to look after it being a flat paint
I do care but its scratch anyway like all new paints :) but my car still dont have wax ceramic or anything on it

Im glad you know everything ;) thanks god

giphy.gif

Reactions: Terminator x and Jassyo06
I would never let any car detailer anywhere near my car, all this bright light stuff looking for slight swirls is complete bo**ox in my opinion, I wonder how many do actually remove too much Lacquer and say FA? Lets be honest they are hardly going to say ''I've messed up on your wing edge, but not to worry I will pay to have the wing refinished''

• Haha
Reactions: HulkRS3
I would never let any car detailer anywhere near my car, all this bright light stuff looking for slight swirls is complete bo**ox in my opinion, I wonder how many do actually remove too much Lacquer and say FA? Lets be honest they are hardly going to say ''I've messed up on your wing edge, but not to worry I will pay to have the wing refinished''
I understand your scepticism of detailers ...that's why l took upon myself to learn all that is required...main thing was trying out compounds and polishes and pads ...there's a lot if trial and error involved ...in this department but it all boiled to cost buy cheap you get inferior products its so straightforward....but can be hard work....main thing is never rush machine polishing the paint....Youtubers Glamourise it.....and its in their own interest to do so as they're promoting their business plus products am not one for paint perfection " if that even exists"l just look for a finish l am happy with as should everyone else ....

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY

Sound like my Dad lol. He likes a clean car but beyond that isn’t bothered about swirl marks… meanwhile I die inside when the sun hits his paintwork on a bright day and the swirls light up like a Christmas tree.

Any detailer worth their salt will take paint readings and properly inspect the car before doing anything.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Sound like my Dad lol. He likes a clean car but beyond that isn’t bothered about swirl marks… meanwhile I die inside when the sun hits his paintwork on a bright day and the swirls light up like a Christmas tree.

Any detailer worth their salt will take paint readings and properly inspect the car before doing anything.

Add in the fact any new car shouldn't need much paint correction just a once over with a single stage correction....

Reactions: garethdj
Add in the fact any new car shouldn't need much paint correction just a once over with a single stage correction....

I’ve given the dealer strict instructions that it doesn’t get prepped, all covers on etc. I’ll make a call at the time, if the paintwork is in good nick I’ll give it a light ceramic myself and if it needs even some light work I’m just biting the bullet and will have it in for a new car detailing and full coating.

Got all the gear and half an idea but don’t have the time, patience or garage space (atm) to do it all properly.

I’ve given the dealer strict instructions that it doesn’t get prepped, all covers on etc. I’ll make a call at the time, if the paintwork is in good nick I’ll give it a light ceramic myself and if it needs even some light work I’m just biting the bullet and will have it in for a new car detailing and full coating.

Got all the gear and half an idea but don’t have the time, patience or garage space (atm) to do it all properly.

My last 2 cars l told the dealer not do anything to the car and guess what they did lol aye finding the time and energy to give the new a car the full monty is difficult....but best not to be to anal about such things ...you'll give yourself unnecessary stress

Based on my research I don't see that I could make the paint worse than it is. The DA polisher is designed so it doesn't burn the paint/lacquer/whatever you call it off.

And starting with a small area I will be able to see how it is going. I am confident with patience I can make it a lot better. I doubt I will do the whole car in one sitting though. I will probably start on the rear boot lid as it is a small area. Then the rear panel or roof top. Before lastly doing the bonnet (which has a stone chip on it all the way through the paint so I will need to buy some touch up paint).

Based on my research I don't see that I could make the paint worse than it is. The DA polisher is designed so it doesn't burn the paint/lacquer/whatever you call it off.

And starting with a small area I will be able to see how it is going. I am confident with patience I can make it a lot better. I doubt I will do the whole car in one sitting though. I will probably start on the rear boot lid as it is a small area. Then the rear panel or roof top. Before lastly doing the bonnet (which has a stone chip on it all the way through the paint so I will need to buy some touch up paint).
I would go with starting off on the bonnet its the easiest panel to machine polish on the saloon or on any car the rear bonnet lid aint as its convex in its design ...roof panel won't be easily done either given your a small chap.....doesn't matter if takes a few weeks to complete as long as you do your best

I’m interested in learning how to do this myself too so keen to hear how you get on @Spinstorm . I have a feeling it’s harder than it looks, and I have this fear of sticking a power tool on my pride and joy ;-). Good luck!!

