What an average... (mpg)

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
I couldn't believe my eyes this morning on the drive to work (23 miles from home) when I caught a glimps of my DIS [1] which said I had averaged of 60mpg as I was leaving the motorway, this dropped to 56.9 as I reached work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif This has to be the highest average I've seen from my motor since I brought it back in March 05. If it keeps this up the less than 1/4 of a tank I have of diesel will last me weeks!! A full tank could last months! So much for the fuel crisis get an Audi Deisel.... saying this it'll probably let me down on the drive home and average 38-46mpg which is the norm!

Eeef you were right keep it under 70mph on the motorway and you reep the rewards.... you da man!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Eeef you were right keep it under 70mph on the motorway and you reep the rewards.... you da man!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tedious to start with, but rather than becoming obsessed with how long it takes to get somewhere, or how fast you can go, it's mpg that's the new cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Plus, when you do cane it later, the car feels uber fast again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to try this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did... Bored me to tears. I'll live with 45mpg thanx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif it's still 27 more than my previous 2.6 V6!!

ok, dont feel too bad now, playing around with doing an entire journey below 2000 revs the other day, how sad is that!!

0-60 came up in about 12 seconds..

somewhat tedious, but given the normal M27 commuter traffic, keeping below this was easy, and great for fuel.. still need a blast every now and then though!

So try it - keep your revs below 2k no matter what, and see what yours can do!!

Hey, I have a great idea... if economy is 'the thing', go and buy a 1.1 Nissan and save even more on fuel bills!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But seriously, listen to yourselves! You'll be saving your bottle-tops next and collecting for the local nursing home!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I have to say, although I like to get good mpg just like the next person I also like to drive without having to think about it.

I will be honest, although I earn good money I like to spend it on other things than fuel, that is why I love diesels, 40+mpg without having to think about it.

I guess it depends how much you spend on fuel each month, if I only did a couple of hundred miles a week I wouldn't care, but when you do 4-500 miles it starts to mount up.

But c'mon lads anything over 40mpg must be OK? why not enjoy the car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

..i think i average about 43 mpg in my A3 1.9 TDi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

then again i very rarely drive it normally, wherez the fun in that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

i found this i got 32mpg from 2.7t keeping less than 70mph will have to try harder to do this daily

I noticed I had done 32mpg yesterday, but that was because I was balancing 100 egg boxes on the roof, with a bad tempered mother-in-law in the back seat, seeping blisters on my right foot and driving across deep sand.

Actually, it was just slow traffic on the way to Tescos... phhh, I'd rather starve!

Heh, tell it like it is slimbloke. Life's too short to worry about mpg - especially when you drive a Mauritius Blue Hydrocarbon Destruction Device
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I suspect gallons per mile might be a more useful measure the way I'm going...

I have seen..... dare i say it, 50 mpg out of my 2.0FSI!! This involved going no faster than 60mph on a trip to cambridge from kent..... It was boring but very fuel efficent!! Not bad for a petrol i thought!!

Just managed to get an average of 74mpg from Herts to Southampton. It is mostly Motorway at 60mph. Never normally see above 45mpg!!

Why .................... ?

Get a 3.2 and enjoy the sheer performance.

[ QUOTE ]
Just managed to get an average of 74mpg from Herts to Southampton. It is mostly Motorway at 60mph. Never normally see above 45mpg!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realise that the speed limit is 70mph and doing 60mph p*sses everyone off, badly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Is it really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Didn't think the 3 people in the outside lane on the m3 at 12am cared too much.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Didn't think the 3 people in the outside lane on the m3 at 12am cared too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also I thought that 70 was the legal MAXIMUM ...........?