What are the chance of...

kaz219

Reaction score
...the broken bits of a blown turbo going into the engine on a 2.0 TDI ?

Got the turbo off and the bearings have completely colapsed (Will get some pics up later).

The propelor does look complete (bit bent) but was wondering what are the chances of the debris getting into the engine if it had smashed to pieces?

When the turbo blew, I turned the car off straight away and its not been driven/started untill the mechanic double checked it yesterday and it was running a bit rough.

the intercooler will be drained completely, intercooler pipes cleaned out (turbo to intercooler pipe is being fitted with a new one), new oil and oil filter to make sure if there is anything into the oil, it wont get into the engine.

Anyone got any ideas on my initial question?

Cheers

EDIT: Could a mod please put a "S" at the end of "chance" so it reads chances in the thread title. Thanks :D

i can imagine the chances are quite high, all depends on the size of the debris? if it was a big piece, you may have felt/heard it, or it could have got stuck in some of the pipe work. if debris did manage to work its way in, then it could have caused a lot of damage to the valves, cylinder, piston, injectors and spark plugs. you would feel if any damage was caused to any of these components.

the garage $aid it ju$t need$ a turbo and if it ha$nt been driven, i $hould be ok. the mechanic $aid he'$ 95% $ure it$ ju$t the turbo.

i $hould have her back in the evening $o im praying away :D

$orry about the "$" in$tead of an "e$" - it$ broke on this laptop and only work$ if i hold it for fifty$ hour$ lol :D

I had a blown turbo on my 1.9Tdi. At the same time I had a problem in the cylinder head (I think that's what it's called, excuse my english terminology). Ηοwever, mine was driven to the garage (after their own recommendation). I suspect that driving it is what caused most of the damage to my car.

it$ not been driven $o that give$ me hope :D

Hello kaz your on here also,this not sorted then yet? if they do the work correctly and change the feed pipe etc there should be no issue of any other problems,oil change + filter,intercooler etc flushed out

Hello kaz your on here also,this not sorted then yet? if they do the work correctly and change the feed pipe etc there should be no issue of any other problems,oil change + filter,intercooler etc flushed out

Hi mate - yes, i seem to be on a lot of forums lol

and no - been busy and the cars been parked up but should be sorted today!

They're doing the above so that gives me hope :D

Will report back later :D

EDIT: Fixed the "S" but i dont have the key on the left of number 1 now :D lol

I wondered why you were speaking in code,hope alls well and yeah let us know how you get on

As long as you haven't driven the car it should be fine. From what you described about the remains of your turbo, sound exactly what my turbo looked like when it went pop. Once the intercooler/pipes are cleaned and oil changed, you should br good to go.

Update - it wont start as the batterys knackered!

it was showing 5.8v so its on a trickle charger and hopefully, tommorrow morning will be the moment of truth either with the current battery or a new one :D

Interesting thread! What is the outcome?