What Car Care / Detailing Have You Done Today ?

@Moon I’m a huge fan of KKD’s citrus magic. It’s around £10 for 500ml and can be diluted up to 100:1, most things I’ve read suggest stronger but I’ve always done 100:1 as that’s the max it says on the side of the bottle (15ml in my 1.5l pump sprayer) and it’s always done a really good job. Very rarely have any significant amounts of dirt in my rinse bucket. I’ve tried Valetpro too and it also does a really good job but just not as effective in my opinion, I’m sure either would do a good job with a bit trial and error with the dilutions.

@Bulldog - Renault looking fab buddy. Great work !
No interior shots ... ;):D

At nearly 3k miles & it’s still clean.

2c6cd9fd0477e5202c11af52d6297a85.jpg

99207531763ff6c7287316944a892b84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Drove to Lincolnshire and back today, so 4+ hours in the car and spent a lot of time thinking what a well-rounded car the Sportback S3 is. IF you understand what it is. If you're wanting it to be a track ripping, super focused hot-hatch with sharp as a pin reflexes, then you'll likely be missing the point. BUT if you think of it as an extremely quick and capable all-rounder that can turn itself to any situation with aplomb then you're starting to 'get it'.

When I got home (early start, early back) I felt relaxed - fresh as a ruddy daisy. The S3 chewed up hundreds of motorway miles, quickly and calmly. I won't incriminate myself any more than that - I drove to the conditions with full awareness of what was happening around me (and with heightened look-outs for Deer @X3man - glad to hear you're ok buddy, not liking that post :blink:) and with ample+ braking distance to the car in front. Careful, but spirited driving and it reminded me what a great understated mile-muncher the car is. I even got over 30 mpg, lol. The cabin is a very comfortable and nice place to be - and the B&O sound system was enjoyed :rockwoot:

After the journey the car was proper 'filth' - so I gave it the quick winter once over. Pre-wash with BH Auto (snow) Foam, then shampoo'ed with Auto-Glym Polar Wash - applied with a snow foam lance, then just one rinse bucket to dunk my wash pad into. Good winter process this, for a quick wash, just cover the car in thick snow foam suds, and then run around it with your wash pad/mitt, rinsing the mitt frequently. The Polar Wash wasn't as good at 'cleaning' as BH Auto Wash IMO, and the foam hangs around on the drive for a bit (behind the car in this photo), but a good winter wash solution. Finished off with Turtle Wax Rinse and Dry (wet coat product, the blue one - spray on, rinse off, then dry with a towel - VERY hydrophobic and glossy). Didn't do the interior and didn't top with a quick detailer. I really couldn't be @rsed today. But I did dress the tyres. Always dress the tyres. Spent an hour and a half on it (including getting all the kit out and packing away again). Not a 'detail'.

IMG 1083

The reason for my road trip? Well, the kids are a bit older now, and life was starting to feel a bit too ordered, so we need to introduce a bit of chaos to the household and mess up our routine a bit. So this little chap will be joining our family on the 27th December (not a Christmas present, just coincides with the time of year, lots of thought has gone into this decision!). Introducing Rocco (expecting a 'like' from @MattSedg , lol) ...

IMG 1884

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonnie, S32B, josul and 6 others
Drove to Lincolnshire and back today, so 4+ hours in the car and spent a lot of time thinking what a well-rounded car the Sportback S3 is. IF you understand what it is. If you're wanting it to be a track ripping, super focused hot-hatch with sharp as a pin reflexes, then you'll likely be missing the point. BUT if you think of it as an extremely quick and capable all-rounder that can turn itself to any situation with aplomb then you're starting to 'get it'.

