Water leak through fan blower (pics)

MS3

Reaction score
DSC08857 2
Hi, I have caught a water leak in the act trying to leak into the passenger footwell. See the pictures below. I put cling film over the air filter so it is definitly coming in around the interface of the fan housing with the Plenum area.

View attachment 163713
DSC08856 2

Not sure if you are just showing everyone or asking for advice but... this is common and is typically due to the plastic scuttle panel not clipping into the bottom of the windscreen properly... this means it can't seal and then water get past, drops onto the pollen filter and leaks into the fam hosuing

There is a plastic strip glued to the bottom of the screen... this comes loose over time and moves when trying to clip the scuttle panel in preventing it from sealing

<tuffty/>

It was a bit of both - I was showing and asking. I thought I had covered the pollen filter with cling film to prevent water getting in that way. Th.e cling film is so fragile I might put some plastic over. Obviously I am not using the blower when covering up the intake.

That plastic strip on the windscreen you talk about is all messed up.

If you take it of and give it a good clean as a lot of crap can get stuck between the plastic and windscreen you might find it will go back on and seal for you.

I've now given myself a bigger problem now... I've cracked my windscreen putting the rear-view mirror back on (the ball and socket joint)!
Windscreen crack

I had the same leak in the passengers footwell, I rebonded the lower strip on to the horrible nordglass windscreen and it still was not a success, in the end I made a cover from a rubber floor mat and attached it to the metal scuttle panel above the pollen filter with some rivets through the existing holes and some washers on the inside, it has been dry as a bone since then, I replaced the carpet with one from a much lower mileage car and now I have no more wet dog smell and no more condensation inside the car. I’ll be getting a brand new genuine Audi screen fitted soon

Thanks for that info Syncro.

I know I am going off topic but how do I tell if I have my original windscreen? This is the current (now cracked) one:
Windscreen make

That’s a genuine screen, not sure if it’s a replacement or not though as the previous owners could have gone to Audi for replacement, my last one was done through my insurance by mr windscreen 3 years ago and they used a poor quality screen

I had this problem as well, took scuttle of and cleaned out the groove with a toothbrush. Loads of crap came out and the scuttle panel clicked in nicely afterwards.

Reactions: hydro s3
Photo0163
Hi, I seem to have overcome the leak - This sheet of plastic has to be correctly placed and it has diverted the incoming water.

On the glass itself does that number and the dots indicate when it was manufactured (i.e. 9 ...... )
Looking around the car, the various window glass is made by the follwing manufactures: Splintex(windscreen + rear quarterlights), SIGLA(NS door), GUARDIAN(boot), SOLIVER (OS door)

Just an update - Windscreen was replaced everything fine now. The windscreen came with the channel and that fitted into the cowling (apart from the cowling had some broken plastic in the middle section).

We even discovered a manky old biro that had fallen down to the bottom of the windscreen :)

Its always looked like that(since I bought the car 2nd hand). Is that not right? The black plastic caps don't fit on the top either.

little bit off topic, but that last pic u posted, have your top mounts gone?

Last edited:
Its got uprated dampers (by previous owner) but I don't know what make without looking.

its just my mechanic said the mounts are shot if theres a gap under the top of the mount, mine are exactly the same as yours is why i was asking :)