Well fellas I think the A3 might be going....

Mark_N

Reaction score
I am fairly set on a GTI and if one of the three stealers I'm waiting to hear back from with a price for my car gets anywhere near what I want for it, the A3 will be packing its bags come Jan.

The GTI is just FUN...simple as. The A3 is great but you just can't throw it around like you can with the Golf.

Would you lot do the same as me?

I tried the little GTI Turbo thing, and had to say NO.

Now im comparing with the 3.2 and i really hate Turbo Lag.

So its the A3 2.0 FSI S-Line vs the Golf GTI ???

i have taken the 3.2 DSG on the track and its a walk in the park, FANTASTIC CAR i cant belive people that want to Change ?

I can understand people Test driving a A3 2.0 and a Golf GTI and saying the GTI is better
but the GTI is in a different ball Park to the A3 3.2 V6 DSG Quattro S-Line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry for going OTT but i love my little A3 so much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Personally, No. But then I've not driven the GTI yet. I traded in my Mkiv GTI-T for the A3 because I couldn't justify the fuel costs any longer. Probably do about 20000-22000 miles a year and it was costing about £250-£300 a month on petrol.

Now I'm down to about £130 on an average month, sometimes less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the GTI is the only current MKV model that doesn't just look like a bland could be anything hatchback. I still prefer the shape of the mkiv.

That said, if I wasn't doing so many miles maybe I would have gone for it instead.

theres so many different reasons...

If i drove loads of miles per day in the A3 i would have opted for the 2.0 TDI DSG S-Line but i dont , ive had the 3.2 for 9 months now and nearly done 1500 miles
So Fuel economy dosent make a difference for me

[ QUOTE ]
I am fairly set on a GTI and if one of the three stealers I'm waiting to hear back from with a price for my car gets anywhere near what I want for it, the A3 will be packing its bags come Jan.

The GTI is just FUN...simple as. The A3 is great but you just can't throw it around like you can with the Golf.

Would you lot do the same as me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I would. I think our Sportback is a terrific car, but it's just so dull to drive hard, not helped by the 2.0TDI engine which, although brisk for day-to-day use, is no fun to thrash. If I had the money, I'd keep the Sportback for regular use, and have something petrol-powered for the weekends and those country-lane drives.

I've yet to test drive the GTI but I haven't ignored the glowing reception it's received from the motoring press. Turbocharging makes up for the torque missing from NA petrol engines, and it will just rev and rev.

Mark, i totally agree with you after 2 test drives, and it is awesome. Lovely handling and just looks stunning with that grill.

It will be on my shopping lists in around 2007 for the anniversary, but will have to get the Mrs a car sorted first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Good luck bud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Didn't like the one I drove and went for the 3.2 DSG S line instead.

going away from the brand a bit,i think ill go for a 3 series in a couple of years,i just dont like front drive transverse engined cars anymore,
the engines rock to much,and they dont feel as solid,strange i know ?

You'd better hope Chris Bangle has left BMW by then. I can't believe the collection of awkwardness he has created in his time there.

I've done the GTI thing and whilst I'm sure that its a cracking car, its not for me, the A3 is just what I wanted (its a 3.2 by the way) demure and understated. Attracts no attention either when its parked or being driven. I just know its going to be there when I get back to it. But I have a bucket load of refined performance when I need it.

But good luck, I hope you get the deal you are looking for....
STEVE......

Mark

Did you not consider the A3 2.0T as an alternative to the Golf? I've never driven the Golf so don't know how they differ (if at all) when they have the same engine. I was hooked on getting quattro again so didn't look at the Golf.

Doesn't seem very fair to compare a 2.0 A3 to the GTI, or the 3.2 V6 A3 to the GTI for that matter. Totally different dynamics.

I probably would,but the CO2 figures for the Gti are horrendous,so I'd pay more in tax for it than I would my A3.

Well you know what I'm going to say cos I did exactly that !

