Help Please Water leak - S4 Avant

mk4gtiturbo

Reaction score
So I've had the S4 Avant for two weeks now (and I'm loving it!) but last week I heard a pop from the radio (B&O) and it went off. I took it back to the dealer this weekend and scanned it (no codes found) and ended up taking the amp out and when we turned it over some water dripped out. We put a hose on the rear of the car to see if we could see where it was leaking from but nothing, tried door seal, boot seal, rear window seal and lights, nothing.

Is there a common leak that could cause this? Anyone else experienced similar? Obviously the dealer doesn't want to just put another amp in without fixing the leak as it'll just go again next time it gets wet.

Any help much appreciated as the car is going back to the dealer to find the leak.

I can't help there, but quite a few amps do seem to get killed by getting "watered" .

Edited after reading OP properly!!

I checked the tailgate seals but not internally. It's got to be worth checking but I can't see how it would get out of the tailgate and above the amp, although that doesn't mean it's not!! It looks to be dripping directly onto the amp.

Having researched a bit more looks like I need to check the pan-roof drains.

I don't have the info you need but this is definitely a "known" issue, although not too common. Have you done a search (here and Audizine) - I'm sure you'll be able to find one where the problem is detailed.

I checked the tailgate seals but not internally. It's got to be worth checking but I can't see how it would get out of the tailgate and above the amp, although that doesn't mean it's not!! It looks to be dripping directly onto the amp.

Having researched a bit more looks like I need to check the pan-roof drains.
Any drainage points could be a problem. Bizarrely, I noticed the other week, when washing the car, that water was pooling inside the fuel filler area. On further examination, I noticed for the first time a little drainage hole just under the filler neck, which was clogged up with gunge. A few prods with a paper-clip end and it was clear.

Reactions: scotty76
On my B6 avant the leak was in the pipe to the washer which runs through the connector on the drivers side.If its not right it kinks and splits letting water run down that side into the car.A good indication is a weak jet from the washer.Judging from the water mine was probably never installed properly but it is a weakness in all tailgates

Any drainage points could be a problem. Bizarrely, I noticed the other week, when washing the car, that water was pooling inside the fuel filler area. On further examination, I noticed for the first time a little drainage hole just under the filler neck, which was clogged up with gunge. A few prods with a paper-clip end and it was clear.
Well I never. I've been drying this for months without realising it's supposed to drain! I'd just assumed it was a poor design. My thanks kind sir!

Reactions: Keef and jdp1962
And that’s a job that both of us can just about do without breaking anything. :)

Reactions: Keef and scotty76