What do you do for a living?

I will soon be driving around in silver Skoda Octavias with blue and yellow batternburg reflective graphics and blue flashing lights.

KRSOne sang a song about my sound.

I'm a mechanical engineer by training (not long finished a 4 year apprentiship) and I'm now a process engineer setting up and troubleshooting injection moulding tools for Avent, for those of you with young kids I'm sure you'll know the name :sm4:

I'm a production engineer for a North Sea Oil operator (Marathon) basically making sure as much oil & gas comes out of the ground as possible to take advantage of $60/bbl while it still lasts.

Mike

The kitchens thing is handy, thinking about doing mine and posting a question about recommendations... spooky.

Geordie Mike said:
I'm a production engineer for a North Sea Oil operator (Marathon) basically making sure as much oil & gas comes out of the ground as possible to take advantage of $60/bbl while it still lasts.
So are North Sea supplies gonna run out like we keep being told they are???

I own a security company, supplying door staff to Nightclubs, we also provide training to other security companies to Security Industry Authority Standards.

Currently I have 120 staff.

Lots of successful people looks like i'm letting the side down.:ermm:

I'm assistant manager of a branch of motorworld and i fit stereos for some extra cash because the money is rubbish :(

I work in converged networks, dealing mainly in Cisco VoIP (Callmanager, Unity, IPCC etc). I travel throughout Scotland designing/installing data networks and VoIP telephony systems for clients.

I've only just made a big jump - I moved away from a large integrator to join a relatively new company setup by a few guys I've worked with over the years. I've got a stake in the company so I'm hoping it all takes off!!!

Interesting thread BTW :thumbsup:

Randomjim said:

I'm assistant manager of a branch of motorworld and i fit stereos for some extra cash because the money is rubbish :(

Can beat that - probably going to be thought of as the scum of the site saying this but hey ho!

Customer relationship management officer for the Department for Works and Pensions :sorry:

I can tell the abuse is about to start!! :crying:

joost said:
Can beat that - probably going to be thought of as the scum of the site saying this but hey ho!

Customer relationship management officer for the Department for Works and Pensions :sorry:

I can tell the abuse is about to start!! :crying:

At least you have a job mate, Scum are those who don't work and sponge of the government at our expense, even working in Maccy D's on minimum pay is better than sitting on your backside doing jack.... :thumbsup:

jojo said:
At least you have a job mate, Scum are those who don't work and sponge of the government at our expense, even working in Maccy D's on minimum pay is better than sitting on your backside doing jack.... :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, can't say I'm proud to admit I work there but like you say - at least I'm working!

I'm a Java Application / Software Engineer for a technology company. We look after contracts with Sky, BAA, Channel 4 etc etc, bit a boring job to be honest, but it means I get to stay near York instead of having to be based down south.

I'm a performance tester..basically test software for load and speed. currently working at Sky, but tend to move around a bit.

auroan said:
I'm a Java Application / Software Engineer for a technology company. We look after contracts with Sky, BAA, Channel 4 etc etc, bit a boring job to be honest, but it means I get to stay near York instead of having to be based down south.

you work for Ioko?

I am in my final year of university. I am studying Financial Services.

I also work part time at Tesco on the Meat counter to earn some drinking money and make sure I have no student debt.

benw123 said:
So are North Sea supplies gonna run out like we keep being told they are???

In a word No... Aberdeen and the North Sea has never been more bouyant (Pardon the pun!) Life expectancy is at least 15 - 20 years (Assuming someone doesn't roll over on the "Big Red Button" during their sleep!!) Beyond that though we've already started importing Oil from other sources Other than the Big A!! Places like Kahzakstan etc export Gas & Oil to the UK through various large Pipelines including "Langleland" and hits the UK from Russia at Easington in Hull. Other major Exporters are Canada looking to have alliances with Scotland due to the amount of Ex Pats over there (and if your in need of a job Canada is the place to go with Top Dollar being paid for basic mechanical skills!!) and they are looking to be bigger that the "Big US of A" by 2020!! Current O&G Projects in the UK was set by the DTI at 3.5 Billion and for the last two years have doubled in monies spent i.e 6.5 Billion and this year expected to be 9 billion plus.... So no, no panic buying yet...:blow: :faint: :friends:

28v6 said:
In a word No... Aberdeen and the North Sea has never been more bouyant (Pardon the pun!) Life expectancy is at least 15 - 20 years (Assuming someone doesn't roll over on the "Big Red Button" during their sleep!!) Beyond that though we've already started importing Oil from other sources Other than the Big A!! Places like Kahzakstan etc export Gas & Oil to the UK through various large Pipelines including "Langleland" and hits the UK from Russia at Easington in Hull. Other major Exporters are Canada looking to have alliances with Scotland due to the amount of Ex Pats over there (and if your in need of a job Canada is the place to go with Top Dollar being paid for basic mechanical skills!!) and they are looking to be bigger that the "Big US of A" by 2020!! Current O&G Projects in the UK was set by the DTI at 3.5 Billion and for the last two years have doubled in monies spent i.e 6.5 Billion and this year expected to be 9 billion plus.... So no, no panic buying yet...:blow: :faint: :friends:

Ad Borat would say " I LIKE "

Randomjim said:

Just a matter of finding the right opening mate, and you will be up and away.

Working for somone else isnt the best, try and branch out on your own.

I work for a large accountancy practice helping lawyers when they have litigation cases involving compelx finance issues or calculations.

Never a dull day!

We occasionally get to give evidence in Court which can be quite daunting!!

maz1975 said:
I'm a performance tester..basically test software for load and speed. currently working at Sky, but tend to move around a bit.

you work for Ioko?

Hmmm, that would be telling ;-) .......

I'm a Study Manager working for one of the biggest Pharmaceutical companies.
Used to be in Data Management which I miss. Mainly project management now, but when I have time I still get to play around with databases.

Randomjim said:

Thankfully another NORMAL person then LOL i just read water meters!

Fair amount of comms people on here then.... you can tell we're busy during the day...

28v6 said:
Nice one - good summary! Must be an interesting job anyway.

I work for Tesco's distribution, ensuring the right stock makes its way onto the right lorry etc in time.
I am self training MCSE/MCSA etc

I am a qualified mechanic, but as AndyTQ stated, no money in that really and crap working conditions

Need more money to buy turbo stuff

I work for T-Mobile mainting the masts mainly ground work in the cabins at the bottom of them replacing hardware and microwave radios. Driving about the country or sitting in the house when there is no faults!!!!

..the fact that I am dossing on here all day posting pics of porsches should give away what I do for a living

I'm a civil servant :undwech:

I'm a Marketing Assistant for a Construction Company.

silver75 said:
..the fact that I am dossing on here all day posting pics of porsches should give away what I do for a living

I'm a civil servant :undwech:

:laugh: thank god our taxes are being put to good use, you can never have too many Porsche pics

whoever said the public sector was littered with inefficiences ;)

nice one

I'm a senior artist at a computer game company. Just finished up on an Xbox 360 title that gets released early next year.

Am a computer programmer within the world of SAP....

But bought a house in April... made redundant in July (no mortgage protection)... babe was born in August... clutch went in S3 (£1000 plus other bits) September...

so basically I am on the dole....

Hard lines mate.......we use SAP for our accounts very good software..sure your luck will change

beaker said:
I'm a senior artist at a computer game company. Just finished up on an Xbox 360 title that gets released early next year.

Any room for an aprentice :laugh:

timber technician a.k.a joiner/chippie would love to be a cop but not enough bucks to get me by. dont know what save means ? live for the moment ! :yahoo: