went out to do the garden this afternoon , but ended up messing around with the car.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well after yesterdays total wash out I thought I have a go at the garden this afternoon...sun was out and just too nice to be messing around with the garden so decided to experiment with different wheel colours instead....

I've been looking into alternative colours for a while now and had a few odd paints in the garage so just went for it.
I used my spare , spare wheel ( I have two spares ) as it had no tyre on ....have a look , any feedback would be helpful.
In a mad way I kinda like it , its not as dark as some and certainly has a different look about it, I did a third of the wheel first to see if I was worth going further, and yes it seems to be so i'm currently doing the whole wheel now to see what the result will look like , hopefully just a good .

rob
Rimq1
Rimq2
Rimq3
Rimq4

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, THQuattro and dubcool.pc
That colour looks very very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dubcool.pc
so a whole wheel done in first base coat, one pic In bright light and the other in overcast light, both still work for me, a couple more coats and some decent lacquer and it should look about right, nor sure on the centre caps though should I do them too or leave them to breakup the solid colour.

Grey1
Grey2

Reactions: THQuattro
Spot on colour that, I need to sort mine out as too dark when overcast - this colour looks fine though.

Personally I would do the centre but leave silver ring. Here's when I did the same to my previous TT

d475271dd2241450a4050e68e1249808.jpg

This colour was good against the black

I would leave them as is the grey breaks up the solid colour

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

well looks like back to the drawing board , great colour but not right in the end when fitted......
supposed to be Iron grey but looks like too much blue in it.

Grey4

one of those colours that varies with the light and picture angle.

Grey5

Lighter will be spot on! Love the wheels as well - I'm currently in decision mode over wheels.

You thought of the BMW colour - ferric grey

I've just located a set of A8 20" alloys 8.5j so probably going to go with them now if i can get them for the right price and sell the current 9 spoke 19" I have fitted at present , the A8's are same pattern as the 19" ,just nicer....same as in this pic, but i'll still have the colour issues to sort out whatever set I have.

A412

Reactions: CountryGent, Tyrer, Alex Ward and 1 other person
I've just located a set of A8 20" alloys 8.5j so probably going to go with them now if i can get them for the right price and sell the current 9 spoke 19" I have fitted at present , the A8's are same pattern as the 19" ,just nicer....same as in this pic, but i'll still have the colour issues to sort out whatever set I have.

View attachment 133441
you sure 20" will fit with you being low Rob will look ace if they do as iwant them off the a8 but only sets i find are silly money and im way to low for 20"

will be allmost exactly the same martin, instead of being 235/35 19 it will be 235/30 20" almost spot on compared to the 19" prob about 1mm difference .

A8's in a different finish , I think I prefer the polished finish on the black avant over the blue S4.

S4

Reactions: Tyrer
Yes!!!! These will look very nice if you can get it sitting perfect - you going to space them??

Any 19s going spare

if I can get this deal on the 20's mine will be for sale with decent rubber fitter.

Yes!!!! These will look very nice if you can get it sitting perfect - you going to space them??

Any 19s going spare

yes they will need a small amount of spacing for my liking as the set I have seen are ET45 on an 8.5j so i'd probably just add some thins to get them to an equivalent ET35, so et45 on an 8.5j will be close to an ET39 as far as poke goes , something around the 5mm front and rear may suffice.

right then, done a deal and secured a full set of 5 20" 8.5j ET45 , A8 9 spoke alloys.
Now just need to do a round trip of 2oo miles to pick them up , then get them tidied up, and organise 4 new tyres......oh deary me , what have I started now....oh and some spacers .....
But it will all work out in the end , well I hope so..

Reactions: crazy88, TheTomCutler and Tyrer
right then, done a deal and secured a full set of 5 20" 8.5j ET45 , A8 9 spoke alloys.
Now just need to do a round trip of 2oo miles to pick them up , then get them tidied up, and organise 4 new tyres......oh deary me , what have I started now....oh and some spacers .....
But it will all work out in the end , well I hope so..
You lucky sod i been looking for ages for a set that cost less than a car not that they will fit for me cant wait to see them.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

if you saw them now martin you might ask yourself, do I really want them in that condition.....but at the right price they are worth getting, especially as the 8.5j's are much harder to find, a fair few of the 9j's around and also bonkers money, dare I put up a pic before they are refurbed....erm.....nope.

Reactions: TheTomCutler
Good work mate - if it's all cosmetic who cares! If they are all straight and true you have a rare thing indeed.

Next question is when they getting a test fit

next step is to make sure they will actually fit the old bus.....been here before..lol
so based on the original oem spec rims that were 18" et43 8j with 235/40 18 tyres here are the calculation in case someone else need to know.

best option is to stay with 235 tyres but with a 30 profile , add 5mm spacers to F & R with the 20" 8.5j et45 rims , this comes out at with almost spot on spec, the overall rim diameter has increased by only 4mm , and speedo is only .4 more at 60.4 , see attached diagram for all the relavant dimensions, scrub is only 2mm difference which is nothing.

the other option is 225/35 but overall rim dia increases more with this option and other specs change more.
By adding 5mm spacers that makes the rims an ET40 , but as they are a 8.5 to start with add another 6mm on the poke so effectively around the ET35 for poke purposes.

And i thought for a minute you had more wheels Rob :smiley:
in one of your photos it looks blue,

I think I may have been having colour blind moment .....lol, I was sure they started out dark grey...doh.

greys will do that against a black car. Most have a tinge of some other color, be it green/brown/blue/red and that tends to really stand out when placed against a solid black car.

On my old black car, i went with a bronze color on the wheels instead, which worked really well.

I used Landrover Nara Bronze, and i've used BMW Sepang Bronze before as well. Unfortunately i dont have any photos of it :(

Can't remember exactly what I had but pretty sure you'll need at least a 10mm spacer to clear 18zs with the A8s.

what are your thoughts on tire size chap, 225/35 or 235/30 the latter is closer to factory specs but I think the 225/35 will be a bit smoother.

225/35 will be a difference in diameter of 3.26% with an actual diameter change of 21mm over the 235/40/18 you were originally on. The 235/35/19's you had on are only a minute difference in size as is the 235/30/20.

You should really only go 2.5% +/- at the most or the speedo will be out more and you will lose some acceleration with going a larger circumference.

Oh and they'll look like tractor tyres :)