What don't you like about your A3

If I'm right in thinking iPhone 6's and Galaxy S5's won't fit in there?

TlK63EqhLMM3epoSS1W.gif

Reactions: danilotto and Blackwhite
OK, so these are some things that irritate me a bit - not things I think should be "standard" because at the end of the day that's just how things are these days - everything's an option. And you know what you're getting when you buy it! So...

* When the car is at standstill the stop/start icon displays in the dash screen both in the clock position AND in the bottom left - why??? I don't need to know twice! When I'm stopped in traffic is the time I'm most likely to want to look at the clock!
* No way to stop the MMI screen popping up every time you start the car.
-- on the topic of the MMI screen popping up, it's quite annoying that it does so on the right hand rocker switch (media/radio) - 95% of the time I just want to switch between the two without the MMI coming up. I'm sure a single-press to switch and double to raise would be better.
* The big yellow sticker glued to the passenger sunvisor with what appears to be industrial strength superglue.
* The sat nav repeat button on the steering wheel seems a waste of space for a more useful button IMO, especially given the fact that a) the music lowers when voice commands are being spoken and b) you can see the turning instructions etc on the screen in front of you and on the MMI.
* When you assign the "user" steering button as switching between radio/media, that doesn't change the light on the rocker switches when the MMI is down. So if you put it on radio on the rocker switch and then use the steering button to change to media , the light stays illuminated for Radio.
* Sat Nav favourites are linked to your mobile phone. Great - until your battery goes, you change phones etc.
* It's an absolute nightmare trying to get "Album Browser" to work display compilations nicely - lots of MP3 tag messing needs to be done. It should group by the album artist in browser but display the track artist when playing - instead you have to set the artist of all your tracks to "Various Artists".
* The washer jets have a mind of their own and seem to wander randomly around the screen over time. Audi adjusted them back again for me but they're back to spraying all over the place again now.
* MMI only half-supports the iphone for messaging. It's the most common phone in the world!

Reactions: lucas-suisse
* MMI only half-supports the iphone for messaging. It's the most common phone in the world!

This one, is down to Apple, and their incomplete implementation of the bluetooth stack. :(

Reactions: David83S3, RedTurtle and illingworth22
Can I ask, is this vibration everyone's complaing about with the DSG?

I've got the 1.4 COD manual on order and if this does it I'll be screwing

No the complaints are about a vibration when the COD kicks in, manual or DSG. But I've never experienced it in 4,000 miles so far. On the contrary this engine is an absolute peach and is the smoothest I've ever driven.

Oh god I pray mine has no rattles. Had enough of the SEAT because of constant suspension noises, rattling windows and plastics. Probably the sport suspension is to blame and outright cheap interior. That's why I specced SE suspension, especially when testing the s line suspension and heard the same noise from the front end over a bump as the SEAT, put me right off. Test drove an A3 SE and heard no noises + suspension was great so here's to hoping, but the rattles in the SEAT drive me insane. I had a Ford Focus that had a few noises in the interior over rough ground but nothing annoying, also a fabric noise from the rear seats but it never got on my nerves, I can tolerate some thing but others get on my nerves..

Just thought of another. The tailpipes carb up too quickly and are a pita to clean.

It annoys me just *knowing* theyre dirty.

Reactions: RYuill
Went on a road trip yesterday, did approx 400 miles. Half way through the trip the washer fluid warning light sounded, ok no problem or so I thought........

It went off every few minutes for the remainder of the journey (almost 2hrs) how ANNOYING sort it out Audi :banghead:

Went on a road trip yesterday, did approx 400 miles. Half way through the trip the washer fluid warning light sounded, ok no problem or so I thought........

It went off every few minutes for the remainder of the journey (almost 2hrs) how ANNOYING sort it out Audi :banghead:

If only there was a way for you to sort it....;)

Reactions: David83S3
GEAR SHIFT INDICATOR, hate it with a passion.
Would be nice to have some settings on the dis to control the car instead of them all being on the MMI system.
Sometimes the car won't go in gear
It gets dirty too quickly.
I get backache on long journeys (over an hour) should have lumbar as standard, even if manual.
The sat nav forgets my home address, I've deleted now for obvious reasons, but it shouldn't just "disappear" from the system
No way to control spotify from my phone, my main way of listening to music now, not my iPod nano in the glovebox
No vanity mirrors as standard - embarrassing that a Peugeot 308 will come with them as standard.
There are other things I can think of as well, but they are the primary things on a day-to-day basis.

If only there was a way for you to sort it....;)

Ha ha..... In fairness it was absolutely pouring with rain all journey but I'll post up a techy question now, see if anyone knows the fix?! :)

The repeated audible warning was a bit too much though.

GEAR SHIFT INDICATOR, hate it with a passion.
Would be nice to have some settings on the dis to control the car instead of them all being on the MMI system.
Sometimes the car won't go in gear
It gets dirty too quickly.
I get backache on long journeys (over an hour) should have lumbar as standard, even if manual.
The sat nav forgets my home address, I've deleted now for obvious reasons, but it shouldn't just "disappear" from the system
No way to control spotify from my phone, my main way of listening to music now, not my iPod nano in the glovebox
No vanity mirrors as standard - embarrassing that a Peugeot 308 will come with them as standard.
There are other things I can think of as well, but they are the primary things on a day-to-day basis.

You can turn off the gear shift indicator with VCDS

* Select Module 17 (Instruments)
* Select Coding - 07
* Go to Long Coding
* Select Byte 1
* De-select Bit 5

Thats because your washer fluid was teetering on the edge of the sensor, just use more washer fluid and it will dip further below the sensor and will just stay on the dash as a warning light instead of sounding every 5 mins.

My sd tracks have self-propagated- up to three copies of the same track!

The three dirt lines that accumulate on the bonnet! Still not washed my car since I picked it up but have now left it outside in the rain hoping it will rinse those lines away.

Reactions: /dev/null
The sat nav forgets my home address, I've deleted now for obvious reasons, but it shouldn't just "disappear" from the system.

The home address in the sat nav is linked to the phone that you have hooked up with bluetooth, which means that if you change your phone it'll disappear, and also anyone nicking your car (and not your phone) isn't going to find out where you live.

You can turn off the gear shift indicator with VCDS

* Select Module 17 (Instruments)
* Select Coding - 07
* Go to Long Coding
* Select Byte 1
* De-select Bit 5

Hi, I don't have the software, I don't want to ruin this thread with VCDS talk but I have heard the cable is around 300 quid then you run the risk of doing something to mess up the car. If I could do it I would disable it, add visual rear parking sensors, dipping passenger mirror and needle sweep.

Reactions: RYuill
The home address in the sat nav is linked to the phone that you have hooked up with bluetooth, which means that if you change your phone it'll disappear, and also anyone nicking your car (and not your phone) isn't going to find out where you live.

Probably doesn't each time I get in and out of the car it seems.

I have to say I'm amazed that the Connect option isn't able to stream music over the Internet. You can hook a phone up to it using the MMI app and stream some stuff that way but there's still no support for Spotify and why is a phone needed at all when the car has its own Internet connection?!

A few issues:
  • The inability of the Navigation system to actually pronounce any street names properly - need to read the screen to understand what she is saying ....
  • lack of information on the cars systems, such as water temperature (on the S3), oil pressure etc. Could easily have been shown on the 7" inch screen.
  • rattles from the drivers door - wonder how much I have to spend on a car that doesn't rattle or don't they exist.

Thats because your washer fluid was teetering on the edge of the sensor, just use more washer fluid and it will dip further below the sensor and will just stay on the dash as a warning light instead of sounding every 5 mins.

You'd think they'd link it to the bonnet sensor wouldn't you, so it doesn't "switch off" until the bonnet has been raised.

Just thought of another. The tailpipes carb up too quickly and are a pita to clean.

It annoys me just *knowing* theyre dirty.

One word - Autosol.

Buy some, use it, believe in magic! Also works wonders in the bathroom, I've discovered :D

It seems most of the Sat/Nav problems could be solved by using a TomTom or Garmin Sat/Nav. I still use a 6 year old TomTom and don't get any of the problems mentioned. It it also hard-wired in to the car so there is on a very short (50mm) of wire showing. I can also use the excellent PGPSW camera database, easily download and add my own sets of POI's by connecting the unit to my laptop or PC out of the car.

If at some stage Audi decide to include a screen with a proper operating system we will be able to load whichever system we like at considerable less than Audi charge for the built-in Sat/Nav.

It seems most of the Sat/Nav problems could be solved by using a TomTom or Garmin Sat/Nav. I still use a 6 year old TomTom and don't get any of the problems mentioned. It it also hard-wired in to the car so there is on a very short (50mm) of wire showing. I can also use the excellent PGPSW camera database, easily download and add my own sets of POI's by connecting the unit to my laptop or PC out of the car.

