What don't you like about your A3

Just two things I noticed while having a little trip back home to the UK this last couple of days....

When you have the Sat Nav running.... you loose the Trip Mileometer and the Digital Speed Display (this is needed as my speedometer is in KPH and with the constant speed changes on the ****** motorways and other roads its a ****** with an S3 to keep to the speed limits!

Also when you have Sat Nav running or if you have the Digital Speedo on you loose the Trip and the time from the display!

Little niggles!

Did you ever find anyone? Is there no "Have VCS, will code for beer' thead here?
Oh i agreed to sort it with v8 in the new year, just been rather busy.

Check out the vcds maps.

Reactions: Flibble and veeeight
My exhaust tips are now pitted in 10,000 miles.

Audi say this is cosmetic, and not a warranty item.

My exhaust tips are now pitted in 10,000 miles.

Audi say this is cosmetic, and not a warranty item.

Yes it will seriously annoy me if mine end up pitted after only 10k miles, and mine already annoy me in that the 2 inner pipes blacken up quite quickly, and I've only had it 10 days! I've started keeping a microfibre I the boot to give them a wipe clean whenever I see them sooting up.

I clean mine everyday. Can't stand dirty exhausts tips! I keep a microfibre in the boot too

What do you mean by pitted?

I have a TFSI and mine go dull, almost a yellowy/golden look - so I crack out the chrome polish and it gets rid :)

Should be fine if u keep on top of it, I know it's a pain in the **** and u shouldn't have to but if u are relentless with keeping them clean, a daily wipe should should be enough, they should stay nice. I think the pitting is a result of letting the carbon/soot sit long enough to bed in and eat away the poor quality chrome produced these days.

I take the opportunity to point out another thing that I do not like of my S3 S-Tronic. In 6th gear something whines from 90km/h to 140 km/h. It is not a loud whine but it is enough to be bothering. I cannot address the origin, if it is from the gearbox, from the differentials or from the haldex unit. Audi told me twice that they have not any technical solution for this issue and I must live with it. What do you think about?

Only two weeks into ownership and its great all round but digging deep I got caught out with the ILP not standard on S line and the rear seat armrest missing unless you choose through load - I tried to order it but was to late:angry:
I also feel the ALL electric seats options should have a memory facility. :pensive:

2 things that I wish my A3 TDI 8V S-Line had/did is.......

1. A setting to stop the MMI screen from coming up every time I turn on the ignition. Other than using it for the Sat-Nav I don't need it every time I drive the car!. I swear I'm going to wear out the mechanism lol

2. The Climate Control system has NO memory ?. Sometimes I just have it in LOW to let some cool air in, but when I press the AUTO button everything goes mental(because its in LOW) and I have to quickly turn the dial to 21 or 22. Why cant it just go straight to the temp I last used when I was last in AUTO!

Other than that HAPPY HAPPY :grinning::racer:

- The google search on the sat nav is rubbish. It could be great (as the old TomTom google search was), but it's pathetic. I've given up with it.
- Audi Connect is rubbish
- In fact all of the tech is pretty rubbish
- Interior rattles
- Engine rattles
- Boot is smaller than the 8p (my old one wasn't a quattro)
- Panther Black is just black but costs £750
- The standard stereo is unbelievably bad
- The rear spoiler drips water onto the rear screen for miles and miles in the mornings
- A tube of extra strong mints won't quite fit into the ashtray, the lid is just open meaning I have to eat at least two immediately

My list of things that I like about the car is much longer.

Lack of Dynamic lights. It peeves me when I see the 2015 Ford Mustang show off it's dynamic turn signals knowing Audi was going to do that but chickened out.

Lack of Park Assist. It peeves me when I see this as an option to A3s in Europe from the Audi Europe site yet it's non-existent here in the West. Yet the 2015 Chrysler 200 and Ford Focus have this feature available.

The instrument cluster should have looked like it was meant to be in the Concept:

No dash light to show headlights are on when in Auto mode, have to look down by my knee and usually take my hand off the steering wheel.

Manual gearbox won't go in to 1st when pulling away from standstill sometimes, very random but annoying as have to go 3rd then 1st while all the traffic in front pulls away.

The front screen wash nozzles seem to move at random, sometimes hit the bonnet, over the roof but sometimes fine.

Can't shuffle my old iPod using MMI cable.

People with fords, vauxhalls and golfs telling me about all the equipment that comes standard on their cars but would have been an expensive option on my £27k A3 S Line!

Apart from that absolutely love it!

Reactions: Snibo
I don't like the way the inside of my door sills get dirty as soon as it rains. Must be a weird water drain on these cars. Not just me.....a friend has the same issue.

Reactions: glospete, Devon A3, rennzwerg and 2 others
I don't like the way the inside of my door sills get dirty as soon as it rains. Must be a weird water drain on these cars. Not just me.....a friend has the same issue.
+1, slightest puddle or rain and the door sills look like they haven't been washed in a month. Think it's just enough water to trap the dirt but not enough to flush it out.

Interestingly the Q3 has sealed sills so the bottom of the door has a seal all the way around the external edge - no muck!

