'Wellycooler' fitting

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
As I have been getting a lot of PM questions about these - thought it might be worth listing what is needed in a thread just about this particular cooler.

For this fitting method you will HAVE to remove fog lights, and is for engines with inlet manifold with TB on the right hand side, and charge pipe layout as per the S3.

Intercooler specs are 600 x 300 x 76mm.

Piping needed:

2 x 90 degree 76mm hard pipes with beaded ends.
2 x 90 degree 76mm silicone elbows in your choice of colour - these will need adjusting to length during fitting.
2 x 90 degree 76 - 63mm reducing silicone elbows in your choice of colour.
2 x 63mm alloy joiners.
2 x 76mm alloy joiners.
1 x 76mm 250mm length of straight silicone hose in your choice of colour. This needs to be cut into 2 lengths of 125mm to go on the end tanks of the cooler.
10 x 70 - 90mm jubilee clips
2 x 50 - 70mm jubilee clips.

Hope that clears things up...

Last edited:
What would make thie even better would be link's to the parts

Pretty please :beerchug:

Marcus

Marcus, didn't I give you a full write up on how to install it on an A3 with links to all the parts you needed as well?

Wellys guide is useless for you on your A3, as the pipes are totally different!

Can you add this to the FMIC sticky please mate and then link to it here? keeps it in one place :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>

Marcus, didn't I give you a full write up on how to install it on an A3 with links to all the parts you needed as well?

Its not for me Mr. Prawn....purely for the general public.

You guide is printed off at home / on top of the xbox / and ready for ordering. :kiss:

Reactions: Den8
Its not for me Mr. Prawn....purely for the general public.

You guide is printed off at home / on top of the xbox / and ready for ordering. :kiss:

That's OK then :p that took me ****** ages to write! haha.

Long live the Wellycooler and all who bask in it's icy cold IAT goodness!

I did put that it was for right handed TBs, but I guess it's the charge pipe! lol

Can you add this to the FMIC sticky please mate and then link to it here? keeps it in one place :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>

I have copied and pasted it in there dude.

That's OK then :p that took me ****** ages to write! haha.

Long live the Wellycooler and all who bask in it's icy cold IAT goodness!

You heading to this meet in Beaulieu or however the **** it's spelt

I did put that it was for right handed TBs, but I guess it's the charge pipe! lol

[/QUOTE

I know dude, A3 routing is totally different sadly, different charge pipe, different side on the TB. only bit that can remain the same is your hot side pipes from the core to the headlight become the A3 cold side pipes, routing from the turbo to IC is 100% different though.

It's also worth pointing out that if you follow Westy or Sports tractors pipe runs, you can keep your fogs on an S3 :)

You heading to this meet in Beaulieu or however the **** it's spelt

I could do I guess! when is it? in aid of what? not got the track car back yet, so I'm unsure :(

Welly im looking at doign this the same way Sportstractor has.

With 76 - 63mm reducers from intercooler, joining on to 90 degree alloy bends then 90 degree silicone bends connecting up. (plus i have one length of alloy joiner.

10 x 50 - 70 mikalors

and 2 x 70 - 90 Mikalors.

Do you think I could use the cheaper Jubilees?

Welly im looking at doign this the same way Sportstractor has.

With 76 - 63mm reducers from intercooler, joining on to 90 degree alloy bends then 90 degree silicone bends connecting up. (plus i have one length of alloy joiner.

10 x 50 - 70 mikalors

and 2 x 70 - 90 Mikalors.

Do you think I could use the cheaper Jubilees?

Use JCS Hi-Grips rather than T-Bolt clamps....

<tuffty/>

Whats the advantage to JCS High Grips Tuffty?

In the context of std Jubilees they go tighter before the click of death but you get better feel for how tight they are before they go... if you see what I mean...

In context of T-Bolt/Mikalor clips... these clips have not feel for how tight they are... all the ones I have seen are under tightened giving boost leaks or over tightened crushing pipes and subsequently giving boost leaks... not a real fan...

I use nothing but JCS Hi-Grips at Bills and use them on my own car thats been pressure tested to over 2bar...

One thing to note... if you get the click of death tightening a Jubilee style clip then bin it... end... :)

<tuffty/>

Couldn't agree more here, JCS Hi-grip stainless clamps on EVERYTHING.

You can get Zinc coated ones for a fraction of the cost, but stainless is the way forwards.

HATE T-bar clamps

Another vote for JCS hi grips. Well good innit

Can u not mod and re fit the fogs on this install?

i managed to keep the fogs with the same cooler, not sure what i did different though.

Anybody after more photos, heres an album i put together of my install

FMIC pictures by rsvan2000 - Photobucket

:superman:

The thing to remember is there is keeping the foglights and keeping the foglights and the grilles for the OEM look...

IIRC you did indeed keep the foglights but at the expense of the grilles... with the AH cooler I kept both...

Obviously its personal choice vs expense etc at the end of the day... :)

In fairness to him, before sportstractor did his then it was believed it was near impossible to keep fogs with a Welly cooler...

<tuffty/>

Yep there is no chance of keeping the grills with this cooler, the outlets are far too big. I was thinking of trying to mount the fog surround part of the grill, not sure how it would look though

im seriously thinking of buying a wellycooler, so much bigger than my apexi cooler and cheap.

60-80mm for the 63mm pipe and 70-90 for 76mm?

Just noticed this, you'll need 60-80's mate, 63mm pipe, 5 mm wall thickness on decent silicon, x2 is 73mm. I used 60-80's and they were perfect

60-80mm for the 63mm pipe and 70-90 for 76mm?

Yup :)

because the joiner is 63mm internal, with 5mm thick silicon, the OD is 73mm, and the 50-70's are just too tight!

Same for 76mm joints, add in the silicon and it's 86mm OD, so 70-90 clips needed

In march I'm going to install the new S3 intercooler... It's expensive but I can keep the fog lights. The problem with wellycooler it's the MOT here in Portugal

i fitted my wellycooler last night, what a beast :) to say im pleased with it is a total understatement.

this is the cooler up against my 42" tv

now fitted, no easy task like my old fmic but worth the extra effort

now for the exciting bit.

i did a run with my old apexi cooler a few weeks back when it was freezing.

here is my peak torque, out side temps were -4c

now here is a run i did today, outside temps were 11c

i gained 15ftlb on a 15c warmer day :) how good is that. intake temps stay below 20c all day. im very very pleased. Bill i hope you read this as i might need to turn boost down even more lol

Reactions: limbo118118
Very good.

Although your cooler looks slightly diff to my welly cooler lol.

Nice mate iv just bought one too cannot wait to fit iv got liquid gauge as well so see what my Reading say to my set up on standered map

toyo sports. the only down side is the main fixings are on the under side of the cooler, there is one fixing point on the top

Ooh ******, sod it, ive bought mine now, cant be bothered buying another lol.

i used some big brackets and still mounted it above the cooler. would have been much easier if the fixings were on top, but i do prefer having the correct size inlets, nothing wrong with 3" inlets just means using reducers.