Weird Noise Coming From S3

Hwke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m new to having an S3 after coming from a Polo GTI 6c a few months ago so please bear with us. Recently I have noticed a weird noise coming from what seems to be the rear of my car, it was very intermittent only happening every now and then but I could guarantee it would happen every time I would drive the car. I revved my car earlier when at a standstill earlier and heard the same exact noise and I have no idea what it could be. I’m leaning towards something Haldex/Diff related but I’m not sure. Although a slightly different set up my dad has a MK7.5 Golf R and it doesn’t make a noise anything like that. Any help would be appreciated!

Hard to tell,at first i thought it was a rattling exhaust baffle but the more i listen it sounds like a pump.

Have you had the haldex serviced lately?

Hard to tell,at first i thought it was a rattling exhaust baffle but the more i listen it sounds like a pump.

Have you had the haldex serviced lately?
The Haldex was serviced by Bath Audi on 25/11/19 at 23,449 miles by the previous owner. I’m currently sat at just under 30,000 and haven’t given the car a hard time at all.

I had a similar issue but not when parked. when driving I would hear that same whiney noise...though not as loud. Audi changed haldex and rear diff which fixed the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Haldex was serviced by Bath Audi on 25/11/19 at 23,449 miles by the previous owner. I’m currently sat at just under 30,000 and haven’t given the car a hard time at all.

Note that Audi will only have changed the oil, not cleaned the filter, they consider it unnecessary. I'd suggest that you get a local VAG indie to service it again - and make sure to ask that they clean the filter.

I had a similar issue but not when parked. when driving I would hear that same whiney noise...though not as loud. Audi changed haldex and rear diff which fixed the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, that’s not nice for my wallet to hear. In order for me to get a video of the noise I had to prepare the car as if I was about to launch it, otherwise it’s quite hard to film. It’s only really noticeable when getting on the power from a standstill (for literally like a second) and then the random times it tends to happen when the car is cold. Even with hearing it from a standstill it’s complete guess work.

Note that Audi will only have changed the oil, not cleaned the filter, they consider it unnecessary. I'd suggest that you get a local VAG indie to service it again - and make sure to ask that they clean the filter.
Yeah? That’s always a possibility. I’m a bit hesitant to spend £100 on something that might not fix the issue at all, that being said with Audi quoting me £70 for do a diagnostics for an hour and then £140 an hour there after it could be a bargain.

is it still under the warranty?
Unfortunately not. It’s a PFL S3 that was registered December 1st 2014, it did have an extended warranty on it until November 2018 however from what I can see with what I have access too it’s never missed a beat or had any warranty work done to it.

I took it up to a mate of a mate’s unit today and he took a look around, he thinks it could be down to the flaps in the exhaust. As in the video the car isn’t actually moving but the noise is being made whilst revved it could be a dodgy motor on the exhaust side of things. Looking at the car’s history it’s had the Haldex ‘serviced’ by Audi, if you can even call it a service, twice. Once in 2017 at 16,936mi and then the latest one in 2019 at 23,449mi. I appreciate the replies that you guys have given me, I’m really trying to get to the bottom of this.

I would agree it seems unlikely that its the haldex pump as the car isn't moving so I dont see why I would be trying to engage the rear wheels with a blip of the throttle