What bulb type used for ABS etc in dashboard / speedo?

lincoln_dj

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what type of bulbs are used for ABS, ESP, check engine etc.

Have took a punt on a cheap car (not the blue S3 lol) and some of the bulbs don't light up when turning the ignition on. I know for a fact some should remain on as it beeps at me and VCDS throws up an ABS fault (wheel speed sensor), and should probably also have the steering wheel bulb on too (can't complete steering angle cal).

Hoping to find out so I'm not taking my dash apart twice (having to put it all back because I dont have the right bulbs to hand)

Cheers in advance

They are SMD leds very tiny. I bet someone has put blue tack or the like in between the led and the dials to stop you from seeing the issues.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've just looked at how to remove the cluster and it's only a 2 minute job, so will have a look in a bit

Reactions: bronco and LEE69
They are SMD leds very tiny. I bet someone has put blue tack or the like in between the led and the dials to stop you from seeing the issues.

Just in case you wondered... found FOUR bulbs covered up with blu-tac - looks like the car was cheap for a few reasons!

Reactions: LEE69
Thanks for the quick reply. I've just looked at how to remove the cluster and it's only a 2 minute job, so will have a look in a bit
Hi, just wondering, how did you remove the cluster? Got any pics, links ?

Thanks,

Hi, just wondering, how did you remove the cluster? Got any pics, links ?

Thanks,
Hi mate,

no photos but it was real easy. The small section above the steering wheel but below the cluster just pulls off. then you'll see a couple of screws for the cluster. And thats it! Might need to lower the steering wheel to pull it out.

Reactions: bronco
Hi mate,

no photos but it was real easy. The small section above the steering wheel but below the cluster just pulls off. then you'll see a couple of screws for the cluster. And thats it! Might need to lower the steering wheel to pull it out.

Great, thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk