What can I do with my VIN number?

mxnrg

Reaction score
My SQ5 has left the factory and I now have a VIN number from the myAudi JSON extract. While I twiddle my thumbs waiting for 7000 nautical miles of transatlantic shipping to crawl by, any hints on fun things I can do with the VIN???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe you could open a MyAudi account. It will likely ask for the VIN. Or install OBDeleven on to your android phone, enter the VIN and see what tweaks you could do to your car. And every day you can get 6 free crdits, so when your car arrives you should have enough to make any tweaks - normally 10 per change.

Reactions: NevMan and DieselJake
One thing that you could do, if you feel it would keep/make you happy is, get your supplying Audi dealer to tell you the name of the transporter ship, with that information, get on to one of the "ship movements" sites and track its position daily, from these sites you should be able to get that ship's route and you can even, if you can be bothered, check its movements when it is in ports.

Now, some/most people might find that very boring, but as other people were doing it when my wife's 5 door Polo was transiting from South Africa, I thought it might be a laugh, so I spent many hours trying to find it, this was prior to my dealer getting back to me with the ship's name! So, I made a bit of a mistake as it "turned left" after leaving South Africa and came to UK via some Arabian countries then the Suez canal - I had expected it to "turn right" and "go round the cape"!! By the time I was given the correct ship's name, it was off the East coast of UK - completely gutted, a failed mission!

Reactions: NevMan, Corb2000, Ghost and 1 other person
Maybe you could open a MyAudi account. It will likely ask for the VIN. Or install OBDeleven on to your android phone, enter the VIN and see what tweaks you could do to your car. And every day you can get 6 free crdits, so when your car arrives you should have enough to make any tweaks - normally 10 per change.

I have a myAudi account based on my order number, so the car is already logically assigned to my account.

I don't currently have an Android phone, will check out the software you suggested.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

One thing that you could do, if you feel it would keep/make you happy is, get your supplying Audi dealer to tell you the name of the transporter ship, with that information, get on to one of the "ship movements" sites and track its position daily, from these sites you should be able to get that ship's route and you can even, if you can be bothered, check its movements when it is in ports.

Now, some/most people might find that very boring, but as other people were doing it when my wife's 5 door Polo was transiting from South Africa, I thought it might be a laugh, so I spent many hours trying to find it, this was prior to my dealer getting back to me with the ship's name! So, I made a bit of a mistake as it "turned left" after leaving South Africa and came to UK via some Arabian countries then the Suez canal - I had expected it to "turn right" and "go round the cape"!! By the time I was given the correct ship's name, it was off the East coast of UK - completely gutted, a failed mission!

I'm ahead of you on tracking shipping from Mexico:

How long on average from Mexico to Germany
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh.../page__view__findpost__p__455434&share_type=t

Didn't know I could get the ship name from the dealer... I'm 99% sure it'll be one of two ships based on the (in)frequency of VAG transports from Mexico. Thanks for the tip!

I'm a geek so this stuff is right up my street. I lime your story for the fact you were tracking a ship taking longer than the one your car was on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: NevMan