When I got home (early start, early back) I felt relaxed - fresh as a ruddy daisy. The S3 chewed up hundreds of motorway miles, quickly and calmly. I won't incriminate myself any more than that - I drove to the conditions with full awareness of what was happening around me (and with heightened look-outs for Deer @X3man - glad to hear you're ok buddy, not liking that post :blink:) and with ample+ braking distance to the car in front. Careful, but spirited driving and it reminded me what a great understated mile-muncher the car is. I even got over 30 mpg, lol. The cabin is a very comfortable and nice place to be - and the B&O sound system was enjoyed :rockwoot:

After the journey the car was proper 'filth' - so I gave it the quick winter once over. Pre-wash with BH Auto (snow) Foam, then shampoo'ed with Auto-Glym Polar Wash - applied with a snow foam lance, then just one rinse bucket to dunk my wash pad into. Good winter process this, for a quick wash, just cover the car in thick snow foam suds, and then run around it with your wash pad/mitt, rinsing the mitt frequently. The Polar Wash wasn't as good at 'cleaning' as BH Auto Wash IMO, and the foam hangs around on the drive for a bit (behind the car in this photo), but a good winter wash solution. Finished off with Turtle Wax Rinse and Dry (wet coat product, the blue one - spray on, rinse off, then dry with a towel - VERY hydrophobic and glossy). Didn't do the interior and didn't top with a quick detailer. I really couldn't be @rsed today. But I did dress the tyres. Always dress the tyres. Spent an hour and a half on it (including getting all the kit out and packing away again). Not a 'detail'.

View attachment 194813

The reason for my road trip? Well, the kids are a bit older now, and life was starting to feel a bit too ordered, so we need to introduce a bit of chaos to the household and mess up our routine a bit. So this little chap will be joining our family on the 27th December (not a Christmas present, just coincides with the time of year, lots of thought has gone into this decision!). Introducing Rocco (expecting a 'like' from @MattSedg , lol) ...

View attachment 194812
@Jimbob76 - Interesting thoughts on your S3 - Thanks for sharing buddy

'Tis that time of year when car cleaning/detailing can be a bit of a challenge. But hey, we all love it, honest lol

Loving the addition to the family - look foreword to more pics

Reactions: Scotty75 and Jimbob76
I've not been around here for a long while ....... Numerous reasons....... Any ho......

@jimbo76
The S3 is l looking spankingly good and also like to say that is one gorgeous looking dog

A3 had been in for somewhat of an overhaul ....... Story for another time .

Reactions: Jimbob76
I've not been around here for a long while ....... Numerous reasons....... Any ho......

@jimbo76
The S3 is l looking spankingly good and also like to say that is one gorgeous looking dog

A3 had been in for somewhat of an overhaul ....... Story for another time .

Good to hear from you buster - like you I’ve been a bit low key on here recently. Welcome back, and don’t be a stranger pal. These winter months certainly suck the fun out of detailing. Tell your ‘story for another time’ bud...

I’m just watching Ronin on Netflix. What a boss film. 1998 - think this (and Layer Cake) influenced my Audi obsession, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotty75
Good to hear from you buster - like you I’ve been a bit low key on here recently. Welcome back, and don’t be a stranger pal. These winter months certainly suck the fun out of detailing. Tell your ‘story for another time’ bud...

I’m just watching Ronin on Netflix. What a boss film. 1998 - think this (and Layer Cake) influenced my Audi obsession, lol.
Both top films mate enjoy . I'll soul the story in due course

@Jimbob76 nice write up and totally agree with your thoughts on the S3 :icon thumright:. Congrats on the new addition to the family - certainly fun times ahead!

View attachment 194813

View attachment 194812

As always a very thorough and interesting write up @Jimbob76.

Oh, and I like the idea of a bit of chaos as it gets too monotonous otherwise!

View attachment 194813

View attachment 194812

LOVE your write ups mate, and great tips on the winter wash routine. As it happens, I have the polar snow, but just this week got the wash and seal for just this scenario (winter wash).

Glad you missed any deer incidents!!

Rocco looks too cute

Reactions: Jimbob76, V6_Man and Adam14
So cleaning the car this morning, just wondering if I'm expecting too much.

