water repellent

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I'm removing the rear wiper this weekend and after some advice on the best way to get the rear screen to repel water.

I got some cleaner, rainx, normal car body polish, wax and glass cleaner.

The instructions state clean screen and use rainx but is there any other hints or tips?

Clean the screen as best as you can with glass cleaner do it twice so you don't miss any bits then apply evenly as per manufacturers instructions.

To be honest tho there are better products out there, rain-x relies on movement to help drive the rain off. GTechniq make 2 versions of glass sealant, G3 and G4 from memory, G4 is designed for cars and well suited to the windscreen, the other one is for buildings but is excellent on side windows etc... Other bonus is it can last for 12 months between applications. If your getting GTechniq stuff by the G1 polish to get the best results

i use colonite 476 on my windows from time to time and that keeps it off.
also after washing, rinse, spray with demon shine, rinse and then dry with towels and water repellent all over ;)

demon shine is ridiculously cheap from halfords inn 5 litre bottles

Either of the Nanolex Glass Sealants will be ideal:

Urban has a run off speed of 20mph and a durability of up to 7,500miles from a single application. Nanolex Urban Glass Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products

Premium has a quoted run off of around 40mph (in my experience 35mph is correct) and massive durability of up to 25,000miles from a single application.
Nanolex Premium Glass Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products

I've tested both and the Urban's run off it amazing.

Through the winter, cleaned only with a pressure washer and All Purpose Cleaner (winter hack) and attacked with a scraper and de-icer, it's started to drop off a bit now. That's after 4months and temperatures as low as -18c.

Premium has been on my GTI since around September and shows no signs of degradation and the run off speed is even better than quoted.

:)

Nanolex is great but its extortion! I've my rear wiper removed and found rain-x to be spot on every time. re-apply every couple of months. cheap, tested and easy to apply!

Thanks all.
I dont have time to get any GTechniq, I'll stick with what I got and see how i get on.
If I'm not happy with it i'll get some GTechniq.

Nanolex is great but its extortion! I've my rear wiper removed and found rain-x to be spot on every time. re-apply every couple of months. cheap, tested and easy to apply!

Nanolex is more expensive initally, yes, but with up to 25,000 miles from one application, and at least four applications from the smallest bottle, at an average of 12,000miles per year that's over 8 years of protection!

Might be economically sound in the long term, but I sure as hell couldn't justify spending £22 water repellent when a £5 bottle of rain-x lasts ages and does its job well. Don't get me wrong, I'm comfortable spending £50+ on wax for the paint, but cant justify the same or even half for glass

I've got G1 on my windscreen and to be honest itsa the best move I made! I've ttried rainx but g1 repels more water and dirt than rainx and doesnt smear - whats the oin of a clean shiny car if you cant see clearly?

Thanks for the info all.

It seems like most of the application is done on the front.
any experiance of G1, nanolex or other, being used on the rear screen?

I've got G1 on my windscreen and to be honest itsa the best move I made! I've ttried rainx but g1 repels more water and dirt than rainx and doesnt smear - whats the oin of a clean shiny car if you cant see clearly?

With all due respect Rain X dosn't smear all leave any marks if you apply it and buff it off properly. Never had any probs with it.

Any one put Rain-x, G1 or other such products on their head lights?

How does polish/wax compair to Rain-x on glass?
Or rain-x and then waxing over the top?

Nanolex is ideal on rear windows: my wife's car has no rear wiper and Nanolex is by far the best rain repellent I've tried on it. I used to use Rain-X all the time: Nanolex blows it away.

It's also perfect on headlights.

I really don't recommend putting wax anywhere on glass - especially on a wiped screen as that's when smearing and greasiness will occur.