2 things that I wish my A3 TDI 8V S-Line had/did is.......

1. A setting to stop the MMI screen from coming up every time I turn on the ignition. Other than using it for the Sat-Nav I don't need it every time I drive the car!. I swear I'm going to wear out the mechanism lol

/QUOTE]
Just hold the control button/control down and turn the MMI off.

Absolutely ditto. I've had a lot of cars and can't recall this happening to any of them since the sixties!!

The ridiculously small fuel tank on the S3.

oh and how could I forget. Audi not including the headlamp washers in the A3.

Oh yeah, stay uncompromised Audi.

iUxwcKdg5K9kl.jpg

No dash light to show headlights are on when in Auto mode, have to look down by my knee and usually take my hand off the steering wheel.

Manual gearbox won't go in to 1st when pulling away from standstill sometimes, very random but annoying as have to go 3rd then 1st while all the traffic in front pulls away.

The front screen wash nozzles seem to move at random, sometimes hit the bonnet, over the roof but sometimes fine.

Can't shuffle my old iPod using MMI cable.

People with fords, vauxhalls and golfs telling me about all the equipment that comes standard on their cars but would have been an expensive option on my £27k A3 S Line!

Apart from that absolutely love it!
Mine does this with first gear from time to time! Letting the clutch up and then trying again makes it work. Or it will pop in if you keep your hand on the gear stick and pull away

That i don't pick it up until 4 weeks on Wednesday.

Reactions: Simon L
I have Interior Lighting Pack. Little lights everywhere. But not one round the ignition key!!!

Reactions: Ignition1
I have Interior Lighting Pack. Little lights everywhere. But not one round the ignition key!!!

Yes!!! And because it's dark you end up scratching around the black rim of the key slot...leaving little marks all over it. Over time it will look terrible.

Generally the rest of the car is fine but I wish more of the "comfort" stuff was standard - i.e. parking sensors, auto sensing wipers, auto lights etc.

But then I guess it'll put people off from buying an A4!

Look at the cigarette lighter socket, the ring around the edge of it lights up red when the lights are on, also if u have the nav screen on the colours change to night mode :)

Only minor niggle for me is......

Wind buffering - Open Front Windows above 25mph.

Find that above 25mph its almost painful to have the front windows fully open. This means that driving along in 30mph zones with windows down is very difficult. I have tried several differnt seating positions and all seem to result in getting my head blown off.

Anyone else noticed this, or is this just me...??

Jungle

Find that above 25mph its almost painful to have the front windows fully open. This means that driving along in 30mph zones with windows down is very difficult. I have tried several differnt seating positions and all seem to result in getting my head blown off.

Jungle

Have you experimented with having the rears open a crack whilst doing this? Seems to make it better for me (sportback).

It's an issue with the SportBack and I have this too.

I had a courtesy car 3-door recently and no buffetting with both windows fully down.

New niggle: the design of the wing mirror mounts is such that they trap water and it dribbles down the door after cleaning and drying the car. Can't justify an air dryer as my car cleaning kit cupboard is rammed already.

Reactions: veeeight and MA3RC

Jungle

Have you thought about getting some wind deflectors? They'll re direct the air flow and means you can have the windows open a crack when it's raining

It's an issue with the SportBack and I have this too.

I had a courtesy car 3-door recently and no buffetting with both windows fully down.

New niggle: the design of the wing mirror mounts is such that they trap water and it dribbles down the door after cleaning and drying the car. Can't justify an air dryer as my car cleaning kit cupboard is rammed already.

Yes! This does my swede in! What I found works though is if you fold the mirror shut, wipe the joint, then fold it backwards on itself and do the same.

My girlfriends A1 has a really bad one on the boot though, so I guess I don't mind so much about the mirrors

The wind issue exists on the MY15 Golf GTDs as well - experienced it in a colleague's GTD the other day.

Wow ! .
I loved my 8P and had no "Real" issues. No rattles or odd noises. The interior feels a nice place to be.
I have just ordered a S3 and was expecting it to be better still not worse.
I am not into Tech so not really too fussed. Have order the sd sat nav , but don't know why have never had sat nav and tend to use maps.
I would agree that on the top range model like the S3 the extras are spartan. agree Sat Nav /ILP basic cruise and rear parking sensors should be standard.
On the MMI as long as I can work the music bit , I suspect I will not mess around much after the first couple of months once I find out what I like...

But hey negotiatied a good discount and then used the discount amount o build the options I wanted.

My only gripe is the sales staff in the dealership they seem to be doing you a grudging favour to take your order. Negotiate a discount , how dare you . After pressing the salesmen , the sales manager came out and " Sir, these are much sought after cars " .. Felt like punching him and nearly walked out. Lucky he came close to the deal I wanted.

The service dept ., have always been good.
I have also had god service from Audo UK in the past.

The biggest problem I have had in the past was with my daughters Toyota Aygo Had a design fault and the gearbox failed which they would not admit to. I found out via the Toyota forum that it was a known fault on these (and the Citroen/Pug) .
Dealer continued to refuse it existed. We had to pay for them to fit as new one. I eventually got refunded after producing the evidence to Toyota UK of the known fault.