The 3rd pic is the car before (yes I know horrendous, 5 weeks of road works and ***** weather does this!) And the first two pics are after a snow foam and then rinse.

Used BH snow foam mixed with AF Avalanche to create more foam, but found very little dirt was shifted as such I felt the car was still very dirty when it came to contact washing.

Just wondering if I'm expecting too much from my snow foam or whether it should be shifting more dirt?

I'll upload pics of the clean car when finished!
286c1a415ade805956aebbf62efa785c.jpg
f8e6469c0229fbbdfdc2f4e818efd8b5.jpg
7a5d1c6ad1c4b46bfe8880cd7fbb84c3.jpg

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: feva
LOVE your write ups mate, and great tips on the winter wash routine. As it happens, I have the polar snow, but just this week got the wash and seal for just this scenario (winter wash).

Glad you missed any deer incidents!!

Rocco looks too cute

Nev, just read Jimbob's post and the reference to the Deer. I am sure I must have missed it as I have not been active recently. I hope it wasn't serious and glad to hear you are OK buddy!

Reactions: Jimbob76 and NevMan
So cleaning the car this morning, just wondering if I'm expecting too much.

The 3rd pic is the car before (yes I know horrendous, 5 weeks of road works and ***** weather does this!) And the first two pics are after a snow foam and then rinse.

Used BH snow foam mixed with AF Avalanche to create more foam, but found very little dirt was shifted as such I felt the car was still very dirty when it came to contact washing.

Just wondering if I'm expecting too much from my snow foam or whether it should be shifting more dirt?

I'll upload pics of the clean car when finished!
286c1a415ade805956aebbf62efa785c.jpg
f8e6469c0229fbbdfdc2f4e818efd8b5.jpg
7a5d1c6ad1c4b46bfe8880cd7fbb84c3.jpg

How are you applying it and rinsing it off? Lance of pressure bottle?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

How are you applying it and rinsing it off? Lance of pressure bottle?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Snow foam Lance attached to my Karcher K4 for the foam and then rinsing using the normal Lance (twist to control pressure).

Snow foam Lance attached to my Karcher K4 for the foam and then rinsing using the normal Lance (twist to control pressure).

Your expectations are a too high mate with 5 weeks since your last wash if your to leave a larger period of time between washes...buy a Specific traffic film remover a TFR for short
They start from around £16 bangers for 5 litres

Reactions: Jimbob76 and Bristle Hound
Your expectations are a too high mate with 5 weeks since your last wash if your to leave a larger period of time between washes...buy a Specific traffic film remover a TFR for short
They start from around £16 bangers for 5 litres
@Adam14 - Agree with @jassyo06 on this one (yes I know it makes change lol)

TFR is the way to go
Just make sure you get the right one
https://www.detailingwiki.org/detailing-miscellaneous/traffic-film-remover/

If you have a Boyes Store near you they do a decent one for £6.50 for 5 litres
Or £9.99 delivered on Amazon for 5litres
Search on Amazon Uk -
CarPlan TFR505 CarPlan Trade Valet Super TFR

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Adam14
@Adam14 - Agree with @jassyo06 on this one (yes I know it makes change lol)

TFR is the way to go
Just make sure you get the right one
https://www.detailingwiki.org/detailing-miscellaneous/traffic-film-remover/

If you have a Boyes Store near you they do a decent one for £6.50 for 5 litres
Or £9.99 delivered on Amazon for 5litres
Search on Amazon Uk -
CarPlan TFR505 CarPlan Trade Valet Super TFR
Cheers will look into this. Just one of those things with the car getting filthy!

Before and after as promised.
832cbf6bfed04d86677891b5e6c9bc98.jpg
97577a5aa18426a7bc107b74a3692ac3.jpg

Reactions: S32B, A4A4, BarryG79 and 6 others
Cheers will look into this. Just one of those things with the car getting filthy!

Before and after as promised.
832cbf6bfed04d86677891b5e6c9bc98.jpg
97577a5aa18426a7bc107b74a3692ac3.jpg

That was one Dirty Murtha Flocker of a car mate lol

Reactions: CHEZ, Jimbob76, NevMan and 1 other person
Nev, just read Jimbob's post and the reference to the Deer. I am sure I must have missed it as I have not been active recently. I hope it wasn't serious and glad to hear you are OK buddy!

Yep, all ok mate, but not for the deer. Just over £3k damage.

Front Dashcam:

Damage:

def9915b3a49d4b5656fd390bc943e03.jpg
d845b8be4a342abd8f9b405b7ba9f2b6.jpg
b54591971693ebf3559036546d57a632.jpg

Fixed:

fa1660eab4f9e72e150ea05bec6a27b9.jpg
d27e3cc62a739cb0e2249cb1703425bf.jpg
51d13538e6bd3d3fe03ac05ab74acaae.jpg

Reactions: A4A4, Jimbob76, BarryG79 and 2 others
Yep, all ok mate, but not for the deer. Just over £3k damage.

Front Dashcam:

Damage:

def9915b3a49d4b5656fd390bc943e03.jpg
d845b8be4a342abd8f9b405b7ba9f2b6.jpg
b54591971693ebf3559036546d57a632.jpg

Fixed:

fa1660eab4f9e72e150ea05bec6a27b9.jpg
d27e3cc62a739cb0e2249cb1703425bf.jpg
51d13538e6bd3d3fe03ac05ab74acaae.jpg

It was a lucky miss mate and glad there wasn't any serious damage. X3 is back to its former glory. When are you planning on recoating it or are you...

Reactions: NevMan
It was a lucky miss mate and glad there wasn't any serious damage. X3 is back to its former glory. When are you planning on recoating it or are you...

Will probably redo the front bumper and trim in the spring mate

Will probably redo the front bumper and trim in the spring mate

OMG Nev, hope you and yours are OK! Them are not 'nice' pics. :sadlike:

For sure we have lots of them antler beasties on Cannock Chase and one has to be mega mindful; not good, sorry to see/hear that news... :sorry:

OMG Nev, hope you and yours are OK! Them are not 'nice' pics. :sadlike:

For sure we have lots of them antler beasties on Cannock Chase and one has to be mega mindful; not good, sorry to see/hear that news... :sorry:

Thanks John, all good with us, but not the deer or X3 at the time

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks John, all good with us, but not the deer or X3 at the time

We do get lots of warnings, Nev, but the buggers, like yours I guess, can't read:

Welcome

Reactions: NevMan, THQuattro and Bristle Hound
Gave the summer wheels a thorough clean, decon, polish and coating of carbon collective platinum wheels! Followed @X3man 's post and advice given (thanks!) Seemed to go ok, only applying a few drops for a full face of wheel seemed to be too little but stuck with recommended amount.

Hopefully has coated the full wheel, curing for two hours now and then will go see how the coating has gone...fingers crossed.

Reactions: NevMan, THQuattro, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Gave the summer wheels a thorough clean, decon, polish and coating of carbon collective platinum wheels! Followed @X3man 's post and advice given (thanks!) Seemed to go ok, only applying a few drops for a full face of wheel seemed to be too little but stuck with recommended amount.

Hopefully has coated the full wheel, curing for two hours now and then will go see how the coating has gone...fingers crossed.

@Adam14 - You know the forum rules my friend
No pic’s ? It didn’t happen ... ;):D

Reactions: NevMan and Scotty75
Done a water test this morning and was sheeting off lovely, pretty chuffed! Now to get some wheel bags for them from Audi.

Good work! But where are the pics?

Reactions: Adam14
Done a water test this morning and was sheeting off lovely, pretty chuffed! Now to get some wheel bags for them from Audi.

Reactions: Adam14
So I went to wash my partners fiesta today, a challenge on it's own as the wind was so strong the water out of the hose just blew away. I found this, still shorts weather though you see:
20191214 150546