Weird clicking noise

Peter Metcalf

Monkey magic
Reaction score
Ive recently noticed a strange clicking noise what seems to be coming from the light switch, it lasts for about 5 minutes and is fairly loud, it's really pi....g me off, any ideas what it could be, before the hammer goes through it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if that's what it is I'll watch the key though to see if it's blinking, only notice it when the lights are on and like I say seems to be coming from the headlight switch mmmmmmm

Might be the auxiliary heater relay. Comes on and off until the car warms up.

I don't think I've got the auxiliary heater I don't think lol sorry to sound a bit dim

Don't know what car you have but I think all diesel A6 come with the supplementary heater (rather than auxiliary?). There should be a setting in the MMI for auto or off and comes on when the ambient temperature is low.

I've seen that in the mmi, setting it's set to Auto what actually does it do

It helps to heat up the engine as modern engines are so efficient they don't heat up quickly. Probably helps to improve mpg as well since the engine will get to operating temperature much faster.

Reactions: Peter Metcalf
So is the relay located behind the headlight switch A6c7 I never hear it in the day only at night when the headlights are on