I loved my A3 but it didn't have the fun factor that the GTi offers, I'm sure the 3.2 offers equal fun but I couldn't live with the mpg. I had all the same reservations about differences in build quality, standard of plastics etc, but it doesn't matter one bit, its a great drive, looks amazing (IMO) and I have experienced no issues at all but most importantly It makes me grin from ear to ear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The chasis is superb and the damping seems superior to my A3 sports set up with none of the 'crashing' over pot holes etc, the wife is happy as the sports bra is no longer required /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not claiming its better than an A3 just a different car aimed at a different market, I would not even consider any of the other models in the Golf line up , in fact I was so impressed by my Audi, my wife's company car replacement early 2006 will be an A3 2.0TDI DSG Sportback, The A3 2.0Tdi is a great car for covering long distances, the GTi is a great car in which to drive purely for fun. Go for it Mark, you can always have another Audi in a few years time I know I probably will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
GTi004.jpg

GTi014.jpg

That is nice..
Is that the standard 17's or the optional 18's ??

Been doing some quick calcs,just out of curiosity

Golf Gti 5 door ( I need 5 doors ).
£20495.00 ( manual,never DSG again)
18 inch wheels £ 445.00
Centre armrest £ 115.00
Soundpack £ 675 ( like Bose ? )
Co2 192

So company car tax would be around £98.66 a month,as opposed to £76.91 for my A3.

Not a massive difference actually.

Very VERY tempting,especially given my lack of satisfaction with the build quality of my A3.

[ QUOTE ]

18 inch wheels £ 445.00
Centre armrest £ 115.00
Co2 192

So company car tax would be around £98.66 a month,as opposed to £76.91 for my A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey with just £20 difference perhaps I should tempt the Mrs into a his n' hers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But seriously though she will stick with diesel to avoid the regular fill ups as she covers @ 30k per year and she also prefers the A3.

Thanks for compliments, Japper is correct 18" - the only way to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

18 inch wheels £ 445.00
Centre armrest £ 115.00
Co2 192

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey with just £20 difference perhaps I should tempt the Mrs into a his n' hers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But seriously though she will stick with diesel to avoid the regular fill ups as she covers @ 30k per year and she also prefers the A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a few A3 diesel owners (myself included) are noting that their fuel economy on barely better than a petrol car,so maybe you should think again.
Check the mpg thread.
I'm lucky to get 40mpg.

bowfer, if you're lucky to get 40mpg from your A3 TDI, you'd be lucky to see 25+ with the GTI. On high annual mileage that's gonna hurt.

Also the build quality, rattles etc. are far worse on the golf than the A3. Take a look over on UK Mkiv's and they all moan about rattling windows, bad aligning doors etc. I also have two colleagues that have Mk5's and their experiences back this up.

Spin - That is the nicest Mk5 GTI I have seen, stunning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm lucky to get 40mpg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drive it differently then.

It'll give up 60+mpg on longish runs if you treat it right. Any car will deliver poor consumption if you cane it, the Audi does start to drop it's average quite early though (i.e. over 70mph) but it's no different really to my Golf TDI 115.

bowfer I have to agree with Japper mate, I would get 40mpg in my tdi s-line, on my usual runs. Those same runs return 48mpg in the A2 and only 22mpg in the Cabriolet.

I took out the 2.0T sportback and over 2 days it returned 26mpg using it normally.

Gizze, same here I used to get 40 mpg as an average but could achieve 49 mpg on a long run.

The GTi does 26 mpg around town but is a lot better on A roads where 34mpg is easily achieved even with fast progress /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. There is no getting away from the fact that if you have economy in mind diesel is the only way but then again if you have a fully expensed car which I'm assuming Bowfer has who cares /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Also the build quality, rattles etc. are far worse on the golf than the A3. Take a look over on UK Mkiv's and they all moan about rattling windows, bad aligning doors etc. I also have two colleagues that have Mk5's and their experiences back this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kindof my point though Japper.
I'd sort of expect them in a VW,well not 'expect' them but I wouldn't be surprised by them.
I don't expect them in an Audi,but I'm ****** well getting them.

