Water dripping into car when doors opened?

SamR92

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've noticed the last few days when I open either the drivers, passenger door or boot after it's been raining, the seats, carpet and trim get a soaking? Is it just me, or is this a design fault on the A3's?

Sam

I've noticed this too...not soaking though, just a few drops on the seats... Still shouldn't happen.

I get this too, I wouldn't say it gets soaking but its ****** annoying!

I've had the car ~5 weeks now, and it used to be just a little drip, but the last few days we've had snow/sleet/heavy rain and it just seems to be getting worse to the extent I need to wipe the seat so as not to get my trousers wet

Same here: few drops on the seat bolsters, leaves water spots that I have to clean off. When I wash the car I double a microfibre over the edge of each seat so when I open the doors afterwards they don't get dripped on.

is this a problem with the 3 door or 5 door, or both?

Mines a 3 door, but from above it looks like the 5 doors do it too

Reactions: Minion Bob!
Depending on how bad it is (My A3s still on order but from the above it seems Quite annoying) maybe we should look into making a bit of noise about this and see if Audi have any response?

its most annoying when u are in the car and open the door to get out and get a lap full of water as u stick your leg out

I never get more than a few drops onto the driver's seat when opening the door. it's a minor annoyance.

The worst is when driving off in wet car with the window open and then turning left.....my arm, the door card and electric windows switches get a soaking from water sheeting off the roof. It's worse on a freshly waxed car.

You should try having an A5 then you'd moan.

Do you guys have the roof rails or not on the 5 doors?

I get this with my 3 door as well, nothing will stop it either

This sounds danm right annoying guys, maybe we should do a poll or something to see how many people are affected? sorry still new not sure how to get those sort of things set up...

I think it's down to the design of modern cars in not having guttering. My Golf had the same problem as did my BMW 1 series and my last s***y company car a Vauxhall Insigna.

Drive a 3-door S3 and this has annoyed me since day one! I get quite a few large drops on the seats and a nice covering over the seat rails and carpet! Problem is made much worse when parked on an incline horizontally and you open your door uphil, had a very wet chair then!

Seems just as bad even when it's been lightly raining, as if it collects somewhere!

This is a well known Audi design feature, it existed on the 8P too.

Wait till you discover the "morning shower" feature involving a window (down) and a corner ;)

Reactions: Wondering Soul and S3orge
Yep, I certainly experienced this issue with my last car (A3 8P). Especially annoying with snow. No matter how much snow I tried to clear from the car, I would always end up with a big mass of snow on the drivers seat upon opening the door!

I can't say I've noticed the issue with my A4 B8 that I've owned for 2 years

Try having a TT followed by an A5 and you'd realise it's an audi trait. Worse on the previous cars, doesn't really bother me to be honest. When it starts to leak into the footwell like my TT then I'll start to get miffed.

You get a wet bum in a Mini because of this..... seems like a common problem across lots of makes and models.

All gutterless designed cars suffer from the water running off the roof, I get none inside the car though. Maybe it's because I don't drive with my windows open...

Reactions: Snibo