If at some stage Audi decide to include a screen with a proper operating system we will be able to load whichever system we like at considerable less than Audi charge for the built-in Sat/Nav.

That's true, i never had the issue of unintelligible pronunciation on either of the Navman or TomTom units I have used, but as the Sat/Nav comes standard in the Aussie S3, it would be nice if it spoke intelligible English.

There's nothing wrong with the pronunciation from the satnav at all - I've never had any trouble understanding it.

And I don't care how neatly you route your cables, an aftermarket nav system is an ugly mess compared to the integration of Audi's OEM system.

Reactions: a3_phil and Pulp84
There's nothing wrong with the pronunciation from the satnav at all - I've never had any trouble understanding it.

I am not referring to the directions and instructions given by the system, but the pronunciation of the street/road names.

I don't know where you are from and maybe its a matter of regional differences of UK English, Euro English and Australian English, but to put it simply I need to read the street names on the display in front of me, because the pronunciations are wrong.

It does a pretty good job of street and town names in my experience.

It does a pretty good job of street and town names in my experience.
but you haven't answered my question though,, are you referring to Aus. version, more specifically Sydney street names or are you referring to the UK version ?

One word - Autosol.

Buy some, use it, believe in magic! Also works wonders in the bathroom, I've discovered :D
Is that not quite abrasive and will cause damage over time?

Mind you, I've just looked and you could be right! Ordered Autosol Liquid Chrome Cleaner now :D

but you haven't answered my question though,, are you referring to Aus. version, more specifically Sydney street names or are you referring to the UK version ?

Ah sorry, yes I'm on about the UK version - of course it could be worse at pronunciation over there.

I'm actually surprised how good it is - of course it gets things wrong now and then but I'm often surprised how well it manages to pronounce some weird names.

And I don't care how neatly you route your cables, an aftermarket nav system is an ugly mess compared to the integration of Audi's OEM system.

Personally I would much rather have a very flexible system that works as I want it to than one that just looks good (to some people) and costs a lot of money for what it is. When I used the inbuilt system for the day when I had a test drive I thought is was rubbish compared with what I'm used to.

In my case I much prefer my Sat/Nav to be on my right-hand side and one that can work with a touch QWERTY keyboard than have to use the silly MMI system. The only time the MMI screen is raised in my car is when I'm reversing and the camera is used otherwise I think the dashboard looks a lot better without it. To me it's the worst part of the 8V is the MMI system and the pop-up screen. I have thought so since I first saw the new 8V and my opinion hasn't changed. It's all the other good things about the 8V that made me decide to buy one.

Reactions: lucas-suisse
Personally I would much rather have a very flexible system that works as I want it to than one that just looks good (to some people) and costs a lot of money for what it is. When I used the inbuilt system for the day when I had a test drive I thought is was rubbish compared with what I'm used to.

We know. You take every opportunity to say how rubbish you think the inbuilt Audi nav systems are and how much better your Tomtom is. I'm merely taking the opportunity to say that I don't agree with you at all. I think aftermarket systems look rubbish tacked on the dash, don't offer as nice or as large a display, don't integrate with the DIS nor lower audio volume to give directions. Sure they have advantages, such as speed camera warnings and lower cost but it's all a question of what's important to you and we all have different priorities.

Reactions: Pulp84 and mjcourtney
We know. You take every opportunity to say how rubbish you think the inbuilt Audi nav systems are and how much better your Tomtom is. I'm merely taking the opportunity to say that I don't agree with you at all. I think aftermarket systems look rubbish tacked on the dash, don't offer as nice or as large a display, don't integrate with the DIS nor lower audio volume to give directions. Sure they have advantages, such as speed camera warnings and lower cost but it's all a question of what's important to you and we all have different priorities.
As always, each to his own. At least, unlike the new A3 e-tron, the Audi Sat/Nav is still an option so we can each choose to have it or not. My post was prompted by the number of members saying about the things they don't like about the built-in Sat/Nav, all of which are available on my aftermarket unit.

S3 8v here:

* 6 gears are not enough. Must be 7 gear (we are in 10-gears-era).
* Passenger side mirror not dimming
* No clock in the DIS when in tacho view. Why only the date?
* I'd prefer oil temp (not coolant: oil!) to the useless "boost" indicator.
* the key flipping in my pockets.
* Mine is 3-door and the seat mechanism is ill-conceived. My Volkswagen Lupo from 2001 was much better: basically the same "pivoting" mechanism of the A3 8L
* If I switch off the car with the MMI muted it switches back on playing.

Reactions: mfl