What I'm trying to say is that if build quality is not Audi's forte any more,then maybe I'm as well having a cheaper,but quicker,car instead.

I was a little concerned prior to ordering the GTi about general build quality as I too use mkivs forum but I am pleased to report I've got no rattles or any build quality issues, one thing to remember is we all take time to slate our cars if we detect faults but rarely bother to mention incidentals like " No rattles" I feel for you Bowfer as I know how much it can 'P' you off when your car is not quite right , probably unusual for a 'premium' car like an Audi though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I haven't really thought much about the 2.0T A3 - the price for starters is 5K (Euro) more than the GTI's starting price.

I'm not sure the drive would be as raw as the GTI either.

Had no idea the price differential was so much. You probably get more extras included as standard in the Golf too.

Can't speak from experience but I'm not sure in theory about the raw-ness difference between them - the Sportback is a bit bigger, and the quattro will make a difference to the handling in terms of weight too I suspect, but they are based on the same platform I thought.

I wonder whether its the "GTI" mind-trick that makes the Golf more appealing to some. As others have said, the A3 is more under-stated and... dare I say it... perhaps more grown up.

Can anyone else report on the A3/Golf comparison - where the models have been tested with the same engine...?

For example...

Last night I caned my A3 (which is remapped) up a small tight road at about 80mph...it was great fun.

BUT! I had to cane it to get that feeling of fun going on..

Earlier in the day I was test driving a GTI, slowing down behind someone who was turning off, I left it in 3rd and just let it pull all the way and it hugged a tight bend and I had to 'control' it a bit more than I would with the A3..

The overall feeling is just a more planted one and you get the impression that this car likes to go fast.

Out of interest.
Anyone know if the DSG gearbox does the 'auto change up' in the Gti ??

thats a good question bowfer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To add to this, in this weeks autocar, the head of VAG group ( ie the boss of audi) says why would you buy an audi over a vw or skoda, it's image only, parts are basically the same. Audi owners just pay more for the privelege,

A3 2.0T with quattro does about 5 miles or so less to every gallon than the gti, A3 sport is a worse ride than the GTI, firmer and less refined. Go drive a GTI, and then decide whihc is more grown up

[ QUOTE ]
To add to this, in this weeks autocar, the head of VAG group ( ie the boss of audi) says why would you buy an audi over a vw or skoda, it's image only, parts are basically the same. Audi owners just pay more for the privelege.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got the exact text for this, would be interested in reading it?

[ QUOTE ]
To add to this, in this weeks autocar, the head of VAG group ( ie the boss of audi) says why would you buy an audi over a vw or skoda, it's image only, parts are basically the same. Audi owners just pay more for the privelege,

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with everything though isn't it?

why buy an x-type over a mondeo?

why buy a rolex over a casio?

why buy a pair of diesel jeans when asda do a pair for £9.99?

why buy coke when you can get rola-cola?

They all do the same job, and they all use basically the same thing, but, they all do it different enough to justify the extra cost.

I've asked for a test drive of a DSG Gti,just to see if it does change-up for you in manual mode,a la Audi.
Be interesting to see if VW deem the software should be different.

[ QUOTE ]
A3 2.0T with quattro does about 5 miles or so less to every gallon than the gti, A3 sport is a worse ride than the GTI, firmer and less refined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the quattro is a non-negotiable for me so guess I'm stuck with the larger fuel bill. I probably agree with the firm ride though. A typical Audi problem.

Also not sure about the "premium" that is supposedly paid for the Audi. I was under the impression that whilst there may be up to £2k difference between the list prices, it is difficult to get a VW dealer to discount a GTI (certainly online anyway) whereas discounts of up to £2.5k are available from Audi.

For me I wanted a premium hatchback with 4 wheel drive and auto so there wasn't much choice really and what a great car that 3.2 is. If i was going 2 wheel drive and manual I would take a serious look at the 130i, may not look great but boy will that move!