What do u do for a living?

I

imported_Strider81

Just wandering what people on here do for a living?

Im looking to eneter the field of banking/finance as ive just graduated.

wot about u?

I work for a global freight forwarding company in Heathrow, Im basically their desktop manager and incharge of deployment, installation and upgrading of all IT equipment in our 11 other branches throughout UK and Ireland. Will be taking over as Citrix administrator and Server Manager early next year when the current person leaves to move abroad so looking forward to that and also the payrise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I'm a cabinet maker. Used to work in town as a quality control manager for a furnture retailer but decided to have an early mid life crisis and go back to designing and making furniture.

All good fun, a bit like doing CDT at school but getting paid for it!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Design & Engineering manager & director of a company in the Oil & Gas sector, which we set up 2 yrs ago. Roll on 3 yrs time when I start getting some money back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob, either your around the same age as me or do they still call it CDT these days ?

Just come back from the Abt Sportsline headquarters in Germany having finished my Abt EDaS training, basically I have the sole contract to chip/remap cars for Abt Sportsline in the UK, this is being done via main dealers only.
All work is covered by the Abt warranty which matches the manufacturers warranty so there are no worries from customers about warranty issues which makes my job alot easier as alot of customers have brand new cars.
Have to say I was very impressed with the Abt facility, with over 150 employees and the DTM team based there it's nothing like any tuning company I've been to before.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Design & Engineering manager & director of a company in the Oil & Gas sector, which we set up 2 yrs ago. Roll on 3 yrs time when I start getting some money back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob, either your around the same age as me or do they still call it CDT these days ?

[/ QUOTE ]

guys i loved CDT and i must be in the same age group as its now called somethng like Design Technology or to that extent.

Yep CDT in my day too! I remember making a phone table with cushioned seat and drawers for address books. Did the job my dad still uses it at his house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

it crossed from CDT to design technology when i was at school (6 years ago i finished!)

I made a vacuum formed maze and my initials out of perspex.
the f'ing thing took weeks to make and i was doing a spot of final polishing and the M broke off. So I was left with a very strangely shaped A. never did get over it!! still being councilled!!!!

im a central heating engineer/ plumber...... i dont realy know why or how i ended up doing this.... ???
one of lifes mysterys......
i am from the cdt era. i was susspended from school once for heating up a set of metal tongues with a burner in the heat treatment room, then asking my tw@t of a teacher to pass me them........ ha ha ha i also put the register though the bench saw.
ahhh those were the days....
im fondly reminissing now.........
one time, i was lurking by the school canteen at break time with some other delinquents.... it was winter and i was drinking a cup of vegetable soup. arsing around, i dropped the soup on the shiny polished floor, seconds later, one of the most hated teachers in the whole school came waltzing round the corner, only to go completly **** over tit, slipping in the soup.
she bashed her head on the floor real hard and was knocked out for a second and when she came round (to us sreaming with laughter) she presumed that the soup on the floor which was now all over her, was her own vomit, and that she had had some kind of convulsion.
i said nothing, and she spent a few days in hospital having all sorts of tests done.
so if you reading this, mrs raymond, brookvale comprehensive school. im still not sorry. you big nosed witch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

those were the days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif myzeneye thats cruel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I previously worked in a chinese take away 4 nights a week at my peak for 4 years, and that's why i'm a fat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!!!

am doing engineering degree now, well at least will be continuing into 3rd year if i've passed!!!

I am an Instrument Technician.

Currently working in Azerbaijan on pipeline.

Being a fossil we did not have CDT.

I did Metalwork , Woodwoork and Tech drawing..

We had design realisation, design technology and graphic design. back in the late 80`s.

suppose CDT = craft design technology.

god now i feel old but it is 6am at the end of a 12 hr night shift. Oh im a sparky btw maintaining the bottling lines.

Design engineer for an control systems & automation company.

Qualified in Mechanical Engineering from university but took the wrong "Y" in the road and ended up doing this. Should have stuck with the mechanical or entered the building trade - less stress then.

I too am in the banking and finance sector, just send cheques to the usual address please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Officially: "Technical Services Consultant"

What does it mean? No idea, but I get to go around lots of call centres full of lovely young women and install, design, and consult them on their telephone systems..... (Voice over IP only, of course)... Then entertain them after I am done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Other than that, I sit in the office, playing all kinds of office sports and general tom-foolery.... being consulted by "lesser" engineers....

How I got here is a mystery - I don't have a qualification to my name and spent the 1st 12 years of my working life as an "Aftersales Components Sales Executive" (Parts guy) for various motor manufacturers....

[ QUOTE ]
I too am in the banking and finance sector, just send cheques to the usual address please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly do u do then tdi?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

HE works for British Gas which i suppose is part of the financial sector due to there astronomical prices ....hahahaha.....only joking mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

I'm doing a degree in land management at University of Reading, just finished my second year. Will end up as a surveyor if i finish....

[ QUOTE ]
We had design realisation, design technology and graphic design. back in the late 80`s.

god now i feel old but it is 6am at the end of a 12 hr night shift. Oh im a sparky btw maintaining the bottling lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly it was Control / Design / Technology

[ QUOTE ]
Design engineer for an control systems & automation company.

Qualified in Mechanical Engineering from university but took the wrong "Y" in the road and ended up doing this. Should have stuck with the mechanical or entered the building trade - less stress then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less stress in mechanical or building ?, certainly not in mechanical, if only...I wish !

i've just finished my dynamics exam which is all control and different order systems. i quite fancy the control approach, so hope it ain't that bad!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Craft, Design and Technology actually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it must have been different for me then, as it involved control systems together with the arts and crafts.

I think I should change careers.

Crazy Frog tribute band.

Frog's Born Again!!!

A Gartnavel Cherry Picker..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it must have been different for me then, as it involved control systems together with the arts and crafts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Control systems are covered under the technology part, sure you din't study Control, Arts and Crafts?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Control systems are covered under the technology part, sure you din't study Control, Arts and Crafts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps i'm mistaken, or the lecturer was on drugs, or better still i was on drugs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
HE works for British Gas which i suppose is part of the financial sector due to there astronomical prices ....hahahaha.....only joking mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Grass. Well there goes endless posts on finance b-s! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yeah I did Design & Technology as well as Computer studies, Technical Communications, Art, Chemistry and Physics.
School was so much fun... not!

I fly buses in the air for Aer Lingus...

he he I wish!

I'm a radio presenter for a station in Dublin. A lot less exciting than it sounds!