I’m interested in learning how to do this myself too so keen to hear how you get on @Spinstorm . I have a feeling it’s harder than it looks, and I have this fear of sticking a power tool on my pride and joy ;-). Good luck!!
It's not harder than it looks.

The most difficult thing is choosing the compound to use so I'll help you with that: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax-ex-04-06-polish

The Halfords DA is actually very good. The key thing is it has an 8mm orbit so really works the compund and means you don't need to spend hours on one panel.

I built my own hifi speakers, sanded, filled primed, painted and laqured (all automotive car materials) then colour sanded and polished with the Sonax and the Halfords DA. The attached image is actually MDF!

Also images of my car before and after.

Attachments

• shinytop.jpg
    shinytop.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 64
Search out the forensic detailing channel on YouTube...guy called John he's got numerous videos for those who want to start up/beginners detailing .....

Reactions: RichK, RS3ree, garethdj and 1 other person
Search out the forensic detailing channel on YouTube...guy called John he's got numerous videos for those who want to start up/beginners detailing .....

And Esoteric…..

It's not harder than it looks.

The most difficult thing is choosing the compound to use so I'll help you with that: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax-ex-04-06-polish

The Halfords DA is actually very good. The key thing is it has an 8mm orbit so really works the compund and means you don't need to spend hours on one panel.

I built my own hifi speakers, sanded, filled primed, painted and laqured (all automotive car materials) then colour sanded and polished with the Sonax and the Halfords DA. The attached image is actually MDF!

Also images of my car before and after.

I’d disagree and say it is harder than it looks. Not saying it’s hard full stop but you need patience, time, trial and error (pads and compound as you say), right conditions so on and so forth, technique using the da so it doesn’t bog etc

Reactions: Keano04 and Jassyo06

+1

Reactions: RS03??? and Jassyo06
I’d disagree and say it is harder than it looks. Not saying it’s hard full stop but you need patience, time, trial and error (pads and compound as you say), right conditions so on and so forth, technique using the da so it doesn’t bog etc

Routine that's what it's all down to and remembering it....more time you spend with the machine then revealing the results the more your confidence will grow......one tip i found out was to use ear plugs....cheaper the machine the noisier they are...l suffer from tinnitus hence l went from... a Das 6 pro plus to the Flex machines they're far quieter
For instance you'll get similar results with a £150 machine polisher as a £350 one.....but you wont get the same results using cheap compounds and pads as you would with expensive compounds and pads....poor routine poor results....don't go for a machine polisher with more than a 15mm throw.....as they become more difficult to control.....15mm throw with 125ml pads...ideal size

Reactions: RS03??? and 8YARWY
This was after the second application of car pro iron x… gives an idea on quite how much is building up.

Probably around 80% removed now but had enough for today so will come back to it.

Over 3k miles in now.

f99b7699f991561fa38a2bf59ded445f.jpg

Found the first stone chip today :(

On a side note, the matt black finish isn't great...rather patchy

20220528 173224

Do you plan to refurb them?

The rs logos on the wheels may be tricky to retain after a proper refurb…
Not sure yet. We'll see if I manage to kerb them, hah! Would be tempted to do them in gloss rather than matt

But yeah, I can't see how the etched rs logo can be replicated.

Not sure yet. We'll see if I manage to kerb them, hah! Would be tempted to do them in gloss rather than matt

I bought some decals from here.

At least they can be over lacquered if need be.

Reactions: hef and RS03???

I’ve already braces the wife that if/when Mike get a refurb they will be gold…. As much as I like the Vader spec on mine, it wouldn’t have been my first choice but I’m not going to change before I have to.

I too will be going for a gloss finish though

Reactions: hef